[BUG] What is the reasoning/logic of strengthening HA even more by adding Thumper to their weapon arsenal?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gustavo M, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Gustavo M

I just want to understand...why?
  2. Campagne

The NS operatives needed an NS heavy weapon.
    • Up x 2
  3. OneShadowWarrior

4. Demigan

Because for some reason the devs don't think that improving all classes is a thing.

The Thumper could have been a great tool for Medics, Engineers, LA's and even Infiltrators (since it doesn't deal AV damage anyway) to use for support and different playstyles depending on the class you use. But for some reason the devs can't get their head around the fact that other classes exist that could use a boost in usefulness.
    • Up x 1
  5. TR5L4Y3R

did you use the thumper in VR? did you compare how it needs to be used differently than a lmg (or any other heavy weapon) and how much time it takes to take down infantry?

in short a HA using the thumper significantly sacrifices general antiinfantry killpotential for the ability to supress chockepoints
    and finding these chokepoints or areas with dense infantrytargets is situational ..
    you still may lose in 1v1 situations with the thumper ... it requires 2 direct shots to kill ... any miss is very likely that you will die ...
    and unlike hunter crossbow you can´t get in for a shotknifecombo, and like explosivebolts if you are too close you may damage yourself ...

rather would have given it to the medic as primary and the HA as toolslot but for dealing damage to armor ...
    (sry if i repeat myself, it may happen)

imo infil (as well as medic actualy) could use the rockletrifle as primary ..
    not sure bout infil getting the nadelauncher in general ( it rather could use the underbarrel launcher but should get additional ammo from ammopouch imo)
    engineer already has a very strong suprression weapon in the form of the manaturret with unlimited ammo at the expence of being stationary and a heat mechanic ..
    i think engineer with thumper (assuming as toolslotweapon) might be a little too good ..
  6. OneShadowWarrior

To be honest the heavy weapons do need more choices than empire specific weapons, so the Thumper to me was a nice changeup, it still needs more work.
  7. DarkStarAnubis

M8, have you tried the Thumper?

Aside from some niche scenarios I would take any LMG over the Thumper any day of the week...
  8. breeje

i love to play with the thumper in biolabs. it's funny to troll a bit with it but it gets me killed more often than any other weapon in the game. when i start spamming the thumper at a chokepoint i become the priortiy of the enemy.

funwise the best weapon in the game but the hardest to get kills with.
    and it will get you a weaponlock from time to time (sorry teammates)
    • Up x 1
  9. JibbaJabba

Other than the Thumper and ASP points, Name a single thing that has been added to the heavy since the game shipped.

Engies got AV turrets, Spitfire turrets, Baby gates
    Medics got the shield bubble
    Infiltrators got the stalker cloak
    LAs got the rocket launcher

Now they are adding something for the heavy. Get over it.
    • Up x 1
  10. TRspy007

Honestly if crying about the thumper, at least complain about how bad it is.

A fun weapon to troll, but it seriously isn't worth the tradeoff of LMGs or the other heavy weapons. Honestly the thumper does not add to the heavy assault's superiority, it quite ironically takes it away.
  11. FateJH

*sound of a UBGL laughing and crying at the same time*
    • Up x 1
  12. Liewec123

would you rather a HA shooting at you with this thing? or Betelgeuse?
    easy choice for me!
    • Up x 1
  13. Demigan

Both AA launchers.
    Faction-specific launchers.
    One of the overshields (adrenalin I believe?).
    Various LMG's.
    I think the heavy weapons weren't available at launch either.
    And now Thumpers. My guess is I missed one or two updates to the Heavy.
  14. Gustavo M

Heh. Makes sense.
    Yeah, I did. Was in a zerg, "felt cute", switched to HA with Thumper/fire rounds and spammed the hell out of a chokepoint. Got the easiest 50 frags of my life -- until I got my **** poked by a infil with a instagib knife.