Feature Request: Zoom From Third Person

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dirtywilly, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Dirtywilly

Add the ability to zoom from third person.

Too clunky to go into first person, switch to third, see a target, switch back to first, zoom, etc. From third person, press zoom to zoom, release to go back to third person, done. Virtually every game with third person supports this. Plus it limits the advantages that someone with a red dot, on screen dot, or pen mark on their screen has. Win-Win.
  2. UberNoob1337101

I'm getting PTSD from 3rd person Jackhammer campers in PS1.

And while seemingly clunky to quickly switch from 1st to 3rd person and back, if players really want to, they can set up micro for it to do it quickly. The feature would be neat, but unless there's a way to prevent abuse with it I don't think this is a good idea.
    • Up x 1
  3. Scrundle

Feature Request: Remove all sources of third person camera (ESP) from the game.
    • Up x 2
  4. Savadrin

I'm all for this once we get a HUD with the 3D Spatial Radar readout that would be a standard on any and every battle kit from MBT consoles on down to the infantry helmets in a world where everyone and everything is made of nanites.
  5. FateJH

That system is called "your eyes and ears." It's also not a compelling impediment for removing third person view options (completely) for maintenance of gameplay.
    • Up x 1
  6. OneShadowWarrior

I miss this feature from the first Planetside immensely.

However they give it to vehicles to allow easy farming in Planetside 2, very hypocritical.
  7. Savadrin

Tell that to modern pilots of any variety, air/ground/water. Sorry boys, no HUD, use your eyes and ears kthxbye.
  8. FateJH

Ah, but we do have a HUD. Different players support different levels of HUD interactivity. Regardless, eyes and ears remain absolutely vital to survivability and no player will tell you otherwise without biting his tongue.

So, let us stay on topic and not try to sound stupid intentionally, okay?

Full 3D radar? what for? We don't have the complexity of map engagement that requires such a system. Most terrain is just the extrusion of a heightmap and buildings rarely beyond two stories or two levels. The layouts are formulaic enough that even edge cases wouldn't be justification for the resource consumption. If you want an easy "spatial radar," here you go: dots on the minimap that are slightly smaller and more tinted are below you; dots on the minimap that are slightly larger and more shaded are above you.
    The early developers gave it to vehicles because they found battlescape navigation without it lacking. Additionally, the homogenization of all vehicles under the "one vehicle design / driver controls the main cannon / MBT's are just one-seaters with a perk weapon" setup required it.
  9. Campagne

I don't think this whole discussion needs to be sugarcoated. Vehicles in third-person can objectively see things they would not ever be able to see regardless of any degree of situational awareness.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have a couple of eyestalks with which to look around corners or over obstacles without exposing myself to the sight of others, nor can I see what is directly above or behind myself while facing and looking forwards.

It does make driving a lot easier but it is by no means a necessity. It ultimately drains the skill requirement of using vehicles and holds no real disadvantage or penalty. Overlays can be used to aim in third-person if the player doesn't care to switch back to first-person in a fight/shelling.
  10. TRspy007

The one screen dot is just to show the center of the screen and doesn't actually do much in third person. Also not quite sure how that would really do anything in third person, which is just something you switch to to check no one is flanking/c4ing you. For what it would bring to the game, there are more important things to focus on first.
  11. FIN Faravid

Just make it so that you can't see enemies behind corners when you are in third person and i would be fine with third person mode. But i don't like being able to stay in cover while seeing all the enemies.

As for on screen dot, i don't see why people have problem with that. If you literally can put some tape on middle of your monitor to get the same advantage, its hardly an exploit or anything. In fact it propably should be supported by more games so everyone gets the same benefits as those who use third party apps or literally mark center of their screen with marker or something like that.
  12. Skraggz

Uhm, I shouldn't have to point this out but here we go, OP is talking about 3rd person views. Only vehicles allow for third person views, what vehicle in this game would benefit from know if an enemy is above or below you....? the entirety of air, and AA for that matter.

Side note, I support the idea of losing 3rd person altogether, think this would help the air game and help specifically the newbs get some of an edge, as most of them dont realize the benefits of 3rd person and the reverse maneuver.
  13. FateJH

It goes without saying what he's talking about. This was just a consequence of my "keep on topic" comment (what happens if we didn't), though my representation of relative altitude difference on the minimap proposal is genuine.
    That's where I started in this thread too.
  14. Skraggz

I could have taken the comments wrong easily.

Your comment on HUD though, I'd like to add ever since dx11 aerial HUD seems to be off. I use to be able to rotate to the target, now I rotate and rotate and rotate to see nothing... seems off to me.
  15. Scatterblak

Nope. Destroys the local tactical element by allowing players to see around things. It's been discussed off and on over the last 6 years. Ain't happening.

Next thread.
  16. DeadlyOmen

There is no place for third person views in first person games.
    • Up x 1