Removing headshot bonus?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tozze101, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Tozze101

After a short break of almost one year (not including a quick session a few months back) i decided to pick up this game again. Currently updating and i remembered there was a discussion way back about removing headshot bonus for almost every weapon except snipers, pistols and one or two special weapons. This was mainly a suggestion aimed at less skilled players to have a fair chance against all the veterans still playing the game. Whatever became of that discussion and is it still something being considered?

I'm mainly asking because i'm one of those that will never get any better then a mediocre player because of several medical conditions. Don't get me wrong, i still can perform pretty well at long to medium range but up close i can't keep up with the headshot accuracy of veteran players. I still manage to get good bodyshots but half a clip of bodyshots vs a couple of good headshots makes a huge difference.

Other then that i'm still grateful that this game is still supported
    • Up x 3
  2. Halkesh

It look like you describe an old thread I made. The discussion ended in an off-thread about HA overshield.

Now, I think removing nanoweave armor will be enough to reduce the gap between new player and veterans. It will also improve suit slot diversity. (since currentlynano is the go-to)

The headshot multiplier reduction to x1,5 will just make salty veterans angry but will only reduce the TTK gap by 0,1-0,15 sec. While nano removal will be somewhat more accepted and will reduce the TTK gap by 0,15-0,24 sec.
    About my maths, I assume mercenary, pulsarVS1 and gauss saw are the standard DPS weapons.
    • Up x 2
  3. Jbeasty

Imo, there definitely should be a reward for headshots across the board.

However, it shouldn't make body/leg shots so obsolete by comparison. This is primarily why I think nanoweave should be removed from the game. It is BY FAR the most used in that slot and getting rid of it puts everyone on a more equal playing field and we can pick other options (such as ammo) without feeling like we are playing at a disadvantage. Nanoweave has also made things like carapace far too disrupting in the field. Game would definitely be better off without it, but I'd even accept them making nanoweave baseline for everyone, just so we can actually use something else in that slot.
  4. Sprant Flere-Imsaho

Hi,
    I openly admit I'm rusty and lack skill. I tense up and panic in every firefight and any headshot I get is a lucky accident. I want the game made easier for me or at least harder for people who are practiced and skilled. Please make the game as bland as possible and give me points if I win or lose because I tried my bestest.
    • Up x 1
  5. adamts01

• Lower the headshot modifier from 2 to 1.75
    • Ruduce health to keep the same headshot ttk, but lower bodyshot ttk. Add a resistance to everything else to keep HE ttk the same.
    • Reduce the benefit of nanoweave by 25%
    Just some small changes to make body shots viable, while still rewarding good aim.
  6. AEROCHAOSS

Well, in CSS many guns just OHK you. You learned fast to get killed or kill by that reason.
    When your aim is not that awesome as from many players, stick to groups. Why punishing people who are good? I mean for the shielding implant combined with battleharden and a high hs rate you're pretty outstanding. But I don't see a reason to reduce the damage, neither to increase it. When someone is just better in aiming, he deserves to get more kills. Further more increasing bullet need would benefit NC, as they have high dmg per bullet, as well as TR gets a benefit due more bullets per clip. VS would loose due quick reload.
    Well focusing on support roles and rear protection works well with worse aim, as you won't face many enemies and can restore uraelf many times, as well as ure able to position yourself much better.

That's my personal opinion.
    • Up x 1
  7. adamts01

The better player will always do better. This game is unique though, in that there isn't a match maker or any segregation. In order for lesser-skilled players to still find enjoyment, there needs to be an effort to lessen the performance gap between vets and noobs.

Pretend that we halve the size of heads, and quadruple body armor. The top 1% would love that move. That would heavily benefit the best players, and reward their skill, but would that be best for the game?

Slightly reducing the headshot modifier and lowering overall health isn't catering to bads, it's providing a more enjoyable game for the majority of players. I'm not a great player, but I manage to get an A+ on my headshot kill ratio. So I'm not proposing this for my own benefit, but for the betterment of the game.
    • Up x 1
  8. Halkesh

I think it's a highly complex and devs unfriendly suggestion.
    Honestly, either removing nanoweave armor or the small weapon resistance from it will solve the problem about HS ttk and bodyshot ttk.
  9. Crowne

Without getting into the headshot question, there's a lot you can do without that specific skillset and still be very helpful to your team.

As others have mentioned, there's "rear" support. It's helpful when someone stays with the sundy to defend/repair. Preferably more than just one person. You can defend from a bit of distance so you can see flying fairies dropping c4, etc. No offense to flying fairies, I'm often one of them.

Gunners in vehicles help too.
    Personally I really like denying the enemy an open sky to fly in using a burster max. It does mean some longish periods of waiting so it's not for everyone, but it's satisfying when I can repel aircraft before they damage the team.
    You may find vehicles are more numerous than when you used to play. There were always tank columns, but I've been seeing more enemy columns show up to slug it out. Medium to long range matters in those types of engagements. Lock-ons may help.
    (don't forget about reammo/repair sundies)

If you're rushing in to take the point, medics go a very long way. Rez grenade!
    Engies keeping those maxes up, or repairing them after a rez.
    Maxes themselves may be a good fit for you?
    Mana-turrets? Though they feel a bit like a death trap these days. If you really like that ting™ sound of your head getting shot off though, then mana turrets are great.

