Jan. 12, 2021 - PC Update (Performance)

Discussion in 'Game Update Notes' started by jgolenbo, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgolenbo Communications Manager

All PC servers will come down for maintenance tomorrow, Tuesday, January 12, 2021, at 6am PST (3pm CET). Downtime is expected to last up to 2 hours.

---

Tomorrow's update introduces potential performance improvements released on PTS last week. These code changes apply better multi-thread support when new trackable objects (like players, NPCs, or projectiles) are introduced within your proximity range. The impact for the player should result in less "server lag" in large-scale battles. We'll be monitoring live servers closely after the patch, so please let us know if you run into any issues (we'll leave this thread open for comments/feedback).
    • Up x 7
  2. JibbaJabba

Bold move! Worth the regression bug risk, hope it helps!
  3. InexoraVC

Great and it works!
  4. ohnoooo

this patch has it's ups and downs, mostly downs as far as we can tell.
    • Getting a lot of hit-reg issues w' bullets not colliding w' targets. Had periods of time shooting a Yumi assault-rifle into a crowd of enemies where the red hit-marker would just not appear at all, & targets appear to take zero dmg.(No it's not my aim, s..shutup).
    • multi-seconds long spikes of server hitching for everyone @ once (which only sometimes shows as an increase in server ping). ie: everyone in the hex will have an experience as if they've been disconnected, with inability to get into vehicles, and things start floating around. At sometime between 0140UTC - 0200UTC on the 15th (today) my entire squad was disconnected from Emerald server. The whole server reset as far as we can tell; Strangely when we came back, although the Indar warpgates had rotated & the hex ownership reset - there was still some large player-bases dotted around, as if they alone had escaped the reset).
    • On the plus side, both getting into a vehicle & switching seats is way faster for me now in general. i'm a high ping player, so doing those things would normally take a long time, It's still not instant but it's certainly improved
  5. paleopterix

If I could vote, I would definitely vote for reverting all the changes you did in the last patch. It is WORST than before. The ping stayed the same and I noticed no improvements but on the other hand... bullets that go straight to the center of enemies doing no damage?! what the hell? 5 minutes ago I shot a vanguard straight in the middle, from 4-5 meters away, and the hit never got registered. It was in flames and that would have been the decisive hit but nope, 4 seconds later it turned and destroyed my tank in exchange. I'd rather see objects jumping around from lag than this!
  6. OldSchoolD

Seems to be working as intended, there's clearly an improvement in consistency across battles when tracking players. On the other hand, high ping players outside of the FOV seem to render a tad slower. I have a 6 core CPU and a regular 80ms mobile connection, so maybe I got the benefits of this patch without the downsides others mention.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.