Brainstorm to make NSO's more attractive.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Demigan, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Demigan

The new robot faction is supposed to balance out the playerbase when one side is being overpopped, but so far the NSO's dont really offer a lot of interesting things to make players actually play them.

Reasons to play them:
    You want to be a kickbutt robot.

Reasons not to play them:
    You are always outnumbered (precious few enjoy this)
    Cant buy or equip faction-specific weapons and equipment.

We should have a brainstorm to make NSO's more interesting, without it becoming p2w. I suggest that most of the effort should go into making it easier and more enjoyable to fight while outnumbered, as that's the primary purpose these NSO's are being used for.

My idea's so far:
    High-speed spawning. The NSO's get to spawn faster whenever they are outnumbered. They could also get the option to spawn in on a highly maneuverable droppod that starts over the spawnpoint, allowing them more freedom in how they get around the base without being immediately being spawncamped.

Lower nanite cost for their equipment. Sounds like a good trade-off for not being able to use MAX's, ESF and MBT's.
  2. JibbaJabba

Give 'em all a bionics implant at BR15.

It will add some faction flavor both as a strength and weakness (see: EMPs).
    • Up x 2
  3. Demigan

Thats a pretty awesome idea. Having more shield also makes them regenerate their total healthpool faster, which helps them get back into the fight faster (except for those medkit addicts), evening out the balance against an overpop. Perhaps they can get access to an energy pack that recharges their shield rather than their health to compensate for the loss of medkit functionality.
    • Up x 2
  4. Pikachu

I always thought they were supposed to have all certs and the XP gained would go to another character of your choice. Maybe with a bonus.
  5. Luna12

Or just start by giving them a MAX and some kind of ESF replacement (the lightning should provide them with some tanking power for the time being).
  6. AllRoundGoodGuy

Just give the maxes some shotguns, it won't end badly I promise....
  7. Edenwolf

They don't need anything that would give them an edge, or anything special period. They are there to balance pops and for those who want to start a new character from scratch and want to roleplay the NS faction. There will be NS MAX, MBT and ESF in the future, just be patient. We all know what happens when you give a particular faction ANY sort of competitive edge, ****** plebs come flocking, completely negating the point of their balance inducing design.
  8. Pelojian

1) give f2p access to them

2) give them access to faction specific guns with discount cert costs that they can only use when on the required faction or give them weapons that don't require high skill (seriously high skill weapons for a class that swaps to balance out factions is counter productive)

3)give them some ES MBT and ESF, this could be a big plus for vehicle users to add some fresh gameplay
  9. Demigan

This isnt enough for all the things you lose. From faction-specific weapons to often being outnumbered. And having an NS ESF, MAX or MBT wont be enough, it just completes your options but doesnt offset the negatives.
  10. Edenwolf

Here's the kicker, if helping out the weaker faction isn't good enough for you, you don't have to play! Your next argument will probably be that they won't aid in the cause because they don't have empire specific equipment, this is simply not true. A skilled healer/engi/dps will always have an effect on the battlefield and 2/3 dont even need to pull a trigger. Often times, empire specific equipment is more flavor then a competitive advantage. You're also teamed up with another faction, of which will still have all of their empire goodies, it's not like NS ops is a lone faction. There doesn't need to be a reason to join the ops beyond simply aiding the weaker side, they aren't trying to have every one flock over to them.
  11. Demigan

Its about fun, not about what can happen or what it's meant for. Right now its the novelty of being a robot that attracts the players. But if you want to help the underpop side you can simply pick the right faction and have the full range of ES weapons and vehicles.

If you are going to play the underpop without ES weapons you need something interesting to do it, especially with the option to simply pick the underpop faction with a full complement of weapons and vehicles right there.
  12. OldCuban

Not sure if it intended or not, but currently whenever I play NSO, I can spawn almost instantly at every single fight.

And you're not always outnumbered. If anything ever since this patch rolled out, I'm seeing a lot more balance on continent populations. Not to mention a lot more people playing than I am used to seeing online at once.

