[Suggestion] Ability to Disable Other Players' Vanity Items

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Campagne, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Taemien

Just be glad the cosmetics and horns aren't like the stuff you actually see the military members IRL do. They're lewd, politically incorrect, and obnoxious as hell.

PS2 is light in comparison.
    • Up x 2
  2. Matt0193

Would be nice to have a cooldown on Horns, but anything else is really too detrimental to whatever income they generate through cosmetic sales. There's a line between wearing outlandish camo (Pink as it exists comes to mind, it's not anywhere close to the Africa Pink/Salmon camo used in WW2) that's obnoxious and spamming horrendous horn sounds over and over.
  3. JohnGalt36

I read this as "disable other players' Vanu items" at first. 10/10, would second.

No to the actual post, though.
  4. JudgeNu

This is nonsense.
  5. Kumaro

I don't mind if it's possible to block the cosmetics that is available for all factions which makes Friend or Foe identification difficult. Honestly it feels like the friendly fire stack is increasing thanks to these new colours which to admit i like but i would very much like if i can turn them of sometimes <-<
  6. FateJH

If the problem is "players paid money for cosmetics," wouldn't one solution be to put the item that turns off other players' cosmetics in the Depot too?
    • Up x 1
  7. Campagne

What colour are the walls of your house? The blandest possible shade of eggshell white? If not, then why? If no one else could see your colourful walls, then what would be the point of that? The paint section at the hardware store would lose funding. :p

Same thing for your whale horn. Do you sit in silence at home all hours of the day, so long as there is no one around to hear any of your music?

Point being cosmetics are for you to enjoy, not shove into others' faces. Besides, as I stated in the OP, you wouldn't even know I couldn't see or hear them.
    • Up x 2
  8. Zen_Master

Considering that dozens if not hundreds of players have spent $30 or more for bundles heavy on cosmetics (Anniversary or limited edition camos, gold and platinum reskins) I don't see how this possible.
  9. Campagne

I had thought of this myself as well, but if I had to pay for it, I'd want to be able to toggle everything if I so choose.

And then creates a sort of pay-to-win scenario, whereas I can spend money to remove other players' totally not pay-to-win camouflage.
  10. Jubikus

What does my outfit have to do with this?
  11. Azawarau

Thats an amazing outfit name
  12. CorporationUSA

idk, everyone called the Gal a skywhale, so adding a whale horn was just gold. Easily the best joke horn.
    • Up x 1
  13. ColonelChingles

It would really only make sense if you had to buy the same anti-cosmetic for each cosmetic.

Say someone spent $5.00 on the pink camo cosmetic.
    You could buy the anti-pink camo cosmetic for $6.00.
    However, that would only block the first level of pink camo cosmetic. It would not block other cosmetics, nor would it block pink camo II, which is available for $7.00.
    To block pink camo II, you need to buy anti-pink camo II for $8.00.
    And so on.

Buying a single $5.00 anti-cosmetic to switch off potentially hundreds of dollars of cosmetics seems unfair.
  14. Foxirus

That comparison fails pretty hard. For one, You can see your walls. You see them every day. Thats the reason for changing the paint color with most people. As for the horns in real life? Majority of people who change them outside of what they are is because they want others to hear it.

You can't see your own character. So you should know that people are not buying it to see themselves. I hate to say this, But its not going to happen. People will not buy cosmetics if people could just turn them off at will and never see them. Cosmetics are entirely meant to be shoved in other peoples faces. Thats the entire point in pretty much every game ever. Go out and find a game that is even slightly popular and not dead that allows players to buy cosmetics, Then allows the rest of the population to disable them if they want.
  15. Kumaro

Like every mmo RPG ever??? 0.o
  16. Stormsinger

Name one.
  17. Kumaro

Perfect world, All Aeria games, Guild wars 2, Rift, and i can go on but i would have to google a bunch of Asian MMO games cause im bad at names.
    And no they don't allow you to block "all" extra cosmetics and what else one can come up with i will admit that.
    But they allow you to block out cosmetics that are over the top and makes it hard to see if it's a friend or foe and Cosmetics that affects performance during gameplay. Heck some games even stop rendering such stuff by default during larger battles to save on performance.

In all honesty i want a block button like that For a selection of things because they are over the top, Annoying to the point of harassment and not to mention the new range of camouflage colours that makes it a lot harder to see if you are facing an enemy or not in the heat of battle.
    Although you can cause a bug by playing around with rendering and character quality that stops the game from rendering anything beyond the default during larger battles. *would be nice if that function became a thing instead*

And no i don't care if people spend money on cosmetics or not. It's not my loss of money it's theirs. Just sometimes i don't want see their ugly mistakes
    • Up x 1
  18. Stormsinger

Interesting, I play Perfect World, but the only 'disable' option i've seen was for the larger particle effect oriented toys, which you can do in PS2 as well. Some things in Swtor can be disabled as well, but only things such as the huge disco party AOE - all other actual graphics are loaded normally, albeit in a less sparkley fashion.

Large performance affecting graphics should be blockable, I can agree with that - Spamming a fireworks pistol en masse can make graphics slow to a crawl on lesser systems, but that can be turned down via particle effects / graphics sliders - you can do this in PS2 yourself - heck, you can reduce the intensity of smoke with the correct UI tweaks.

Honestly, I agree for the camouflage thing, but thats the point of camouflage - I occasionally accidentally TK members of my own faction that have intentionally dressed themselves to mimic other factions. I blame this on the developers allowing such things to happen, but now that people have bought and paid for the cosmetics, allowing them to be blocked en masse would be shooting themselves in the foot ,financially speaking. Early on, a color palette of acceptable color ranges should have been established for each faction's camo, after which it should have been strictly enforced in all cosmetics. This didn't happen, so we're stuck with what we have.

Given that the game engine is limited to a maximum number of rendered objects (towards which mines, turrets and vehicles count), and this max-number is reached long before rendering a 48v48 encounter, it doesn't take much to completely fork over the ability to see objects - this is a fault of the game engine, and given that cosmetics are merely adaptations on an already-rendered object, I'm not sure how much strain a pink texture adds over, say... dropping a mine, which i've seen cause a tank I was attempting to blow simply disappear.

Seeing as though cosmetics are what keeps the game afloat, and people that have paid money for cosmetics want them to be visible... which player do you think will be catered to - The player that has paid for the cosmetic, or the player that may or may not have paid that doesn't want to look at cosmetics?

Bear in mind that I don't entirely disagree with you, but I really don't think that Daybreak will intentionally try to piss off the only group of players that are paying for the game's existence, which is precisely what this would do.
  19. eldarfalcongravtank

if they allowed to disable any kind of cosmetic item ingame, sales would dwindle a lot. because people would be uncertain whether other users saw all their shiny stuff. that's bad for business.

human psychology works like this: i have wealth and i want to show it off with materialism. works just like this in reallife, see rich people and their luxury cars, real estate, hot women, etc. if no one was able to see their stuff, there would be no reason to buy a 1 million dollar ferrari sportscar. another more spacious car would do as well.

and that's how we humans work: take our ability away to show off, and we won't do it. it would probably be DGC's biggest mistake to add the ability to disable cosmetic items. it would be the final nail in the coffin for this game in terms of revenue stream...
  20. Campagne

Yes, hence why I said it would be a pay-to-win advantage. :p