Any promotions or advertising?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jettblakk, Feb 1, 2017.

1. jettblakk

What, if anything, is DBG doing to grow the profile and player-base for PS2? I never see any. I wander if there is any advertising budget or employees doing marketing.

What can DBG do to bring in new players and back old players to grow this game we enjoy? I suggest:
    bringing back the recruiting program with an expansion into including when old players come back and credit existing players for their return.
    Sending emails to the addresses of registered player asking them why they left, what the would want to bring them back and some free in game items like experience boosters of a month of free membership.
    What do you suggest DBG do to bring in new players and bring back old players?

What can we as players do to bring in new players and back old players? I suggest:
    streaming more of your sessions on any internet site you like and watching more of others streams on those same sites.
    creating more video content for any site you like and watching more of others videos on those same sites.
    create game playing events with your gaming family, friends and clans to log in at the same time and get some squads/platoons together and really try to get new players and vets who have left to join in.
    What do you suggest we do to bring in new players and bring back old players?
  2. therbear

I was given a station cash card as a gift before. Wish i could return the favor and give in game gifts to others to get them to try the game.
    Could Daybreak do any cross promotions with other product or brands that share target demographics with Planetside 2?
  3. Exitus Acta Probat

Being able to sub to the game through steam would help tremendously.

Right now you can only buy daybreak cash through steam, but not a subscription
  4. Liewec123

winning the world record for most players in the same battle in an FPS was a great advertisement move,
    i haven't had a chance to look at this years Guinness World Records book, but i'm sure its in there,
    any gamer who browse through might feel curious about trying the biggest FPS game in the world :)
  5. ColonelChingles

I can't remember the last time I looked through a Guinness book... to me it's kind of like reading the Farmer's Almanac or something. :p

It would have been nice if PS2 had won any of the Winter Steam Awards. That would have given PS2 a lot of player publicity, as Steam is a huge platform for PC gamers.

Alternatively, any article on the various gaming websites (PC Gamer, for example) would also generate at least a few clicks. Maybe get them to write a reflection article about the unique experiment in MMOFPS gaming that PS2 attempted.

I have been noticing a slight uptick of PS2-related pictures on those random picture sites, which might generate a few new players. Not as good of a targeted demographic though.

I do think that "traditional" advertising might not be effective or enough. I can't think of the last web ad that I actually clicked on, and I run ad blockers on all my browsers.
    • Up x 1
  6. Liewec123

i think the best thing for them is us, players streaming and uploading youtube vids,
    players showing their friends, telling them about the game etc
  7. FieldMarshall

I know this is most likely too expensive but i think this would gain some players:
    Some sort of TV commercial showing cinematic large and epic fights trying to focus on the genre. A lot of people dont even know the MMOFPS genre exists.
    While also stressing that its free and on Steam. It may at least give exposition and make people curious/talking.
  8. Ziggurat8

They need a mountain dew bottle with planetside2 reward codes.

Bam! Just made planetside2 1 of the top 10 FPS games of 2017.

Dew it DBG!
    • Up x 1
  9. Vinson

yeah typical game devs. they dont understand that marketing moves units, players and money a lot more than patches.
  10. jettblakk

WE are most likely on our own in recruiting new players. I doubt DBG is or can do anything to promote their own products (sad).

Do you have any recruiting success stories? What has worked for you to get others to play? what are you willing to do to get others to play.
  11. Slamz

Steam takes a tremendous amount of money from the game developers. Not sure if that's true for cash payments like Daybreak bucks but I bet it is.

Can't readily find the number but I think it was 30%. So a $10 subscription would only get $7 to DBG and Steam eats the rest, every month, in return for not much.

I do think DBG needs to advertise a little, though. Planetside is frankly an amazing game. Strategically shallow, which is usually why I periodically get bored and quit, but I always eventually come back because no other game is really like it, or better at what it does.
  12. Rhello

I tried to get 5-6 people to play it, all of them never touched the game again. They all were farmed by BR 120 HE tank/A2G pouder/MLG beltegeuse heavies.

There's a non return point when it comes to have various skill levels in a game, planetside 2 crossed this point a long time ago since new players don't even stay more than a couple of hours now, they're either lost or struggle to kill anything.