Its been such a long time

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DQCraze, Mar 13, 2018.

1. DQCraze

Came back to play, left after season 2 and the bases. Air vs ground is gone, lol. Thermals only spot vehicles, skyguards, vaporize planes now in 2 secs, Rangers do the same, Walker is useless and hyenas are the best anti air. Nerfed the libs into the ground, Air is only good vs Air and transportation. I see a few really good pilots on from time to time. I see Air annoyed everyone so much they basically made it useless to play ATG. The game is now 1 dimensional, and has become an arena deathmatch with people mindlessly running in trying to get a kill and respawning, there is no shame in this playstyle anymore. Sad...
    • Up x 3
  2. raffa2

Apart from a few overnerfed weapons, the game hasn't ever been this balanced.
    Air is not oppressive as before when the flak armor could let libs destroy everything on ground without fear of being shot down.
    Flak is strong enough just to scare away smart pilots, only killing overcommitting ones.

The problem with air is just the high cost and high skill ceiling which discourages most players to participate, so this creates empty skies. Dogfighting against a good player is mostly a 100% chanse loss for many so they don't even bother, and to survive anti air you need experience against and later respect towards it, things which can get frustrating for newbies.
    • Up x 2
  3. FLHuk

Air v ground no longer exists. Ok, understood.

Can I interest you in some magic beans?
    • Up x 4
  4. stalkish

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  5. DQCraze

Well at least on emerald it doesnt for the most part, Air vs Ground vehicles maybe but Air vs Ground infantry is nearly completely gone.
  6. Prudentia

ah yes, say that to the 5 Banshee mossies you can find in every single fight thats not a biolab... actually no, most biolab fights have that too due to the pads.
    • Up x 3
  7. Demigan

Yes because equipping rocketpods and randomly spraying an area with infantry is soooooo hard.

Also, if you learned this thing called "aiming" you can gun infantry down with your nosegun. Equip an AI nosegun and you reduce the amount of aiming required significantly.

From what I've read, you thought you were good but now suddenly realize that without a system that holds giant neon signs over your opponents screaming "SHOOT THIS YA DUMMY" you cant fight infantry for crap. But rather than admit that (or worse, fail to realize that thermals were the crutch you needed to succeed in the first place), you try to blame other things.

Here's a crashcourse in shooting infantry as aircraft:
    Step 1, figure out where the spawnpoints are of both attacker and defender. Defender spawns usually dont move, attacker spawns are usually in the nearest Sunderer garage.
    Step 2, Find out where the points are that people would try to reach. This gives you about 3 locations where the fight is taking place: between the spawns and the point, around the point. With PS2's setup, you can look at any base on the map and figure all of this out in seconds even if you never went to the base to begin with.
    Step 3: as you approach the first time, check each possible location starting with the closest one. You can usually check all locations and immediately empty your rocketpods in one go.
    Step 4: now that you know where they are, you can aim for their general location before infantry renders and gun them doen as soon as they start rendering.
    Step 5: learn to approach using cover and using different directions to reduce the chances of G2A actually killing you, even if G2A is massed you can operate in such regions in relative safety.
    Step 6: start printing certs with easy infabtry kills!
    • Up x 2
  8. DQCraze

All that would be great if there wasnt AA rangers on every vehicle thats on the ground ripping you apart at 400 ft, or a sky guard. I understand the need for AA but i think they went a little over the top with the flak cannons.
    • Up x 1
  9. DQCraze

AA is a little over the top, the nerfed the walker and made the ranger into a cannon that hits you at 400 ft with precision. So now as soon as one plane shows up there are 5 ranger harassers driving around.
  10. Famif

When I play AA, out of 10 enemies in the air that I actually attack, I MAY get a kill assist with 1-2 of them while the others simply fly away to a place where no one on the ground is paying attention. As air, I get slaughtered as if every single player on the ground has a lock-on including infiltrators.

Sincerely though, as a mostly grounds person, I hate it when I get into a person's vehicle and they have a damn AA gun, the WRONG gun for really killing anything, and not a single plane to shoot at when 19 tanks come over the next hill. HOWEVER, I love it most when suddenly 19 aircraft pop up and not a single person seems to notice them as 125 people of my faction turn into VR bots and stare at a tree.

When I am gunning as the lib, I get a few kills, though the pilot is often so jittery, racing over targets before I can even hit one person, meanwhile, I keep seeing the players who LIVE in a liberator just chilling over battles and never getting killed. EVER. They'll come by, wipe out an entire armor column, ducking out once more than 3 people actually start shooting them, then they'll be back 30 seconds later to kill 5 more tanks etc.

