Using default jump jets?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by DarkStarII, Jan 16, 2016.

1. DarkStarII

I've been using the Icarus jump jets for too long and am having trouble using the defaults, they feel so slow :( Maybe they just don't work for me.
  2. Iridar51

Matter of habit. It's true that right after playing with Icarus, Jump Jets feel incredibly slow, but that feeling fades, eventually.
    Overall, the sheer versatility of Jump Jets makes it a clear winner over Icarus.
  3. Leivve

That's the same with most things. If you play scout in TF2 for a long time, then switch to Heavy or something you feel like you're not moving at all.
  4. AxiomInsanity87

Drifters or go home for me.

I don't mind having to use momentum and terrain to get up higher for the versatility they bring

Plus floating towards someone at high speeds and spraying them down is glorious.
  5. Highonwater3

I think they're both good, but then again I haven't played in almost a year and I'm only just coming back now so my opinion probably doesn't mean much :p
  6. DarkStarII

I completely forgot about this thread, seems I forgot to watch it...
    But anyway, it's been a couple weeks now and I've gotten used to 'em. However, I still prefer using Icarus jump jets, sure the defaults are easier to use but I've found that they aren't as reliable. What I mean by that is you can't count on having enough energy when you need it as it recharges quite slowly.
    The only time I really found defaults useful was when I wanted to 'slingshot' off a jump pad.
    I guess it's just me though, I like using the Phaseshift after all...
    I used drifters exclusively until Icarus was released ;) I never really liked the defaults but since many people recommended them and I had plenty of certs available I thought I may as well max 'em out and give them another try.
  7. Iridar51

Ignore Axiom, he's on PS4.

Jump Jets basically have horizontal movement of drifters, while still having vertical movement. Not only you can do slingshots with them, you can also speed drift from roof to roof. I'm not sure if you have seen my Jump Jet Tips video:

Energy and speed are limiting factors with Jump Jets, of course. But sheer versatility wins. With them you can do anything you can do with other Jets, even if less effective or for a shorter time.
  8. AxiomInsanity87

Not only did I play the pc version, i expressed my opinion on why I prefer drifters.

This Isn't reddit mate.
  9. Iridar51

And I express my opinion that everyone should ignore you, because you don't play on PC version anymore, and speak nonsense like "drifters are versatile", when it's exact opposite.

Reddit has nothing to do with this, "mate".
  10. AxiomInsanity87

Drifters are versatile and always have been.

Maybe everyone should ignore you if you're liable to randomly be horrible for no reason.

Pc players shun me for now being a "peasant"

Ps4 players laugh at me for being sht with a controller

I've spent hundreds on both platforms so I have every right to speak, thank you.
    • Up x 1
  11. DarkStarII

People, I asked for tips about the default jump jets because they felt a bit odd from using Icarus jets for quite some time, not which is "better". Please keep this civilised ;)
  12. Iridar51

Until not long ago drifters were not even capable of gaining height at all. Now they can do so only while not moving horizontally and still very slowly.

Drifters are better than Jump Jets only in two scenarios:

1. hunting vehicles with C4, which is a secondary task of a Light Assault at best, and doesn't justify using drifters all the time

2. deep flanking by using jump pads to fly to deep into enemy territory, which is hardly useful, because risk is high, while anyone you kill there isn't doing anything useful on the frontlines

Drifters lack vertical mobility, but they have quick recharge and long air time. They do well one and only one thing: lots of horizontal movement. That is complete opposite of being versatile.

While Jump Jets have a healthy balance of both horizontal and vertical.

I have a very clear reason to be a horrible person; I hate consoles and everything that's associated with them.

People shun and insult you? Oh boo hoo. Maybe you should have thought about that before going to the dark side.

Spent hundreds of what, dollars? What does this have to do with anything? You have a right to express opinion, doesn't make it worth anything. Experience and knowledge does.

I've never seen anyone using Drifters in infantry combat (aka 95% of the Light Assault game) with success greater than Jump Jets would allow. So understand my skepticism when a console player shows up and opens with "drifters are versaile".

Maybe they work on consoles, where everyone has turning speed and awareness of a sloth, or maybe you're just full of it.

Either way, unless you can present compelling arguments and examples, my attitude towards you is completely justified.
  13. AxiomInsanity87

I didn't say they are better though and they are indeed versatile.

I stated why i prefer them, it's called an opinion.

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant. I didn't say they are better.
  14. AxiomInsanity87

And you can use momentum to get higher and use terrain.

You don't have to slowly go upwards like a "sloth".

I'm not going to argue with you over preference mate.
  15. Iridar51

Can be done with other jets as well. It's preference that costs combat effectiveness, while you pretend like it doesn't, "mate". I don't care what you use, but I have a special connection with DarkStar here, because he's one of the few people that actually wants to improve.

Not using weird **** is one of the steps on that path, and I won't allow you to mess with that.
  16. AxiomInsanity87

Mate is a sign of being nice by the way. You are being rude and sarcastic.

I am also not pretending anything, you just made that up.

You are clearly having a bad day lol.
  17. Iridar51

Uh, no, "mate" adressed to somebody you don't know is familiarity.

Drifters have very strong disadvantages and you act like they don't exist. Either you don't know that or pretending to. I assume you're not so horrible at the game to not know, so yeah, not making up anything.

Yeah, console peasants invade my beloved Light Assault subforum with their overwhelming irrelevancy. Pretty bad day that is.
  18. AxiomInsanity87

ER no, i am English.

Mate is used as a sign of being friendly as well. Could you be anymore ignorant......

All the jets have disadvantages. I am not pretending anything.

You on the other hand are pretending that default jets are the absolute best.

This is not your forum at all, deal with it.
  19. Iridar51

I made it clear that I don't want to be friendly with you. You ignore that on purpose. Intentional familiriaty. Your just as bad mannered as I am, but at least I'm honest about it.
    They are, and I've provided numerous reasons as to why. They could be better, but out of what we can choose, they are the clear winner.

I didn't mean it as "they belong to me", I meant it as "I have strong affections for them". I would expect an englishman to catch that, mat.
  20. AxiomInsanity87

I pm'ed the op but here

You can see full well what can be done with drifters.

Drifters and regular jets demand a different style of play

So it all comes down to how the op likes to play, not your bias and how you would like him/her to play.

And no i am no bad mannered. That would you being an A hole for no good reason just because you are biased. Stop talking to me if you are just looking to be either horrible or pathetic.