[Suggestion] Going prone? Do we want it or need it?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Terrince, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Terrince

Greetings all!
    I was playing a game that let you go prone and had the thought, what if we could go prone in PS2!?!
    (Not that I haven't thought about it before, I think all warfare games should give this ability to infantry)

I like the idea, though I don't realllllly see a must for it but to shake things up and some little tactics here and there.

What do y'all think?
  2. DarkQuark

That's really more of a sniper thing in my mind and when you can already turn invisible like a Hogwarts Wizard who needs to go prone.
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

It needs some hefty downsides to keep it balanced.

For example:
    • You cannot fire while moving.
    • Your turn rate has been reduced, think being hit by a concussion grenade.
    • If you exceed a certain turn-rate (even though it's already slowed down), your COF is increased.
    • Getting in and out of prone should take 0.5 seconds or so, increasing your COF to the maximum so you have to wait a moment for it to settle.
    This prevents things like adding prone to the ADAD dance. It makes prone a tactical choice with drawbacks in case you are flanked. It prevents prone being the standard position when waiting for enemies to approach. It prevents Stalkers from having too much advantage going prone somewhere.
  4. FLHuk

I played semi professional scenario paintball for ten years.
    • Never go up a tree
    • Never lay down
    • Never get into a hole
    • Always shoot them first!
    Nope, we don't need it :D
    • Up x 1
  5. DarkQuark

So essentially it's just like PS2 :p
    • Up x 1
  6. ZDarkShadowsZ

I don't see the point in having it. The current pace of the game is nice. Not to say everybody will instantly admire the ground in close-up detail, but it would encourage more floor snuggling and corner campers.
  7. Liewec123

I'd be fine with it being added, though as demi said it's need a duration to get in and out of it
    to stop it from being abused by the crouch spammers, if it did get added i'd like it to work like TR Max's Lockdown,
    Having an animation to enable it, then immobilising you and restricting turning angles, and having an animation to disable it.
    (I'd make the turning restriction 45°)
  8. pnkdth

I'm not inherently opposed to the idea buuuuut it is a new feature which has the potential to, in addition to taking up a lot of time to create new animations for everything, be a new fun way to create more bugs/exploits which layers on top the already hefty backlog of fixes and content they want to get out there.

It doesn't really fit the tempo of the game either since this isn't a mil sim and there's not much reason to advance through cover and hunker down.
  9. TheMercator

Imho the movement of the game is way to primitve for it to work.
  10. That_One_Kane_Guy

I see lots of potential issues for no real benefit. There isn't really a place in the gameplay for a prone mechanic and adding it will simply add another strain on Dev time and resources. Best to leave well enough alone.
    • Up x 1
  11. Clone117

id really rather have a bipod. In either case going prone in ps2 is akin to commiting suicide. As it would put most people at a significant disadvantage in doing so. It would have to turn weapons fired from said stance into lasers to even attempt to make up for the disadvantage prone would bring. In fact most would likely only ever use it to hide behind waist high objects.
  12. Scatterblak

Let's focus on the myriad of tragic, embarrassing design decisions that need to be addressed before looking at prone.