[Suggestion] Tools for outfits to herd the masses

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lamat, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Lamat

I had an idea for ways successful outfits can help herd the masses,

First, say on a weekly basis, recognize the most successful outfits in each faction under various categories:

1) Most contribution to territory captures (this is going to be a large outfit no doubt)
    2) Most elite, an outfit of say 10-20+ members with the highest average contribution of all it's members to territory captures (this will be a bada$$ small outfit)
    ~possibly more, but probably need to limit to 2-3 categories

Now these outfits have a map tool they can place and move (maybe with a cooldown) that grants an XP bonus to ones faction fighting in that territory. This is a means, more than attack/defense requests, to help herd the masses to do what needs to be done, and this tool is awarded based on merit, or that is the intention here.

Before anyone scoffs, this is just a concept, an idea in its infancy, maybe there are better categories for recognizing the merit of the outfits who get access to the tools, please share that.

Thoughts?
    • Up x 5
  2. LordKrelas

Besides the nature of it being abused by the Outfit that zergs the most.
    It does at least provide a way to herd the masses.
    On the flip side, it does reward zerging, and allows an outfit to mark their farm spot for enhanced cert-output.
  3. Lamat

It does sort of reward zerging, so possibly you could make the reward scale with continental population, with underpop factions getting a massive bonus wile overpop gets a smaller one.

I guess PS2 has a lot of zerging anyways, so maybe if at least all the factions have more organized zergs the fights might be better at least.
    • Up x 1
  4. LordKrelas

This means the underpop is rewarded greatly for zerging smaller fights...
    Think about it.

You can be fighting at the underpop, whom then zergs, gaining rewards for overpopping the fight since on the global level they are outnumbered.

Given organized zergs are just waves, usually just spam the everything..
    It's just whom has more wins, usually the attacker except at select bases, where it stalemates or similar.
  5. Lamat

But the only way for underpop to do well is to use what they have effectively

There is just no real way to encourage fair fights at the per-base level that I can think of. I'd rather the underpop see a little success than just be crapped on all the time.
  6. LordKrelas

Consider this:
    Your engaging the underpop, they zerg.
    They get rewarded for this.
    The result is every fight is a zerg affair between underpop & their opponent(s).

They pop in to disrupt the other two's fights for enhanced profit.
    Get encouraged to zerg every fight.

They then get solid zerged at every possible turn, to the fact they are rewarded for shoving every member into singular base fights, and zerging outwards.
    VS did \ does this on Connery.
    Globally underpop, but 96+ vs 1-12, for entire hexes till they reach a counter-zerg or hard-base.

It means any fight with the underpop will be met with a Zerg \ overpop in the long run, as there is the grandest motive for them to zerg for rewards...
    Any side fighting wants to win, they then overpop to shove them into the spawn, so they don't have the ability to easily swarm them.
    It becomes a farm-fest on both sides.

Underpop globally does not need to overpop locally to win.
    This compounds their pop issue, and kills any good fights between them & any enemy.
  7. Oleker2

Underpop being crapped on in my opinion is more a matter of base design. The spawn rooms are often literal kill boxes with no cover in the nearby area and low visibility to the outside, so attackers can take positions that enemies can't shot unless getting completely out of the room. Same problem on the attacking side of bio-labs which can me hold no problem with significant underpop.

Also a worry I have about tools to herd masses is zerf-fits deploying 100+ dudes in a empty/ridiculous overpoped area and getting rewarded for it.

In my opinion before rewarding territory control we need to fix the spawn system on the game, to reduce / difficult the massive zergs going from corner to corner on the map too fast.
    On the zerg topic i'm with Cyrious Gamming on his lattice system idea that removes some lattices on the underpop faction, preventing/discouraging the overpop faction to steamroll the continent.
    • Up x 1
  8. PlanetBound

Whatever gets people out of the warpgate.
  9. Lamat

How would you herd the masses who don't join squads? You pretty much need some kind of carrot.
    • Up x 1
  10. LordKrelas

Well, not a carrot that is more used & use-able to farmers and zerg platoons to boost their bonuses.
    As that just encourages shutting down any fight that isn't already a zerg bashing a zerg.

Let alone something that brings every possible zerg regarding the lower pops, just to not be overpopped by them.
    Local Pop vs Global Pop.
    Overpop on either is a game killer, when done excessively.

Tools to promote team-work, or just coordination methods.
    Add a little spice to those tactical markers if need be.
    Since those then would get a higher priority for solo-players.
  11. Lamat

If the tool had a long cooldown, it would have to be used tactically
  12. Lamat

Another thing is that outfits would be competing with each other more for the prestige of these tools, so it can actually be incentive to make Outfits better. So maybe it wouldn't just create giant zergs, as other Outfits would try to take more of their own bases so they can get the tool.
  13. LordKrelas

This is achieved the fastest by zerging the opposition..
    The largest outfit, manages this fastest by overpopping the best, reducing the risk of failure.
    This snowballs easily.

So rather than fight, they'd just zerg to get the tool ahead of them, and then use it to farm more.
  14. Lamat

Not necessarily, if you zerg too much you would actually capture less bases overall. It would probably actually encourage outfits to go after more vulnerable bases and spread out as much as possible while still being strong enough to capture.

So the masses would be guided with a carrot while outfits compete for the glory of the other bases.

You could also reward outfits for strategic base captures that cut off connected enemy territory.
  15. LordKrelas

Stream roll through an entire lattice line to the gate.
    Follow through on the other side - there's isn't a downside to zerging.

The problem is the ease of encouraging zerging, which is already up there.

I do like the rewards for strategic captures.
    Now try using that as your requirement: That would actually cause tactical play, over zerg-the-everything for perks.
  16. Lamat

Lets say you are the Outfit with the XP boost tool, if you use it to create a giant zerg your outfit members will get less credit for the captures (watered down scoring), and then another Outfit will have the tool next week. It would be better to use it to direct a zerg of berries while your outfit does something more strategic and maintains it's prestige.

Then maybe also grant XP boost to squad members who are within X proximity to their waypoint to add more incentive to squad cohesion.
  17. LordKrelas

So it literally becomes a zerging tool, while the outfit then slams other bases during the literal zerg wave hitting else-where.

More bonuses to solely working near each other as squad-members, rather than support cooperation regardless of being in the same squad?
    If they can't work together with every action being rewarded extra...
    Then I don't think pilling more on, will help.
  18. Lamat

Funneling randoms and throwing them at bases is really the full extent of what you can do with them, they are not organized, possibly have no desire to be, the best you can hope for them is to group them up and maybe they'll learn some things.
  19. Lamat

If not this XP boost tool, what rewards can you give outfits to encourage them to be better and even compete with each other to be the best?

I don't think names on territories is enough right now.
  20. LordKrelas

Something that isn't promoting farm-fests.

As if it's that, the outfit with the most people can take the most bases.
    The outfit that gets it first, can literally use it to farm hard, or drive entire zergs to stop other outfits to allies.
    Promoting the worst fights possible, to farm hard.

There's little to give, that doesn't either promote farming, or makes the first outfit have a lead \ advantage to keeping the title.
    Just we don't need more Zergfits, or farm-the-fight-till-they-quit people.
    Grand example being, those whom do 96+ against 1-12, camp the spawns for the next several hexes, spam aircraft, and spawn-camp with a zerg, full of medics & heavies with Carapace for several hours.
    Every battle they'd hit, killing all fights with the most bull they can muster.

If that's rewarded, then every outfit nearly would be doing the cancer-plays to farm more cancer.