3 DAY SUSPENSION (INSULTING A CHEATER)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JustGotSuspended, Aug 26, 2020.

1. JustGotSuspended

this isn't a bug, he's actually placing auto turrets, and himself inside walls and shooting through, not just routers. Also runs aimbot
    • Up x 1
  2. JustGotSuspended

he's been playing under multiple characters doing the same thing for a long time. They're weird names, so I can't easily search them up for you though :( but yeah, he's notorious on Connery.

People in this game swear at each other, make sexual jokes, etc all the time, yet it never occurred to me that those guys are the ones getting banned, and not the cheaters...lol
    • Up x 2
  3. Twin Suns

It's right out of the movie Demolition Man 1993. The Verbal Morality Statue. Life imitates Art. Pretty soon you're console and PC will become a Moral Statue Machine. "You have been fined 1 dollar for violating the Verbal Morality Statue."

I run with Edgar Friendly. Leader of the local resistance groups. aka The Scraps. o7
    • Up x 2
  4. User8888

This days is worst to use the wrong word than punch somebody in the face. Anyway I always quit PS2 from time to time due to increased amount of "very good players" , but each time i have been playing for a while, now i have seen that in the first 2 days of playing did not even got into let me buy premium moment. You can do only one thing and that is vote with your money and I don't think il pay them again no matter what content is developed until there is an anti cheat proved record.
    • Up x 2
  5. pnkdth

Your free speech isn't in danger, RPG just doesn't want to deal with your BS or a kindergarten of edgelords and hormonal teens who just discovered swear words. Maybe I live in an unusually civilised part of the world but here you can't get away with throwing temper tantrums and causing a scene in restaurants or businesses.

Also, some real world advice when filing a complaint or some such, do not get emotional or use embellishments. You will quickly be dismissed as an unreliable source. What you instead should do is give a step by step of the events that took place so the person looking into the issue can make a good decision. They do not care about your anger fuelled rant and they are the people who have to read through it all. Therefore, making the experience of reading your complaint a complete pain is a fantastic way of being ignored.

To borrow the strip club analogy, don't expect people who's having a family dinner at a restaurant to be fine with you taking your clothes off because strip club exists.
  6. Twin Suns

No, don't borrow the analogy. The sign distinctly says "strip club". :)
    • Up x 2
  7. NotziMad

You're right, kind of, but if I were to tell a mate of mine in a restaurant that hes a big fact ****, and that his ******** brother is the biggest ******* moron I have ever seen....

NO ONE WILL CALL THE POLICE.

I think that's teh point?

______

I mean I agree with you, kind of, like I said, but at the end of the day, where I come from, a revealed nipple isn't shocking, mothers breast feed in public and there is no public outcry (I know there is public outcry on this matter in ANGLO SAXON cultures because of the PURITAN heritage).

Where I come from, women wear barely nothing at all on the beach, very often not even a top, and it shocks NO ONE, it's NOT OFEENSIVE.

And where I come from, if we're playing football, players scratch their balls, spit on the ground, and call each other names.

I think that was also the point?

edit -> PS don't mistake being civilised with pudicity and good manners. That's a typically arrogant point of view, and it's wrong, absolutely wrong. You want an example of (to pick this one) British civilised behaviour?

How about senior men, with lots of experience and lots of wisdom and lots of education, senior men in position of authority, civilised senior men WHO RUN THE COUNTRY?

How about we look at those civilised men? I'm sure each and every one of them would know how to behave in a familly dinner in a restaurant. Cause those guys, who are running a "civilsed country", behave worse than kids imo.
    • Up x 2
  8. JustGotSuspended

I'm not sure if you read anything I wrote lmao. A tamper tantrum? Also I'm pretty sure I explained step by step what happened.

But alright:

1. As I'm playing VS on Connery, August 25 in the afternoon, I see andvari biolab, a 48 v 48 fight VS NC (attacking) and VS (defending). As I run from the main spawn to suppress dudes coming from the 2 satellite spawns, I start taking fire from inside the rocks.
    2. It's the player I've originally linked. I notice it's not just his spitfire turret, but him also shooting at us through the rocks as we run by.
    3. Quickly my team is unable to use that route because of his cheating. I decide to try and provoke the dude (who probably doesn't even know English anyways) calling him a useless f*g.
    4. I later catch the dude outside the spawn near our SCU just murdering dudes (either thanks to aimbot or mega ping). About a third of my shots register, but he finally goes down. I throw one last insult, calling him a dumb c*nt and call it a day.
    5. I play until around 3pm.
    6. I come back after 6pm, and my account has already been suspended.
    7. I tell everyone I know, follow their instructions, and contact customer service about an hour later.
    8. They reply quick (maybe 30 minutes later), only to send me the exchange I've already posted.
    Now there's a few issues I have with this.
    • The drastic and immediate response for my two short insults would have been fine (I guess) if they'd handled what's really the major issue of cheating. But no, that dude has 100+ reports, and I'm the one that gets instantly called out.
    • There's also the fact that this is a game rated mature, that has the option of filtering profanity, or simply ignoring/muting other players. To an issue that is handled by the default profanity filter on, or that can be further handled by the client, the devs thought it was wiser to ban the account that cussed, rather than handle the way more serious issues that plague the game. Oh, and there's the fact people have said way worse than me (idk what server you play on if you can't confirm this) or even have profane names (I'll link a few) and are still playing. That's because half the player in this game are "hormonal teens", young adults, or people who "just discovered swearing" in games. https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428985062300753169 lol even his outfit name is profane, but apparently just to me. https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428962001682274033 ...yeah, I'll leave it there, but if you want a pdf with pics of the average chat, or a list of players with questionable names that are still playing, I'll happily make one for you.
    • The fact the customer service admitted that banning dudes who cuss is a higher priority for them than banning cheaters.
    Now I'm sure swearing is very insensitive and inhumane thing to do, especially in an era where children's songs/movies are riddle with swearing. I mean, Ariana Grande can swear in her pop songs, but I'd be a total monster for typing a few in a war game.

