[Suggestion] While i like the idea of dx11 , why not dx12 or vulkan?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by kingduckling, Dec 5, 2018.

1. kingduckling

Personally i would like a technical answer and not a fanboy answer like "omg so ungrateful, bla bla bla".
    From my limited understanding dx12 or vulkan would be better suited for newer generation of gpus and better support for multithreading.

Maybe someone from daybreaking could answer, thanks in advance.
  2. Liewec123

Vulcan is THE DREAM.
    But I guess games need to be made with vulkan in mind from the start,
    Its so very different to everything that has came before, i'd like to see it in all future games,
    I'm actually quite surprised that we're getting DX11 support! I don't envy the people tasked with working that magic!

So I'd guess the answer is "because it would be way too difficult (or even impossible) to make it work."
  3. FateJH

4. kingduckling

so the answer is just that it is harder for both dx12 and vulkan.
    Where im trying to get at is, AMD for both cpu and gpu would not get as much performance due to multithreading and lack of dx11 support, ofc gpu directx11 support is AMD's concern and not ps2 devs.
  5. adamts01

From what I hear, it's much, much easier to switch from dx9 to dx11 than to switch to Dx12, and due to diminishing returns dx11 is the way to go for this game. It's also possible to switch from 9 to 11 and make performance worse. I've played other games that made this exact same switch and I stuck to dx9 for the next year because dx11 ran so poorly. So I'm happy they're taking the easier rout, especially considering their limited resources.

As for why this is happening now, I'm sure it's because Nvidia is dropping all dx9 support within a month or two.
  6. ridicOne

There are a handful of games that use dx12 and half of those the games run worse than dx11.

Dx9 has been left in the dust for a long time now. The support has been dropped for years now. Video driver updates have been solely improving dx11... somewhat dx12 but there's only a handful of games even using dx12 at this point in time.

Cant wait to see what happens with the dx11 update.
  7. Talthos

Isn't DirectX 12 also exclusive to Windows 10?

Wouldn't that that mean that, if Planetside 2 were to transition to dx12 instead of dx11, literally everyone still using Windows 7 and Windows 8, would get locked out of the game, due to incompatibility?
  8. Towie

Yes it is - which is one very good reason to NOT go straight to 12. Lots of people are still on 7 or 8. In fact - statistically - more people are on 7 than 10.

With Vulkan - it runs better on AMD hardware than Nvidia. Nvidia has around 70% market share compared to 30% AMD.

So in conclusion - DBG made the smart decision and went with DX11. Can't really argue with them....
    • Up x 2