tEh EnD iS nEAAAR!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JibbaJabba, Oct 14, 2019.

1. JibbaJabba

Not.

Possibly a reality check for some, possibly not. Welcome to the lifecycle of a long running game.
    Couple things:

1. Planetside didn't fail even if it shut off today. It's approaching a 7th anniversary and is still running.
    2. The servers ain't shutting off anytime soon. These guys are still running DC Online and Everquest 1 servers. They still have server merges if needed to address population. It's not losing money. Well... it was and that's why they laid off some folks. Now it ain't.
    3. There still ain't anything like this out there. Go on, look. Nothin'. We are all here for a reason. This stuff is badass and fun. And it still is.

We'll eventually hit the point where the content ain't right. Big battles not happening and all that. I'll probably drop off then and wait for Planetside 3 (yes, the IP has value, yes it will happen someday even if not DBG).

Until then... I'll see you guys on the server.
    • Up x 1
  2. Trigga

[IMG]
    Jokes asside, its just trolls who state anything different.
    I dont think any serious person would need to be informed of this.
  3. OneShadowWarrior

Not really, they’ll regroup and go back to their cash cow, I am glad they aren’t wasting anymore time on Arena.

Planetside is one of a kind, they need to embrace it, instead of running from it.

The community has spoken, they don’t want a battle royale, Battlefield 5 was a great example, instead of new maps, content and bug fixes they put so much effort into Battle Royale with Firestorm. DICE practically bankrupt and bleeding players or unable to get new players either.
    • Up x 1
  4. JibbaJabba

Alas, I wish that were true. There literally are people who think the servers are gonna get shut off so they are scared to buy a cosmetic. haha.

Side thought....came across this today too on wiki. Ain't no getting around it. Planetside has been some badassery for a long time...

Critical reception
    PlanetSide 2 received positive reviews from critics. Aggregating review website Metacritic gave the PC version 84/100 based on 42 reviews.[35]
    Critics praised the large scale battles, impressive graphics and free-to-play model. GameSpy stated that, "PlanetSide 2 shows the PC off. From the gorgeous lighting and huge draw distances, to the intense, multiplayer battles."[40] IGN gave the game 9/10 praising the battles, "The scale of PlanetSide 2's battles is often breathtaking, as lines of tanks fire at bases while aircraft light up the sky and hundreds of players fill the scene with healing beams and lethal weapons fire."[43]

Awards
    PlanetSide 2 won several awards at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2012. IGN awarded it "Best MMO Game" and "Best PC Game"; GameSpy awarded it "Best Shooter", "Best Free to Play" and "Best PC Exclusive"; and from PC Gamer, "Best Shooter", "Best MMO", "Best of Show" and "Most Awards Received". PlanetSide 2 received numerous other awards and nominations from several critics.[44] In 2015 Planetside 2 broke the record for most players in a single FPS battle on the Jaeger server, where 1,158 players simultaneously took part in a battle.[45]
  5. Trigga

O, ye those guys will be over on reddit :p

Ye, game is awesome alright.
    Planetside 1 also held the world record for most players in a single FPS battle, until it was broken.
    • Up x 1
  6. TwwIX

They won't get another cent from me. That much is ******* certain.
  7. JibbaJabba

I cancelled my membership after I got sick of logging out during Max alerts. It's still valid until January I think.

If they throw hints that Oshur is still a possibility between now and then I'll throw cash again. If not, then I'm done too.
  8. Skraggz

The amount of people that actually like that event is amazing. I cant stand it. Actually got told by some one that i didn't like the event because my aim sucks, implying max needs to aim more so then infantry.
  9. That_One_Kane_Guy

I'm terribly sorry, sir but seeing as your post is neither a tearful, scathing condemnation of the Developers and all of their offspring for ruining "your" game nor a masochistic, Joker-channeling proclamation that you will happily rejoice in watching the whole thing burn to the ground, we are unable to process your post at this time.

Please try using more emotional buzzwords and perhaps implying that your Ninja Helmet and Pink Camouflage purchases are tantamount to owning company stocks. Thank you, and have a lovely day.
    • Up x 1
  10. JibbaJabba

Yep. As much as I hate it, some people really, really dig it. Normally I'm a live and let live kinda guy. There is room in the sandbox for everyone's adventures.

But there is a game breaking problem with this one.