Technically it would depend on the restaurant you're eating at, and in this day in age I'm sure there'd be an excuse for why that's appropriate behavior https://www.timeout.com/london/blog...ts-like-to-eat-at-the-naked-restaurant-060616 I don't know how often you eat out, but I've seen people with less clothes than strippers at restaurants and schools with 0 consequences. Perhaps if what people do shocks you, you should stay home, unplug your router and spend your days farming - which is perfectly acceptable, just don't oppress everyone with your standards. Also, I fail to see an accurate analogy between comparing a game about war and a restaurant, or swearing with nudity. Swearing in real life is perfectly acceptable, it's just not viewed as nice. As someone mentioned, you likely will never get kicked out of a restaurant for swearing. There's even strip club restaurants, maybe you'll want to check one out...

Additionally, this is a game about war, with a community that swears a lot (like in every video game); we have some big Planetside 2 youtubers that swear in game and in their videos also - AND DBG PROMOTES THEIR CONTENT :D:D

I highly doubt you've read through all of my first post, because in no way was this an "angered fueled rant", and you're likely the only person who's interpreted it as such. I wrote this literally a full day after it happened, and thrown bits of humor into it as well.

Finally, your reply would be what was a real pain to read, because literally everyone else had no problem understanding anything, and simply laughing at DBG's incompetence along with me. Maybe it's because you live in a civilised part of the world that doesn't know how to write [civilized], but I appreciate your feedback. It's nice to see a dev, or someone with their mentality at least reply in the forums.
    • Up x 1
  9. JustGotSuspended

exactly. And while I can understand why swearing would be detrimental at a Buckingham palace soirée or in a daycare, this is a FPS game lmao. With a chat filter and ignore options. The community isn't renown for being refined, or engaging in civil behavior. Quad-shotting a dude in the face and teabagging him with v5/v6 falls pretty much in the same category as having an obscene name or insulting someone in game. If anything, teabagging and taunting is worse because it can't be blocked by the client.It's also not really IMO what's the main issue with the game, considering everyone swears in chat anyways (which as I mentioned many times can be blocked) - I'd say cheating is something the client can't do much about and should be what the devs focus on as it's an issue only they can handle.

However, that's just the opinion of an uncivilized man.
    • Up x 1
  10. JustGotSuspended

don't post names, that's harassment!

lol

what's quite ironic is how youtubers who swear in their videos about this game are promoted by the devs, but an average joe will get terminated for calling out a cheater

https://www.youtube.com/user/averagefunnyguy/videos
    • Up x 1
  11. pnkdth

I've worked as a referee, if you keep running your mouth over and over or throw down a racial/homophobic slur you will get a card or be sent off. Football is kind of a show though so a bit of theatrics is involved. In other sports, such as Euro Handball, you just get sent off at the slightest provocation because there it is about the sport not fragile egos (you're supposed to be able to take it on the chin because it is a more physical sport so more contact is expected). Different sports, different rules, and different expectations of player behaviour.

In your other example everyone there is there for that exact purpose. They know they have different ideas and it is their *job* to discuss and argue.

TL;DR: Listing places where you would expect certain behaviours is no reason for why PS2 or RPG should accommodate these behaviours. It is as simple as that. RPG have set the rules and if "you" cannot even comply with not swearing, using certain slurs, or using /yell chat to rage in then I guess you gotta eat the consequences.

Personally, I do not give a damn if you swear or not but I also realise I'm not the only one playing the game or is one who would have to deal with a lobby of hundreds of players suddenly realising they can start whatever drama they want.
  12. NotziMad

No one is contesting that, in fact, your comment shows you didn't read my earlier posts (which is fine, that isn't a criticsim).

There's how things are, and why, and that's easy to see and explain (1). Then there's how things should be, and/or whether how the way things are is a good thing or not, and that's a little harder (2).

(1) is a given

(2) goes further, is a matter of reflection and opinion, also taste I guess, stuff like that, but at the end of the day, no one is contesting how things "are", because that's how they are, what I find interesting is going further than that, wondering whether it's right or wrong etc.

