What we know about the next big update:

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ican'taim, Jul 21, 2020.

1. NotziMad

I can't quote the source cause it was months ago, but that is how it was communicated, and that it is how it was perceived by a lot (including myself) of the player base.

I personally was following Andy Sites on twitter, and sometimes read the plans he was laying that he linked on Twitter and that were Reddit.

"We have a much bigger team now". "We have big plans." "We have a lot more resources."

"We are going to breath new life into this game".

That obviously didn't happen.

That's not speculation, I'm sorry if you don't like it, I'm sorry if you love the game so much you can't accept annyone criticising it or putting it down, or speaking badly about it, I get that, I've done that myself, but at the end of the day this isn't wild speculation and MISREPRESENTING DATA (he spoke of DATA, so I replied regarding DATA).

And like I've often said on these forums, even the people who critiicse the game or the devs do so because they like the game and care for the game, it's not doing the game any favours to be dishonest about this kind of stuff.

I'll speak to whatever I need to speak to, I replied to him on DATA as I replied to you on the franchise, as I will reply to anyone on anything. At the end of the day, if I'm wrong, I'm the first person who's got an interest in finding this out. But I'm not wrong.
  2. ican'taim

No Man's Sky didn't become perfect in one update though, so keep that in consideration.
  3. NotziMad

ok, although I played No man's sky for 5 minutes before i quit and uninstalled the game, so I can't comment.

Except to say : judging from the news and media, it was a huge failure of a launch and the game is far from perfect today.

But like I said, I didn't play it.
  4. Twin Suns

Oh jeez, NMS is arts & crafts junk. Crafty McCraft can craft all he wants in Crafty world. Bwahahahaha!
  5. ican'taim

Umm... what media are you reading? The game is well received by most news outlets and I checked the subreddit, saw 0 complaints.
    And I never played it as well so no bias from me.
  6. NotziMad

I haven't checked the news lately, and because of your reply, I did :) And you're right, i'ts positive. They really had one of the worst launches ever, and the game was critised by almost everyone, but they kept at it it seems, and over the years, managed to build something that a lot of people like and enjoy.

But a few years ago, there wasn't a single review out there that was positive, and the user reviews on steam were abysmal.

few examples :

IGN -> https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/16/no-mans-sky-review

Polygon -> https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/9/12401702/no-mans-sky-day-one-patch-sony-playstation-4-impressions

Guardian interview with Sean Murry -> https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...-hello-games-sean-murray-harassment-interview

Of course, all of these are old.

A more recent one you'll like (2019) from Eurogamer : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-on-no-mans-sky-is-a-messy-befuddling-wonder

. And it's surprising to think that No Man's Sky, a game widely derided as lacking so much at launch, seems to have come closer to achieving that goal than the likes of Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen before it (although what I wouldn't give for Elite's flight model in No Man's Sky).
    • Up x 1
  7. ican'taim

UPDATE:
    Indar Triangle rework was confirmed by Wrel via a tweet
    For some dumb reason I can't edit the main post so rip.
  8. NotziMad

There's a timer, once you publish a post, you can edit it, but only for a short time.
  9. Who Garou

If what I'm hearing about Esamir is turning into a Battle Royale Continent is true, then I pretty seriously doubt I will be playing on it.
    I'm assuming this is for ... I hate to say it but ... noobs and loners that aren't in Outfits.

The reason why gamers stay with a game is the gaming community and/or being part of an in-game outfit/clan/group/guild.

In the case of PS2, the Outfit mechanic is probably over 80% of the retention factor.

Having a battle royale continent that pretty much stops that mechanic from working successfully ... well, you and time can be the judge.

I think it's pretty clear why the the PS2 Arena failed. Is it really a good idea to force a failed mechanic into a continent that is one of the 2 favorite continents?

The DEVs have apparently already decided.

I'm a All Access Lifer, so I've paid in what I'm going to pay into the game. I will pay zero dollars for any Arena style gameplay nor will I support it.
  10. ican'taim

tbh that's kinda lame because of situations like this.

Battle royale? That subreddit post was a joke.
    If it isn't.... yeah i'm uninstalling.
  11. NotziMad

It already is, to a degree, since the only thing most players ever see on Esamir, is a biolab..
    • Up x 1
  12. Liewec123

Because if there are any fun fights left in the game Wrel will hunt them down and destroy them 1 by 1
    The assaults across that stone bridge was one of the stand-out fun fights in this game,
    So an easy first target for Wrel, The Destroyer of Planetside.

Gotta admit, I respect his tenacity, constantly gnawing away at the game,
    Keep it up Wrel! You'll kill it eventually, I have every confidence in you!
    • Up x 4
  13. ican'taim

14. Demigan

OMG water! Why is that exciting? At all?

We have a few ankle-deep water places like on Amerish. The mention of this water being cold could potentially mean its going to deal DOT against infantry or slow down vehicles that drive through it, but thats about it. Its not as if we'll be getting a functional boats-and-hovercraft combat all of a sudden.

To me this smells like wasted developer time that should have gone into fixing things or trying to rebuild Bastions and other outfit stuff so its actually a faction-wide teamwork tool rather than solo murder-machines that need some protection for the real big killingsprees.

The red stuff is likely a citadel shield and the rock just some fancy rock.
    • Up x 2
  15. Johannes Kaiser

I remember on old Amerish there was a little pond that was just deepe nough so you could hide an ESF inside. I'm not a flyboy, but that was pretty cool. :)
    This picture looks like there might be a bit more water involved on new Esamir. Maybe one or two bases (open player-built sites?) on floes.
  16. ican'taim

The water gets pretty deep in farther back if you look closely, and the red stuff is way too big to be a citadel shield. Could be FOV though. You're most likely right about the rock, so I'll give you that.
    [IMG]

Posted the image so people don't need to click on the link ;P.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  17. NotziMad

soo .....

boats?
  18. Demigan

Maybe you are right.

Could be a recolor of a warpgate shield. It looks like a riverbed close to one of them. Maybe they finally gave them faction specific colors?
    • Up x 1
  19. nagibator

looks like devs read my suggestions
  20. ican'taim