Choose your battles. Engage on your own terms as best you can. You may be at a disadvantage in CQC, but luckily there is way more than that in this game. Plenty of ways to shiv the enemy. You'll find your niche.

Oh, speaking of shiv... stalker cloak and giant butcher knife.:eek: Ain't got time for no headshots. ;)

Good luck soldier, happy hunting.
  10. DemonicTreerat

First some people need to get their heads out of their ego's. He's not asking for advice people. He's suggesting a change. If you can't address that then you need to leave the thread as you're clearly not even willing to consider a change to the game.

As to the original suggestion. I say go for it and if not remove then at least cut the bonus severely. To say 150% for everything that isn't a sniper, scout, or semi-automatic battle rifle then remove the insult that is nanoweave entirely. If some sort of armor absolutely has to stay make it function like PS1 armor - blocking a certain amount (percent or fixed value) of each shot but once its absorbed a certain amount its gone until repaired (by an engineer, a medic, time, whatever). Come to think about it, this also addresses the stupidity that is certain weapons (chiefly 200 damage/ low RoF ones) getting hit extra hard (as in requiring 2 extre bullets to kill instead of 1) by nanoweave. So the only real downside is that people who depend on what is effectively a free second hit from a head shot to turn a bad fight around will get killed a bit more frequently.

To anyone about to say "but headshots are ESSENTIAL! NO VETS WILL STAY WITH THEM!!!!"
    PS1 didn't have any headshot bonus at all and it got along just fine for years despite at least one attempt by a developer to sabotage the game in favor of "the vets". Ironically it also had less of a problem with aim bots of either type as well. Maybe because without such gross catering to the "MLG twitch (*cough* aimbotters *cough*)" everyone else had a chance to enjoy the game and that lead to new players sticking around.
    • Up x 3
  11. Liewec123

i definitely think it should be lowered for sure,
    not removed, the higher skill player should still be rewarded with the win in 1v1s.

i recently suggested something like a 30% damage increase for headshots,
    pros will still win head to head 1v1s, they just won't end it before you can even land 2 shots.
    and if they get caught off guard and you start filling them with bullets from behind
    they can't pull a magical 180 and instakill you before their shield is even gone.
  12. LodeTria

It was a discussion only had by bads and ****ters.
    No-one with any real skill, and more importantly, the devs themselves have ever said anything about lowering it.
  13. infilallday

I agree with this
    Automatic weapons should have a 150% max headshot bonus
    Im not a veteran in this game yet by a longshot (an EM4 longshot....) but have played enough to see that anymore than 150% is just too much. Of course VETS are going to whinge at this, headshots are hard to do and they deserve to do more damage.

I think the highr the ROF, the lower the headshot damage should be

Or keep it how it is and have nanoweave work on headshots for anything thats not a sniper/scout rifle
    • Up x 1
  14. FateJH

I'd rather if the bonus was just more varied from weapon to weapon, even with some weapons having no bonus.
    • Up x 1
  15. Gustavo M

While we are at it -- let's remove strafing, recoil and implement auto aim... so "noob" players like you can stand a chance against veterans.

Seriously? I'm sorry but have you ever thought on how bland the infantry combat will be if headshot multiplier is reduced or even removed from the game? For all its worth... if you want to "gain that sense of feel of pride and accomplishment" of shooting another player... instead of asking to "nerf the game"... git gud.
    • Up x 1
  16. infilallday

Would only be bland if it was removed completely.
    • Up x 2
  17. adamts01

I share his philosophy on why headshots should be tuned down, but differ in that I want the same ttk in the end.
    • Up x 1
  18. Halkesh

Same thing here, Cyrious basically suggest to remove HSmultiplier with is last sentence about 6-7 headshot (or at least it's what I understand), I think it will be too much as it won't reward headshot enough.
    But I'm all for reduce the gap between HS and bodyshot : a 2,5 ratio (x2;x0,8) is far too high.
    • Up x 1
  19. JibbaJabba

I'll leave you all to discuss the nuances.

As a whole, I think it would be good for the game to reduce headshot bonues significantly. Snipers should still get that one shot kill, that's an important reward I think. Reward for headshots from carbines, LMGs and the like need reduced though. Cyrius did a good job explaining. It's just not healthy for the game.

Yes, this would impact me. I'm no 300kph death machine but I focus on headshots and enjoy the advantage the results give me over those that are less skilled. If I had to give that up I would still enjoy the game.
    • Up x 2
  20. Gustavo M

Like toning down ADAD or adding a "slightly" autoaim to the game would not make it bland. Yes, it would.
    Toning down headshots would make things like positioning, reaction time or even reflexes less important and making the game a absolute "hold left button to win".
    Again... work on your aiming skills instead of asking to nerf the game, please.
    • Up x 2