(that's what I was doing in my reply, that's what others were doing when they pointed out the lack of coherence in what society finds acceptable and offensive, how shooting someone's head off is considered more acceptable than nudity, and I agree on this)
    • Up x 1
  13. NotziMad

I really LOVED that movie, and I know exactly what you mean :)

• Up x 1
  14. Twin Suns

You got that right. You see, according to Cocteau's plan... I'm the enemy. Because I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, the freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of BBQ ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I wanna run through the streets naked with green Jell-O all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal?

I've seen the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Mayer Wiener." You live up top, you live Cocteau's way: what he wants, when he wants, how he wants. Your other choice: come down here... and maybe starve to death. - Edgar Friendly.
    • Up x 1
  15. pnkdth

I am giving the reason for things being how they are. RPG aren't doing it cause they're prudes or easily offended, they just don't want to deal with additional drama and BS. For instance, one person here already admitted to using homophobic slurs. They, of course, will go on a long rant on why X or Y isn't it just means it is lame or stupid. That's exactly the type of stuff RPG does not want to deal with.

So the equation is simple for RPG, is the time + effort + cost equal or greater than the gain to moderate/foster an open forum/community. Or perhaps I am wrong and the greatest scholars and intellectuals of our time has chosen PS2's /yell and /region chat to hold deep and learned conversations.

Demolition Man is a fantastic commentary of society today (especially social media). Though its comparison to this seems a bit much, to say the least. RPG are just expecting people to behave themselves in a public place (which in a sense an MMO is).
  16. Twin Suns

The road to he// is paved with good intentions.

Funny how the supposed righteous or politically correct will resort to evil acts, all in the name of something supposedly better.
  17. Johannes Kaiser

Interesting how usually people take one or the other side. Middle grounds tend to be avoided like a hot cooking plate.
    There should be some rules for behaviour in place, and they should be enforced. The extent depends on the environment, for both factors. But the fact someone got a temporary ban for using harsh language and a cheater got off free is bizarre to me.

Food for thought: If everyone knew how to behave like a decent person and only suspended this under unusual circumstances (making a little stand here that swearing without going over the top is fine; insulting other people is where circumstances are neccessary to warrant use of them), there'd be little need for official regulations. So what does that say about people?
    • Up x 1
  18. pnkdth

Usually how it goes though. First you get the back and forth and then you start figuring out the commonalities and points of disagreement. The difficult part of text communication is when you omit something you might accidentally forget to adress a point or you come across as very one-sided in your argument. Probably one of the leading causes for threads becoming very confrontational and people believing people of X or Y faction only believes this or that.

In this case, I felt it was so obvious that cheaters should get banned I omitted it. Ironically, that got interpreted as if I don't care about that aspect. I could see how it could happen though.
    • Up x 1
  19. NotziMad

well, back tracking a bit, cause this was one of my original points, they are doing it cause they have to. It's a legal obligation. They don't have a choice.

That was one of the first points in the thread which lead to --> where do those laws come from? The answer to which (as far as I know) is anglo saxon puritan heritage. It isn't latino, or latin (like the Spanish, French, Italians, Portuguese, Greeks), it isn't "Eastern European" or Baltic, it isn't an African heritage, or an Asian one, it's specifically USA / UK; that's what I meant back then.

And in Europe, the "latin" culture (which I am part of) isn't afraid of nudity, swears and curses exaggeratedly, it's part of the culture, we fat, we spit on the ground, we give people the finger, we shout, and so on, and it's all socially accepted. My point here was that it typically is not part of the puritan culture. Relevance ; as it happens, thats where the laws come from, thats where the roots of most laws IRL and online come from. It's those laws that forbids the appearance of a breast on Television before a certain hour, and it has spread to the entire world.

So this is basically facts, or an interpretation of the facts yeah? I mean, this is how things are, and my interpretation of why they are this way.

The demolition man movie was (in my opinion) under rated because beneath the mainstream Stalone comedy that most people perceived, lied a satirical view of where we were heading as a society, and implicitly, in part, where we were already at that point.

The relevance is that it illustrates in a very obvious way, that being "civilised" , and even more so being arrogantly proud of being civilised (compared to other "less civilised") is very often ridiculous, dumb, so dumb that it's funny, as is illustrated with the video.

And THAT part (for me anyway), was "going further", because this is the part (for me) where I'm like, "ok, so this is how things are, this why things are", but now, I'm wondering "is it a good thing? is it right?". And (imo) THATS a matter of opinion.
  20. pnkdth

They do have a choice (not a good choice!), they just get a different ESRB rating. It boils down to practical and legal reasons in the end. Plus, the more mature rating you get the slimmer the market share which becomes a business decision. However, the latter can sometimes prove to actually boost your game's numbers if you appeal to a more mature market (it involves more risk though!).

Some things might be cultural, for sure, but the decisions made from SOE to now RPG it comes down to money.
    • Up x 2