[Suggestion] So I had a interesting idea to transform Engineers into Combat Engineers.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gustavo M, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Gustavo M

A new ability: "Reboot"(Couldn't think in a better name, honestly.):Shields recharge instantly on activation and shields recharge (5% ~ 15%)faster for three seconds. Receiving damage will disable this effect. This ability can be used once every 60 seconds.
    --
    It's similar to Combat Medics self heal (to an extent) -- but can't be used while being shot. Then again, it has a better "heal" to offset that. Aaand yeah.. engies won't be able to use ammo packs, spitty, whatever if they want to use this ability.
    --
    So there you go, ladies and gents: Engineers finally becoming Combat Engineers, in theory. What do you think?
  2. FateJH

Sounds a bit underwhelming, especially in light of your proposed offsets (no ammo pack, etc.).

Engineers are tool-users (okay, "deployable gadget users," as a Tool is something specific to this game) and their personal strengths should focus on their gadgetry in my opinion.
    • Up x 3
  3. Dreadz

Agreed.
    • Up x 1
  4. Gustavo M

And Medics are healers that can also heal themselves...? Even if you may say "but they don't have the same tools as the engy does!" -- there's a reason I proposed a tradeoff for this ability.
  5. adamts01

This is similar to just running Advances Shield Capacitor and Survivalist. I run that with Auxiliary Shield and Regeneration. It's great for those situations where you're in a position to make trades. Just duck down for a few seconds after being hit and your shield is back to 100%. You end up having more up time than a medic with the shield tool. It's pretty fun in certain situations, but it won't help at all in a 1v1.
    • Up x 1
  6. Gustavo M

And Medics self-heal (considering a engagement of two players with average and equal "shooting skill") can be compared to another nanoweave (or even two more?) equipped -- since it allows the medic to survive two (or even three) bullets compared to the Engineer. And Heavy Assaults with their 1,7k (effective, thanks to overshield) hp... eeeeh.... might as well not go that far, I guess.
  7. frozen north

To be honest, the engineer with all their equipment are already combat engineers. Plus, the carbines can be utterly terrifying, even without the mobility of a light assault behind them. The GD-7F is a perfect example, as is the LC2 lynx.

Heck even the stock carbines can be nightmares to fight.
  8. adamts01

Like I said, it's not a competitive 1v1 build, but medics deal more sustained dps than HAs, and this Engineer build has more sustained dps than a medic.
  9. utofbu

I am really not against that. If a sniper out of max-dmg range drops you to nothing and you are repping 3 vehics and a max on some sloped terrain or w/e. It would be both a bane for a sloppy infil as well as a real momentum-driver for a attrition fight. I would actually really support this idea. I say this as someone who snipes quite often and targets engis behind lines. I would even add.
    triggering reboot, guarantees sub-lethal headshots from a sniper if at full shields and the recharge buff is on.
    As in, if you have full shields and the % recharge buff is on, the first shot can only deplete the shields and like 75% of existing health, even if you have 4 hp. So you can absorb one more if there is a medic chilling on you.
    • Up x 1
  10. Jbeasty

Wouldn't be against it. Would definitely trade my turret for it. I have huge ammo issues as a distance or close flanker (using suppressor) as someone who does not infantry in a squad. So, every loadout atm is pretty much catlike/ammo printer, OTHER than my engineer, which I have taken a liking to and me and a friend have called it a "combat engineer" for a while now. I LOVE using counter intelligence with my engie because I don't need ammo printer. Makes you realize just how ******** spotting is in this game, so you know when you're tagged and multiple idiots who previously had no idea where you were, come running because of your arrow on the map.
    • Up x 1
  11. Gustavo M

Looks extremely situational to make a noticeable effect. But since you are talking about adding another effect to follow up the shield regen boost... then I'd prefer something like Overwatch's Widowmaker "wallhack", allowing the engy to see through walls for (also) three seconds. Extremely useful, and not "messes up" with the game pace.
  12. FateJH

I don't understand how your proposed counterpoint relates to my comment at all.

