Planetside 3

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by then00b, Oct 18, 2019.

1. then00b

• Up x 1
  2. Twin Suns

At least it won't be on the PS5 after DBG's treatment of its PlayStation customers.

Enjoy footing the bill PC master race. ;)

o7
  3. pnkdth

Hm, so the layoffs could potentially be a restructuring in order to make way for a Planetside 3 team then, which would make sense since they would need a different set of skills and competences. Interesting and positive news, indeed!

Assuming this follows through I feel kind of stupid for all the doom and gloom I've engaged in lately.
  4. Pikachu

I will eat my hat if there is a PS3 game.
    • Up x 6
  5. InexoraVC

"PlanetSide 3, which we envision expanding from the current battlefields of Auraxis, to full-fledged galactic war with empires exploring, colonizing and conquering one another within an expansive galaxy"

Yeah yeah, another Star Citizen.
    • Up x 1
  6. Liewec123

I picture DBG trying to pull that off and think it is even more doomed than DBG trying to make a fortnite clone.
    • Up x 3
  7. pnkdth

They do have second movers advantage though since the teams behind No Man's Sky and Star Citizen have pretty much gone right ahead and made every single mistake possible.

Start Citizen is particularly amusing to follow as their cult keeps backing and backing them with money, buying ever more expensive ships and falling for bigger and more impossible promises as it goes along. My favourite part of the story of Star Citizen is the founder himself who chose the CryEngine which was notorious for networking issues and terrible multipler AND on top of all that built for first person shooters. His reason? It looks pretty and he's more or less repeated the exact same mistakes he did with his previous failed project.

But you are right, they are walking straight into the trap of "THIS IS OUR MOST AMBITIOUS PROJECT YET! BIGGER THAN EVER! WOW LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS!" Because the first thing I think of is, "wouldn't you need need a mega massive super population of players to keep such an 'expansive galaxy' feel alive?

That said, if they manage to create a game where you fight around an entire planet with seamless transition to fight over space stations moons and whatnot then PS3 could look pretty darn nice. They could even solve the server issues by having a single mega server (one for each region) and simply unlock a new planet as population increases.
    • Up x 1
  8. Xuare

I took this to mean something more like "Auraxis and other will become a planet in EVE ONline". CCP has tried it before, they're also a small company, and Smedly's an EVE player
  9. icufos

I would go for Planetside 3 in a heartbeat.

So happy to hear the news. Thanks for the link.:)
  10. Skraggz

All I got from this announcement was "play arena as it's out stepping stone to ps3" am I missing something?
    • Up x 2
  11. Kaya

I know they were talking long term but WOW even the mention of a PlanetSide 3 gets me so excited.

Lots of potential to start fresh in a PS3.
    • Up x 1
  12. tigerchips

PS3 will take 3-5 years to get here. It will also mean the Planetside team time will be split in three with the three games. I give it another year until DBG is sold to the highest bidder.
  13. Scatterblak

14. Beerbeerbeer

I just hope their vision isn’t overly grandiose and unrealistic; their eyes aren’t bigger than their stomach.

I’ll be blunt: I would be happy if Planetside 3 is nothing more than the original Planetside with updated graphics and maps.
    • Up x 2
  15. DarkStarAnubis

For sure they envision a lot...

Maybe envisioning a little less and listening a little more would have prevented a lot of people being laid off due to a game nobody really wants.
    • Up x 1
  16. TR5L4Y3R

Actions>>>words ...

this doesn´t make me any less pessimistic at how a PS3 sequel will turnout .. that´s if it comes out at all ...
  17. Pikachu

Graphics difference is an interesting point since performance was such a huge issue in PS2. It would not surprise me if PS3 went with an artistic style.
  18. OneShadowWarrior

I will believe it when I see it, after what they did with Arena, kinda spooky.
  19. sjtw_w_stot

Not gonna lie, I have an erection.
  20. Demigan

I'm with punkdeath on this one. "Just" making a successful game based on PS1, PS2 or a hybrid is a monumental task and they want to go planetary? No GALACTIC?!?!

Look, make PS3 a game where base building is integrated from the start, there are multiple objectives/capture methods change for bases occasionally and the balance between classes, vehicles and aircraft is picture perfect and you've got the WOW for shooters on your hands. Hell if you make lives and vehicles costless and focus resources on boosting your class/vehicle a bit you could leech GTA players who are fed up with the focus on moneygrind instead of inventive suicide trying to accomplish weird stuff in-game.

With their current goals though... instant failure. A bit like Hossin and Oshur.