[Suggestion] Are NC weapons too easy and simple to use?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DispatchPilot, Jul 21, 2018.

1. DispatchPilot

I feel like everytime I get on Low levels kill me easy when I encounter them I shoot for headshots, but I still die from those stupid NC weapons so can you lower the ttk and why do there smgs have a HIGH RATE OF FIRE tf because I play TR and I feel underpowered when I fight a Low BR with there stupid weapons
  2. Vulpecula07

I can seriously tell you TR weapons generally perform better at close range.
    I haven't touched my NC character for a few months, I can tell you I feel much safer using my TR character in close range.
    I feel much easier landing my shots on moving targets when I use fast ROF weapons.
    The TR pistol repeater is also fantastic. I even killed many heavy at a fast speed with it, simply solid.

So, it's either your skill or your network that makes you feel the other side has superior weapons.

Or you just want to complain because of the frustration you experienced in game. If that's the case, blame the game, blame it for its poor frustration mitigation mechanism (if there is any), not the other faction.
    • Up x 2
  3. Eternaloptimist

What Vulpecula says about network is correct (type /fps to see what your framerate is in bottom left hand corner of screen) .............plus some low BRs are alts for high BR players. I have a ftp account with lower BR toons for mucking around along with my higher BR membership account, although I don't class myself as a particularly skilled player.

Burst firing and recoil management make for tighter bullet grouping when firing, so technique matters. And some weapons have naturally tighter cone of fire. For example, I recently switched from my trusty Jaguar and Lynx to the T5 AMC carbine and it has laser-like accuracy at longer ranges by comparison, which more than compensates for the lower RoF. You mention SMGs which all tend to have a tight CoF or high damage per round.

So - network performance, actual (rather than implied by BR) skill, shooting technique and finally, engagement range appropriate to your weapon of choice. Don't forget also, that some players have reached BR 100 then switched to the ASP programme and started at BR 1 again.
  4. TheSunlikeOne

In general, NC already has longer (slower) TTK, than TR.

NC has only one SMG with high RoF - Blitz and it has the same fire rate and damage as VS Sirius. You have something personal against NC, aren't you?
    • Up x 3
  5. DispatchPilot

what about the gladus or whatever its called
  6. LordKrelas

Have you tried the Gladius. No damn hipfire either way.
    As well, at worst, that's 2 SMG's, that aren't noticeably slower RPM compared to the other two's SMG's.

If a 'low' BR player with an NC weapon is actually being effective;
    If an Heavy-Assault, that's with a 500-RPM Gauss-Saw - which is a severe RPM difference & accuracy-requirement.
    Which means, if 'low' is related to new, they're not likely new at all.
  7. Demigan

I think the key here is that you fire for headshots.

Except for CQC and the first shots, PS2's weapon COF means that you'll miss far more shots and damage if you remain aiming for the head. There are only a few weapons that have the accuracy and ability to remain accurate. So your tendency to go for headshots could easily hamper your skill. Good etiquette for PS2 is to start with headshots, move to the neck area so some stray shots will still hit the head and when COF grows real big either go for full torso or settle COF.
    • Up x 3
  8. Twin Suns

What a great rant on why we should change the game for YOU. Simply astonishing.
  9. blackboemmel

BEST thing you cab do is: Create an NC char. Play those "stupid weapons". Record some of your gameplay and come back to explain what exactly is "stupid" about NC weapons.
    • Up x 3
  10. OneShadowWarrior

The NC weapons feel slow, clunky and sound god awful, even the cosmetics need overhauls, from the Gauss to even the Godsaw. They are ugly and boring. Daybreak has done better with releasing newer weapons!

Why beat a dead horse? When they are doing better with new content!
  11. JibbaJabba

My suggestions:

1. ANY time it seems like some other faction has an OP weapon, switch factions and give it a serious try. Try to get good with the weapon. In doing so you'll find *every* time that it's not OP and you'll learn it's weaknesses.