Personally, I'm having a blast playing as an NSO.

Imho the only thing they need at this point is NSO specific vehicles. You know, the ones we're missing atm.
  13. Scrundle

I'm thoroughly enjoying playing NSO as it is but that AI MANA turret is hell, I mean, it looks GREAT but then you get on it and realise why the ES AI MANA turrets have see-through shields instead of metal plates...
    I'd like to see them mix up the NSO AI mines too, having them based on the betty is fine and all but maybe in the future we can have them refined into their own thing?
  14. Edenwolf

They didn't create the NS Ops for robot enthusiasts lol, they are there for pop balance. If there was nothing in the game for a specific purpose then we'd all be running rampant like headless chickens, I want a heavy soldier with a jet pack and cloak, would it be fun? Yes. Would it be of benefit to what the game was designed for? No.Yes, gaming is about having fun...and the fun in the NS Ops is playing the underdog faction/role playing the NS faction and the "using the value of their membership" factor. I know it might not come through to some, but helping the weak is a huge draw for more then one may think. The NS Ops was designed with a purpose in mind, I'm sorry it's not the purpose you want. All that being said, this argument is moot because they will have more NS flavored equipment etc. in the future. Why play any other faction if NS Ops had any sort of advantage, while maintaining the unique features of the other empires?
  15. Demigan

Oh deary me, more NS equipment? Available to ALL FACTIONS? So that thing I said about just picking a the faction with low pop rather than shoot yourself in the foot by pickibg NSO and not having access to 50% of the weapon choices is still kinda a pretty big deal here. There needs to be something to set NSO apart from just picking the low faction, and NS weapons available to all aint it.

And where did you get your numbers about people who like being underpopped? Complaint number one and two consist out of underpop and Zergs. So I want to know where you get the idea that playing underpop is what many people want?
  16. Edenwolf

Well, considering I saw at least a hundred diff NS Ops in my 30 min play through last night might be pretty telling. Also, I didn't say many. There is enough though that there is by average, even population. The argument of using empire specific weapons I could see, creating more incentive via ANY sort of advantage will never happen, and shouldnt.
  17. Demigan

So you are basing it on current population that is using the momentary novelty? We've seen weapons that were extremely bad used en-mass by the population because it was new after an update.

And for the umptillionth time, no one is going to use NSO after the novelty wears off and people who like being outnumbered or the underdog will simply pick the low-pop faction with the full range of weapons and vehicles instead of a robot with much less options.
  18. Edenwolf

Only time will tell, I have a feeling NS Ops will form a solid player base. I suppose we'll have this argument again in a few months time.
  19. Ypsilon-Oh

Give them a Power Knife with a sound between Carver and Lumine Edge...

or to make it more attractive make it completly silent
  20. SilentSueRia

Well, first step in helping the NS OPS, make all DB Cash purchases that where universal for all 3 main factions apply to NS OPS as well. You already can't use faction specific equipment and cant place silo's for construction. Anything that is unlocked on all 3 factions should also be unlocked for the NS OPS as well.

NS Inf weapons and those DB bought mods that you added to it should not be the only DB cash unlocks that carry over.

ALL DayBreak Cash shop items you purchased that unlocked on all factions should apply to NS OPS as well. All universal vehicle weapons unlocks, construction unlocks that are DB buy-able, DB-able weapons mods that apply to all factions. Anything you managed to get with DB cash in the past that cross faciton applies should apply to NS OPS as well.

You are already at a disadvantage since you can't use faction equipment nor place silos. Not having what you already own is the same as price gouging, especially when those items where specifically designed to be game wide unlocked across all factions in the first place. It is a marketing ploy gone too far, that also dishonors the original design of the purchase and creates/validates any distrust a customer may developed or have already developed. ESPECIALLY given the amount of things NS OPS can't do out of the box! Denying them also, any previously DB bought universal unlocked equipment as well as way too far!
    • Up x 3