The Current State Of The Game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BamaRage, Jul 20, 2020.

1. MD_Geist

None of your criticisms are valid, given you don't seem to know what game you're even playing Mister Bama. The game by design, is intended to be nonstop zergfests. It's the entire point. If you don't want that, it's entirely on you for being too lazy to pull a sunderer and start skirmishes elsewhere away from the zerg fronts. That said Planetside 2 died screaming a long time ago already when they allowed you to make characters on other factions on the same server. A very sleazy move just to milk dem whale tiddies a little more before they just up and stopped caring anymore. That was the moment everyone can irrefutably point to and say 'things started to go south fast here,' eventually years later leaving you with outfits only lead by said whales whom, surprise, are extremely entitled and insufferable people. With a very, very terminal case of sunk cost fallacy.

It really is a shame.
  2. BamaRage

Lol, I have played the game for many years and while there was always some zerging it was not ever none stop nor intended to be. Your right about one thing though, wanna know who is wrong Mr. Geist? Look in the mirror. During most of the day every fight now turns into a zerg. Because Mr. Geist, some like you seem to not know enough to do anything else. As for the rest of your diatribe, a bit of self reflection will help you with that. But yes, I agree you are extremely entitled and very insufferable. Now go zerg yourself snowflake.
  3. BamaRage

Wow, you choose the outfit you join and have that option to leave any time you want. Obviously you do not like a command structure so hey, you do you. I have authority in my outfit because my members grant me such. I lead by consent of the members and we all make decisions regarding the rules. Has always been that way and always will. No blind obedience required. But hey, you do you.
  4. MD_Geist

Way to take it personally, project and deflect. You really don't seem old enough to have played this game for years.
  5. BamaRage

lol, you fail on every point. Your funny as sh** though so thanks for the laugh.....
  6. MD_Geist

T
    Are you okay?
  7. BamaRage

Oh I am
    Oh I am fine, you?
  8. MD_Geist

You halted any and all discussion the moment you were called out and offered no rebuttal. That doesn't seem fine. It's easy to hop on the anti-Wrel bandwagon, but your awful opinions on the game aren't any better than his. Besides, you were on your way out weren't you? Or are you hanging around just to tell us all about your outfit authority and how not upset you are a little while longer?
  9. BamaRage

lol, assume the answer without asking the question...lol My outfit is currently planning ops so yea, a little busy at the moment. Besides by your first response you demonstrated you don't know what your talking about and then you gave a none response addressing none of my points and now you expect me I guess to respond to your none response addressing points you did not make?. Anyway, I have things to do so, be back later. Oh and what faction do you currently play for? ..lol But you are still cracking me up dude.
  10. MD_Geist

Complaining about zergs is something new players do because they don't understand whats going on yet and don't feel confident enough to go do their own thing, ironically. It's outing yourself as either new and playing on your older brothers account or, a person with special learning requirements to put it nicely. I didn't address any of your points because I'm not here to debate the trivial things you think are problems.

My point is you aren't qualified to comment on the state of the game and trying to appeal to the common sentiment of 'Wrel sucks' to get people to chime in and agree with you is in poor taste. Yes Wrel sucks, but his role in ruining the game was absolutely minuscule compared to the years of whining here and on reddit about every little thing. They got the game they deserved in the end. And lets not forget what got Wrel where he is today. Being king of the whiners, in case you forgot.
  11. csvfr

While I notice you two are having a discussion, I simply wanted to cut in with a point. Critique on zergs is certainly a valid topic especially from more experienced players. Before critical mass, players would tend to snowball into a lane-zerg towards an enemy warpgate, meanwhile often completely ignoring the other enemy. But this was a purposefull zerg, it had an aim and a goal to attain victory points which was the way to lock continents at the time. Today players still snowball into zergs, perhaps because of the 'instant join' button retaining it's functioning from before, but these zergs are rarely constructive and often become detiremental to faction victory. For example, if the faction which has the southeast warpgate on Indar captures Ceres Hydroponics and then continues on to zerg westwards to Seabed. The inevitable result of this phenomenon is that the zerging faction disrupts enemy fights and forces them to focus on this faction, causing it to lose territory fast.

More generally, I think every time a faction zergs such that enemy fronts are disturbed it is wasteful. Consider this: if the population is balanced, for every enemy soldier which fights one of the other enemy's soldier, a soldier from your faction is free to do what he wants. This is why a faction that is warpgated when an alert starts will face little resistance as the other two factions shifts focus to fight in between themselves, allowing the initially warpgated faction to recapture territory at lightning speed often winning the alert in the end. Therefore, when most players concentrate at TI alloys, they are in fact useless, and their population slots could perhaps have been filled by more useful players.
    • Up x 2
  12. BamaRage

Again you make wild assumptions and demonstrate how little you actually know. You also expose your inexperience. Your making statements that leed me to believe you have not played for a good while. So there is no need to debate the stupid your spewing, Have fun with it. Your just wrong and that's why most the vets have left since the current meta was put into effect. Anyone willing to hold your position either has not played in a long time or lack the reasoning to understand whats actually happened. Either way your random assertions and insults are pointless and not worth the bother. So I will not deal with your ignorance further.
  13. MD_Geist

I bet if I look back far enough I can find a highly speculative zerg whinging post just like this from 2013. You seem to think that because not everyone was doing what you think was the correct choice of action, your faction is losing. I'm sorry but not only are you wrong, but you're being a bit of a sore loser blaming everyone else but yourself. The good news is though, you're not completely wrong to blame the majority. Winning alerts has become absolutely meaningless with faction hopping outfits and most people just don't care anymore. Their objective is to have a good farm and 'zergs' are the best way to do that. They're very much intentional, when they're not, you'll know immediately because your faction will fold to the other side in record time and scatter to different hotspots until an outfit makes a platoon to snowball around.