2. Find Cyrius Gaming's "surviving your third hour of planetside" video. It will give insight.

3. For your headshots, land first shot on head, then start pulling towards torso as your CoF blooms.
  12. MiMiXii

I play NC and I prefer playing against VS rather than TR, since TRs weapons will always be superior as long as the ttk was the same... Higher firerate equals more room for error and easier to kill
  13. raffa2

Coming from TR, trying the gauss saw made me love it, it's extremely accurate, has a huge magazine and deals a lot of damage, you can kill anything from anywhere with it unlike the CARV, that's maybe why you get killed, you approach from the wrong ranges

Also for those that say the SAW is difficult to use, it's a blatant lie, it's difficult only if you don't know what aiming down sights is, also the recoil is extremely easy to compensate as it's mostly vertical

In my opinion NC infantry weapons are the best in the game, in each category, except for the CQC carabines, as the lynx might have an edge on the other 2 competitors
  14. pnkdth

No, NC weapons are not harder or easier to use than TR/VS. Though the lie, "NC is hard mode", has been repeated like a mantra for so long many NC players believe this lie. There is so little that separates the factions in terms of infantry weapons any themes feel little more than cosmetic/personal preference.

Likewise, it is easy to blame the other player's tools when losing. Either you figure it out and learn how to make use of your faction's strengths or you risk becoming a perpetual victim. Worst case scenario is that you're not that good at the moment but on the upside that means you can improve by practicing more.

With TR and high rate of fire weapons I recommend aiming for the neck/high upper chest area and then try to compensate the recoil. Head over to the VR training and practice practice practice till you can learn each of your favourite weapons recoil pattern.

To improve accuracy (and also headshots), depending on range you do shorter micro bursts (long range) or prolonged bursts in CQC (at extremely close range you can probably get away with just going full DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA). Note this is for high rate of fire weapons though can apply to other weapons too. The point here is to avoid a lot of misses because of high ROF+recoil and at the same time get a solid amount of headshots.

As you improve you might even feel comfy with a high precision playstyle of lots of microbursting. When you nail this, expect a lot of hackusations though of people screaming "ERMERGERD HOW U INSTAGIBB ME!11o1o1nee!!!!!" It is amazing how triggered people get when they thoroughly and utterly dunked. Love the TRV for this reason. Beastly once tamed.
  15. AlcyoneSerene

Exactly. I call it propaganda from players who settle for nothing short of an 'i win' button, or really poor players who need all the pampering they can get from higher tier damage weapons with decent to exceptional accuracy.

I know low RoF high damage weapons, the VS Ursa definitely is at a disadvantage up close unless you can land headshots, and the CoF takes a while to re-center to be able to hit long range, yet it's still surprisingly accurate and effective if used right or if the distance and situation favors it.

I also know high RoF low damage weapons, TR Watchman, or high RoF mid-range damage like MSW-R, or accurate NS weapons like NS15, NS11A, NSX-Tanto, and a ton of other guns of all types at least on VS side.

In no way do I see NC infantry guns lacking, if anything, they are outperforming everything else when considering the scenarios and latency differences between players which nullify the split-second advantages of higher TTK on high RPM weapons, something again the NC do not lack in their arsenal.

TR on the other hand, that poor accuracy can't always be compensated for, rapid tap firing doesn't instantly nullify bloom, the RoF decrease with unstable FPS, and outright inconsistent weapon output, these I can speak for since I play as or versus TR a lot in my almost 2K hours combined, there's something wrong when TR players, on average, die to me way more often than NC infantry, and to less total apparent damage, and I'm not even that good or uber-try hard and don't 'main' anything.

I simply believe developers made it this way on purpose, and have no intention of creating true 'asymmetrical balance,' by accounting for hardware limitations so I simply game with it in mind and adjust tactics accordingly as much as possible.