You want to create a "Combat" Engineer, my suggestion is that you do it by enhancing his deployable gadget arsenal for aggressive behavior rather than his capacity for damage recovery.
  13. Gustavo M

I followed your logic and mentioned Medics multi-tasking capabilities.
    By following your logic, once again... that's like, say... Medics could only heal other players. And then someone asks for a ability that enhances Medics combat abilities. And then you say "Why not making his heals better so his teammates don't die as often?That will make the Medic better in combat... right?"
    Even with that, the -only- thing that helps engies in (direct engagement/combat) is the spitfire. Just imagine a BR 10 sitting close to the engy waiting you to mow the engy down while he finally notices you and shoots you once with his (100 damage per bullet) pistol. Yes, the AI mines exist, the AV mines exist, the AI turret exist -- but those don't make (the engy) combat viable (read:able to deal with threats in combat by his own.)
  14. FateJH

But that wasn't my logic at all. If that was my logic, it'd be so easy to diffuse as saying, "Engineers can resupply their own ammunition." Personally, I think all classes should have been able to use Engineer-placed MANA turrets and I remain stumped why this was overlooked, even originally. Regardless, I've clearly stated I don't think direct vitality recovery from combat situations should belong to the Engineer's exclusive toys.
  15. Luicanus

As someone who's sunk 50%+ of my playtime into Engineers, I'm a little confused as to what way they're lacking in the combat department?

They already have 'Quick Shield Recovery' which passively reduces recharge start by 2 seconds, and as others have pointed out Survivalist 4/5 takes another second off of that.

They get mines and a Spitfire to draw the attention of my enemy away or act as warnings of flankers.

They can even set up a nest (Hardlight Barrier, Spitfire, MANA) which if positioned well and using the right implants can be a brutal hold that can take down even a MAX that tries to push it.

Why would anyone dream of trading the bulk of their toolset for an ability that doesn't even heal their wounds, it's like fire suppression but only for shields...
  16. Gustavo M

Then please mention one engineer ability that enhances THE ENGINEER in combat. I'll wait. And no, neither faster shield recharge, mines, spitfire, hardlight barrier and the mana makes the engineer more appropriate in combat. In. Combat. You know, when the other planetman engages you and is shooting your face. In other words: setting up traps =/= combat effectiveness. Even with that, I proposed a tradeoff for this ability. So I don't see a reason to discuss this further.
    Instant shield regen = more shields = more resistance.And it's intentional;or else everyone would whine that "engineers stole medics ability to heal and it's not fair!". Heh.
    ...and I've clearly stated a tradeoff in order to adquire this ability? I mean, it has a similar behavior to Medics self heal but its slightly different. And it makes sense (Engineers = mechanics. Shields = mechanics.) And can be cancelled if the engy receives (any) damage from any source. And the engy also loses -ALL- his tools in order to adquire it. (Something like stalker cloak.) So I don't see any gamebreaking issue coming out because of this ability.
  17. Gustavo M

I said, "I don't see a reason to discuss -THIS- (Engy has more toys than everyone else!) argument further". I mean, I proposed a tradeoff of all engy "toys" for the ability -- why are you guys talking about it?
  18. Clipped!

Speaking of engi, the spitfire turret is rather useless in any frontal fight due to it's horrible dps, projectile speed, and terrible AI that only shoots where the target is at, not where they're going to be as targets can just strafe back and forth and barely get hit if at all. Sure, it's useful to alert you to flankers and whittle down or kill an airborne LA if lucky but that's it.
  19. AEROCHAOSS

Does the robotics and jokey implant stack? Cuz then you have a really durable engie, once using a turret
  20. FateJH

You were the one who brought the point up that the balancing factor would be the removal of one of these class features so your replies against that will be a mixture of people who think Engineers already are too toy-laden and people who do not think the exchange is worthwhile. It's an inevitable invitation.

I'm of the latter mind in that I simply don't find it a compelling trade-off for what feels like an uninspired ability. It does nothing but to play the Engineer in vanity of the strengths of the Heavy Assault or the Combat Medic - mostly the Combat Medic, though - to the detriment of actual Engineering. Not even the Heavy Assault or Combat Medic have to suffer that kind of class-distilling indignity in the few ways that they can branch away from their class core. Personally, your idea sounds like something that would benefit the Light Assault since his design is expectorant of skirting in and out of combat situations quickly. I can also see this doing something interesting with the Infiltrator combined with his limitation where normally his shield does not recharge while cloaked. It doesn't complement the Engineer in my book; and, at the same time, it doesn't seem to let them branch out either. Even if his new ability were played straight, he would remain trapped behind that initial combat.