I won't bother quoting Bama's post but this is exactly the sort of embarrassing arrogance that leads to absolutely useless narcissistic feedback that likely drove the original developers to simply stop caring themselves. How do you retain the will to continue developing the game when your playerbase thinks they're omnipotent all seeing masters of balance and strategy, as well as extraordinarily arrogant and rude about it to boot? Pro-tip, you aren't. None of you are. It is and always was a game of numbers, pure and simple. Who wins alerts is determined purely by which faction the most outfits decide to play on a given day. Get your heads out of your *****.
  14. NotziMad

I got a better pro tip for you, and you might be delighted to know that it answers your question :)

What question? You only asked one, this one :

And the answer (and the pro tip) is professionalism, competence and experience.

If you had any of those three virtues, you'd know that ever since online gaming exists, let's say ever since MUD (in 1978) players who care about the game they play are ready to invest themselves to support and help it grow healthy. And I'm not talking about money.

I'm talking about the countless hours spent, taken from personal time, to contribute in a positive way to the game they play and care about. In some cases the personal time spent voluntarily to contribute to the game in one way or another actually surpasses how many hours the devs work on the game themselves.

This ranges from forum threads, in which they take the time to voice their opinions and concerns, to setting up online Wikis or developing mods.

And from the very beginning, 40 years ago, players have always done this. And from the very beginning, since 40 years ago, players may have been mistaken in their opinions, over zealous in their statements too impartial in their judgements. Indeed in many game, it is common knowledge that it was the fanboys that largely contributed to making a game fail.

But that's not on them, and that is why -to answer your question- it is a matter of professionalism, competence, and experience, because not only should any dev be aware of this, not only should any dev know how to manage this feedback, but it is their job.

You retain the will to continue developing the game (if it is worth continuing) thanks to professionalism, competence, and experience.

_____

Always remember that pretty much anyone taking the time to express their opinion on a game they play is hardly ever doing it out of spite but rather, is doing it with his or her and other player's gaming experience in mind. If someone doesn't care about a game, if someone doesn't like a game, they don't waste their time on the forums do they?

_______

Of course, the other question is whether the devs are good at what they do or not. Often, if someone isn't good at his or her job, it's because they don't care about their job, or the work they are supposed to be doing. That's insulting. But it could also be a lack of professionalism, competence and experience and if that's the case, it's not on them, but on the people who hired them and keep them.
    • Up x 2
  15. MD_Geist

I decided to quote that entire monolith because I know you'll enjoy re-reading it with one hand dipped in jergen's.
  16. Snoozzzer

psss bamarage, try using hardlight canopies. There's actually a **** ton that an organized group of 10-16 people can do during alerts.

Now outfit wars, yeah, that **** sucks how you absolutely have to be in a zergfit.
  17. Desann

The only ones we can blame are OURSELVES.

We keep buying trash MLG, reflex shooters, keep forking money on overpriced cosmetics and keep supporting the cert grind.

I have a crap KD, because I GO FOR THE OBJECTIVE. Im the guy who blows up the sundy and pisses everyone off because I ruined their "CERT FARM". I don't do it to piss off farmers, but simply to be effective with my factions STRATEGY.

The game needs more control over strategic play and less on squad based tactics. This is essentially a RTS, where we (the players) are the AI.

The solution is to heavily incentivize teamplay while discouraging farming. You can force players to do anything, but rewards speak volumes!
    • Up x 5
  18. Twin Suns

A grindy, gimmicky, herd shooter with overpriced cosmetics using outdated graphics. Sorry man, but this $&@! is becoming boring.
    • Up x 2
  19. NotziMad

It's a pvp game, and as such, what matters most (not saying the rest doesn't matter) is the pvp.

What I mean by that is whether in real life or in "virtual life", the main attraction of any game that makes players compete against each other is precisely the fact that they compete.

Most games aren't fun if you play against the computer. You could play poker against the computer in a virtual poker game, but there's not much point is there? The real deal about playing poker is playing against people.

So how good the graphics are, how rich the content is, how grindy or not grindy and how pricy the cosmetics etc etc matters, but hardly as much as the core of the game : pvp.

To take an example I use all the time, picture a virtual game of tennis. The map is a simple rectangle with a line in the middle. The "content" is just a ball that goes back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. That's it, that's the content.

Yet in real life, tennis has for many years been one of the most popular sports, screened on television, with millions of people watching the matches, millions of people paying a lot of money to see it live or to watch it on TV and watch that ball go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth in that little rectangle with a line in the middle.

Professionals train many hours a day, every day, for years and years and years to compete.

You see what I mean?
    • Up x 1
  20. Twin Suns

You read to much into it my statement NM.

I'm just saying the game is stale.

A Zerg against 12 isn't competition. It's farming. You see what I mean...
    • Up x 2