There is a lot to be desired, but none of them have anything to do with nerfs. It's all player skill now that things are super-balanced or super-nerfed. I get killed by every single aircraft weapon in <0.5 seconds unless they are more than 200 meters away and I have time to cloak and run or duck for cover.
  11. adamts01

It's just the incredibly low skill requirement to dominate with flak that bothers me. I wouldn't mind that performance on a Walker, where you have to aim, but not on a Ranger.
    • Up x 2
  12. Nikbis

I haven't played for... wow, couldn't tell. 2 years maybe ? Re-re-re-re-tried here and there. But it doesn't works anymore for me.
    1st and foremost was Hossin and the game pushing me hard into it. But that's for another (many ohters, so I've read) thread(s).

2nd. Let me add something to what OP said. My own feeling to the overall topic.
    I hate FPS. What I like are massive battlefields. PS2 actually put me into FPS, because there was others playstyles. Foot soldiers of various types, same with ground vehicles, air, and some in between.
    I learnt to hate air vehicles pretty quick as a solo player. So I built my gameplay around it, mostly.
    I hated air vehicles because they could destroy me and my team soooooooooooo easily ! However... That's what brought me into the game, daily.
    See, I can't use air vehicles, I'm just bad with them. So I looked for a solution : the MAX !
    I've spent lots of certs into it, not just anti-air but everything MAX related. On the side, I used to play Light Assault (jetpack :O ).
    I actually sticked to this game because it was UNBALANCED.
    If you ever try to balance everything in a game with that size, it doesn't makes sense anymore.
    100s of players against each others, of course you expect to be wrecked every time, unless you put up the right counter.

I noticed since the devs stated the "normalization", the less and less people IG (as, again, I tried to come back a few times the past 3 years).
    They started by removing the MAX's Charge. A damn mestake. It was usefull for a solo player, and for some strong teamplay on the ground (I faced it, never been part of such strategy, I liked it).
  13. MuggieWara

Ok got it.Two years ago you were farming infantry with a thermal optics equipped ESF.You cant do that anymore as easily so you have to actually get good at the game to get as many kills as before.This annoys you and makes you sad.
    • Up x 8
  14. HippoCryties

Hang on a second... you’re trying to say an ability which allows maxes to escape every situation when they should be dead and continue mercilessly farming infantry then run away again.. it is a viscous cycle ..... and you think removing it was a mistake? Jeez...
    • Up x 1
  15. FateJH

It was a mistake. Charge at least had an aspect of strategic application involved, back to back to the folly of overextension. What they replaced it with is a flat, uninspiring function that doesn't even provide a fraction of the measure of sustenance to the operator that it promotes or had been stolen away.
    As if they had clipped the wings off the Light Assault class and gave him a non-implant Regeneration (1 or 2) in some other slot.
  16. Prudentia

when charge was still a thing VS MAXes could atleast do something.
  17. Demigan

Dahw, DQCraze has a wee little problem if he actually has to handle some obstacles on his way.

Anyway, Rangers apparently are on the strong side but mostly on Harassers, but Skyguards are still their good old crappy self. So we run into some pilot's bias here where they'll claim all flak is instantly OP even though only one version could potentially be considered OP.

But if we want to talk real shop. The existance of a deterrent weapon in the game makes no sense. If the deterrent works, then a portion of the game is incapable of participating. If the deterrent doesn't work, then one portion of the game is free to farm what it wishes. If it partially works, as we have now, then one part of the game can't participate in some battles and absolutely dominates in others. There's no way to balance deterrents, so we should just get rid of them and introduce lethal, skill-based G2A weapons. The skill requirement could be as high as normal infantry weapons (some people are afraid that "introducing skill will mean some people can't use it" so I have to add a clause to show that introducing skill won't automatically disqualify people unless they can't even play the standard FPS gameplay you meet in just about every game), but the requirements don't need to be that high. You can also have variations of weapons, with some requiring more skill but having more payoff if successful.
    • Up x 2
  18. Prudentia

i just wished my masamune could One Burst Kill ESFs. it's hard enough to land all 4 rockets on something as small and manouverable as an ESF, but when i land them all it feels more like i slapped them on the wrist instead of hitting them with multiple Armor piercing rockets.
  19. HippoCryties

Wow.... I honestly cannot believe some of the people on this forum. I can remember back when charge was a thing that one sure fire way to escape ANY situation other than c4 fairy was to use charge . So the already durable max was now almost unkillable with this ability.
  20. HippoCryties

Oh ffs... I main vs and imo blue shifts are great... I hate nc max just cos.. range and I hate tr max cos like.... damage...
    Vanu max is IMO th best max. It’s got good range yet decent in CQC