Biolab/Amp station alert? If you don't like it, don't have to participate.
    Air event? If you don't like it, don't have to participate.
    Main continent lock alert? Yep... don't like it don't have to participate.

Max alert? F!!! U!!!! You are gonna get piles of noobsauce maxes in the FACE. You WILL participate or you will..... CLICK! I logoff....

I found myself logging off just way too much. Sometimes logging back on again later, sometimes not. So. Cancelled membership. To be fair, everyone F'ing warned them.
  11. Liewec123

not entirely true, when the sky fills up with A2G
    and you can't drive a ground vehicle without an AA gun or you'll be dead in under a minute.
    sunderers too are more likely to die (i know this from chain pulling solo tankbuster libs for 30 minutes) :cool:

it really shifts the play.

also on the subject of the max alert,
    i find it hilarious that once NC maxes had their weapons nerfed to oblivioun the devs thought they'd troll us with a free max event,
    but it utterly backfired because NC maxes are now forced to use Gorgons (which are REALLY good against maxes.)

on Cobalt atleast we win almost every max event because TR and VS maxes simply can't survive the Gorgons!
    • Up x 1
  12. That_One_Kane_Guy

For what it's worth I enjoy giving the Archer some exercise. Something about doming the big fat slow slab of metal I normally run away from is satisfying as heck.
    • Up x 1
  13. Trigga

But, no1 pays attention to that alert.
    Or to put it another way, its changes nothing, most players are already playing 'get as many kills as possible' only diff is its now got a name.
    Ive only ever seen 1 of what i would consider a MAX crash in all the time since these alerts, and that was crushed by LAs with c4, it was not a threat at all.
    What is it you see when you play these, that i am missing?

The free air alert imo is far more damaging to the game than the MAX one, but people have to play the whole game to see that, which most regrettably dont.
  14. JibbaJabba

Yeah, true on the air alerts. You can't entirely escape it. It does shift gameplay some. I can deal though.

And here's the secret about the Max alerts. The team that wins is not the one with the best maxes. It's not the one that uses them the most. It's the faction that gets double teamed. That's how you win the max alerts. It's kill based and when you get double teamed you get more kills. Even if you are getting your butt kicked from said double team and have a collective KDR lower than the other two factions. The math will add up and you'll get more kills.
  15. TR5L4Y3R

........ ........... .............. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ........ WHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH ......
    .... oh wait YOU REALY BELIEVE THAT AAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .... ...
  16. JibbaJabba

Your laughter is totally understandable. But yes.

Separate from the actual games, planetside 1, 2, and Arena. Separate from the server infrastructure and all that.

The "planetside universe" is an intellectual property just like any other franchise. If the current owners of it go broke, then it is an object of some value, and they will sell it.

Could be 2 years from now, could be 20. I played planetside 1 and it was a long wait for 2 but here we are.

My hope: It gets picked up and becomes cloud gaming based. Have the clients in the actual cloud.
  17. Skraggz

4,5, 6+ maxes camping points. My team has them as well but I personally don't care for them... its just ehhhh not my cup of tea I guess.
  18. TR5L4Y3R

i´ve seen enough companies take good IPs only to just ultimately sit on them and do nothing with ...
    IF DBG goes down and someone gets the IP i´m simply not gonna hold my breath for a fresh new title ..
    seriously the next best thing that could happen; instead of ultimately shutting the servers down some decently big publisher gets the IP like say THQnordic or Focus Home Interactive and then either of these publishers (cause FOOOOK any of the big triple AAAAAAIIII Pubs ... ... yes i went jim sterling here) put on a dev team to atleast further maintain the servers and support it ..

OR (which is unlikely cause .. DBG) ... DBG goes down but from it´s remnants you get a small dedicated splinter indydev .. which is sort of what happened with planetary annihilation: uber entertainmeant who funded and developed the game shut down but from it came PA inc. who primarily focuses on keeping planetary annihlation alive and that game still gets updates .... of course the problem is Planetside 2 is a bigger caliber compared to planetary annihilation...
  19. Trigga

Did you see what BBurnes wrote on reddit?
    I tend to agree, lots of developers could pick it up, but many who youd not want anywhere near it.
    I thought what he(*she? ive no idea) said about Amazon games and Smedley was a good call, they have the resources for sure.
  20. TR5L4Y3R

how bout a link?