Planetside 2 and Windows 8 compatibility issue

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Kryptonian, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Kryptonian

Was just wondering if any other Windows 8 users are having compatibility issues with running PS2. I installed the game fine but I am unable to launch the game. It crashes and gives me the Windows error : Planetside2exe has stopped working. I run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and it comes up Incompatible Program dectected. Are there any Devs or is there anyone that knows a fix for this problem? Thanks
  2. Infektion

Stop using windows 8. Problem solved... its a piece of crap anyways. Stop posting new threads, theres more like it TODAY.
  3. Amon

Windows 8 is worth it for the faster boot times alone. I feel sorry for anyone still stuck on Win 7.

How about just fixing the Windows 8 compatibility issue? Literally every other game seems to work fine on Win 8.
    • Up x 6
  4. Konyetz

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I am running Windows 8 64-bit. The thing is I played the entire beta, started out on Windows 7, went to Windows 8 in October and never had any issue with it. But ya, launcher loads, game installed, tries to run and get an error. =/
  5. G1n

lol don't be sorry for me, it is never recommended to upgrade to new OS at least 6 months after release. But its ok, you don't know much about computers or software.
    • Up x 1
  6. Haviland

Try removing any USB gaming devices like the Logitech G15.
    • Up x 3
  7. a golden fishy

Windows 8 is terrible, it is a tablet OS that was ported to PC because people think that it was "the future". Saying it has faster boot times isn't even that much of an argument, because if you have a decent computer, you should have a pretty fast HD that loads pretty damn fast. I timed my PC on a complete restart, it took ~30 seconds to completely restart and be back on my desktop. So dont say it has faster load times, because that is dependent on the HD you have.

As for fixing the compatibility problem, dont use Windows 8, the entire beta people were complaining about it, and really, for gaming, you shouldnt use a tablet OS to begin with. The only thing you can really do is load up a virtual box and have it run Windows 7, other than that, you are out of luck.
  8. Ealhdun

view your reliability history, If the problem is caused by dinput8.dll, download that file (from a reputable site or extract it from directX for win7 yourself), place it in your planetside2 folder and create a file called planetside2.exe.local
  9. jdos735

Do you even know why Microsoft made Windows 8 for? Windows 8 was meant for touchscreens, tablets, and the like. It seems to be meant for things other than desktop/laptop computers. I would stick with Windows 7 as it replaces Windows XP. Windows 8 has ARM support for tablets/touchscreens... while Windows 7 still has the x86/x64 support you need. Read before you pick an OS for gaming. I actually feel sorry for those that get the latest OS that Microsoft released... which is Windows 8.

http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...s-8-vs-windows-7-8-ways-its-different-1025285

http://www.techtous.com/blog/the-differences-between-windows-7-and-windows-8/

If you want to stick with Windows 8, that's your choice. I guess the devs will have to make Windows 8 compatible with the game... but don't come complaining if they decide to drop support of Windows 8 because the OS was made differently and wasn't meant toward gaming and x86/x64 applications.
  10. Amon

Actually I write software, and I'm quite familiar with the early-adopter curse. Yet this is literally the only game that seems to have this problem. Those of us on Windows 8 are coming here asking SOE to fix a bug that has been present since beta, and people like you are unhelpfully replying "don't use Windows 8". Going to back to an older, slower OS just so I can play PS2 is not going to happen. If SOE wants the maximum amount of customers, they need to fix the bug. Until then, I'll just stick to... every other game.
    • Up x 4
  11. Indecisive

Gotta agree here. Button press to start menu under 20 seconds with a half decent ssd. It has some challenges, but it has some great features for power users that make up for the wonkyness of the new start menu.
    • Up x 1
  12. jdos735

^ what he said - he hit the nail on the head
  13. Haviland

The dx8input.dll problem is not just on Windows 8, some games suffered from it on 7 and Vista.
  14. Ealhdun

I game and yet I use windows 8. I have 0 issues with it too. Windows 8 provides me benefits like better syncing with my mobile devices, faster start up, better resource allocation, lower power usage and uefi secure boot bios options.

Also game developers will support Windows 8 for new and online games because the majority of their customers will have windows 8 when they buy a new pc.
    • Up x 3
  15. Infektion

lol at stupid windows 8 users... my pc boots in less than a minute and that's with REAL hardware raid, which adds to boot time.
  16. Konyetz

Do people have nothing better to do than mock people with Windows 8? That's great you don't like or have Windows 8, it doesn't really help me with the problem.

I've extracted the DINPUT8.dll to my PS2 folder, run the regsvr32 and successfully registered the DLL, but the game is still crashing. I've also unplugged everything from the computer except my keyboard and mouse now. I've tried running in compatibility mode, as an admin and adding exceptions to my Antivirus and Firewall. And I've rebooted each time I've done something. Still not working. =/
  17. ArcaneGuardian

Misinformation! Misinformation everywhere!

But seriously, no. Windows 8 runs faster and uses less resources than Win 7. It also has a lot of nice new features that Win 7 didn't have (The new Task manager is AMAZING).

And I've worked in IT for years. The entire IT department where I work has started to switch both work and home computers over.

It has tablet/touch screen features in mind, but you can use it just the same as Win7, but with a modified start menu (Which you can easily get a new shell and replace that feature to make it use the Win7 start menu).

As for the topic at hand, make sure all your drivers are up to date, and your AV is allowing PS2. That was my problem back in beta. (Also, unplug all USB devices, and disable MSI Afterburner until after the game starts, then you can reenable it).

Edit:
    Go into your Event Viewer and look to see what is causing the crash.
    • Up x 2
  18. Pella

Same problem here. I managed to get to the server selection. But all the Text in the game was #...UI..## And stuff.

Now the client crashes soon as you press play.
  19. Amon

This fix posted in the other thread worked for me:

20. Anubis21

yea to everybody ******** about windows 8.

i fixed my problem.

it was MSI afterburner, now it works like a charm.

also the guy boasting about his 1 min boot time wohoo, excluding POST time (damn X58 chipset) windows 8 is up and running in about 15 sec, and i've got one of the early "slow" SSD's.

not to mention win 8 feels quicker and is generally much less complainy then windows 7
    • Up x 1