Graphics question concerning particles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by adamts01, Oct 30, 2018.

1. adamts01

There are two settings in user options. Particle LOD, and ParticleDistanceScale. My end goal is to turn particle quality down to the minimum for performance, but see tracers as far as possible for A2A. I have particle Quality down to low, but tracers seem to disappear early when set to 1.00. Can ParticleDistanceScale help this? What are the min/max values to play with?
  2. HippoCryties

Particle LOD is the distance that you can see tracers, so you must have it very high for A2A, particles also must be on at least medium I think, on medium the tracers won’t have any colour and on high they will be faction coloured. If you have particles on low you won’t be able to see tracers at all ( at least in my experience, haven’t flown since the air game died). Try medium particles and tell me what happened , hopefully it works!
  3. adamts01

Particles on low shows tracers, but with no detail. Particles on High doesn't go out far enough. Particles on Ultra gives me great range but terrible performance as infantry in big fights.

LOD doesn't seem to do much. I've played around with the numbers but haven't been able to improve anything. It's also hard to figure out what max actually is. There doesn't seem to be any difference between 1 and 2 for example. So maybe 1 is max? But that doesn't relate to tracer range at all it seems. I can't find any useful guides on this, even on Iridar's site.
  4. HippoCryties

From my experience with LOD set to 0 I couldn’t actually see tracers at all even on ultra particles. If I put it to 0.2 then I can only see tracers in infantry fights not in air, so LOD definitely makes a difference to visible distance. Maybe try searching up some good pilots YouTube’s and asking for their Useroptions.ini? I would do it myself but I’m short of time right now
  5. adamts01

I've noticed those same changes when I was fiddling with turning particles off when I had a laptop. Every one of those top pilots uses Ultra particles. It makes such a huge difference at range. I'm so fed up with this game's ****** performance and all these patches that keep making things worse. On top of spawn room busters and A2A missiles with unlimited turn speed. Oh well, I'll be back in the States in a couple months where I can access Squad servers. Then goodbye Planetside.
  6. HippoCryties

:/