One thing NC do deserve and desperately need is way better cosmetics of all types, or reworked cosmetic options. There's a huge difference between ugly/unappealing, and rugged/utilitarian.
  16. Campagne

If any faction is truly "hard mode," it's NC, or at least the NC's signature 200 damage guns. And to call the SAW an "I win" gun is truly hilarious.

There's a lot more to a SAW than just recoil control. But starting from the top, these weapons are significantly more penalizing for missed shots than other weapons and require an unrealistically high accuracy to out perform most other weapons in common ranges.

The major limitation of a SAW's effectiveness is its COF bloom, of which is 0.07 per shot. While true that the SAW does have perfect accuracy while completely stationary, this is only for the first shot. The intense bloom compounded by the poor strafing CoF (0.35 ADS) really requires the player control the bloom by firing very short bursts as range increases.

The best way to do this is via stutter-stepping, where the player fires a short burst, steps a few times in another direction, pauses and fires another short burst, and repeats the process. This helps maintain as much accuracy as possible while still attempting to become a difficult target for opponent.

This can sometimes seem rather simple and straight-forward, but is a lot of different factors to focus on in a hectic fight on a dynamic battleground. The player would have to maintain accuracy, control the weapon's recoil, and control the bloom by firing in short bursts, all while pacing out the stutter-stepping to not overlap and fire in a less accurate stance or waste any time while stationary to avoid return fire. All while being shot at and potentially having to lead the target. And, because firing like this would greatly reduce DPS, the user would have to be scoring headshots fairly consistently to make up for the lengthened TTK.

All so the weapon will actually maintain the accuracy it requires to kill with the same effectiveness as another weapon.

Not to say the SAW or the 200/500 RPM model is bad or anything, just that is isn't inherently superior to any other damage model. Easy mode, it is not.
    • Up x 2
  17. Lee Weldon

If you looked at TTKs the penalty in hardware on high ROF guns actually is taken into account for, mostly the best TTKs on these guns and whats kind of worse is that some people actually do have computers that cost them over 2,000 and get a fair advantage from it, I've even seen streamers with sponsers on these top end computers actually getting a fair advantage of it. How do you balance it when its one damage tier for one person and another for someone else when not trying to make the game P2W (not saying that its not either) but to give the illusion that any player is on par, evenly and fairly. That and split seconds, well when a TTK is ~0.5 seconds for most highly competitive guns, can be like 0.25 seconds with all headshots and no misses (not that this is realistic), but the gap is something like 0.1-0.2 seconds on some guns, so is already like a 33% faster TTK.
  18. AlcyoneSerene

What's hilarious is how you can read my post and come up with the proposition that I said Saw LMGs are an "I win button." The rest of your post applies to every other gun in the game for proper use.

One proposition would be for the developers to actually test the damage models across a more realistic set of circumstances with varying frames per second. Then tweak the damage tiers and rates of fire to achieve an actual asymmetrical balance between the guns, making it possible to have a faction-specific tiny advantage if used within those scenarios that benefit the faction trait.

As for latency differences, that one's more complicated, and I've heard many suggestions put forth, including putting a halt to ping spiking (netlimiting cheaters), forced server moves if ping is beyond a certain amount, better network hardware, maybe enforced ping buffers to specific groups of player clusters to one another, better server-side damage detection (damage dealt or received with shield shimmer but no actual damage registered), and that would clear up the gaming experience a whole lot more already.
  19. Liewec123

NC weapons are far more punishing when you miss shots due to slower rates of fire,
    you'd think to counter this they would be superior when landing shots, but infact they generally have less dps.
    gauss saw vs carv as an example, SAW deals a max of 1,660 dps, while carv deals a max of 1,787.
    a missed shot with saw is a 12% dps loss, a missed shot with carv is only an 8% dps loss.

Saw also has one of the highest vertical recoils in the game (0.55),
    meaning that missing is a fair bit more likely than with carv. (0.4)
    • Up x 5
  20. Campagne

Probably because you called the SAW an "I win" weapon.

I take no issue with the rest of your post, just this segment. :p
    • Up x 2