[Suggestion] Remove or Balance Nanoweave Armor

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Daemonn789, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Daemonn789

It would be worth it to remove nanoweave armor all together.

What purpose does it serve other than to give high BR players a further advantage over newer players? It creates a performance gap in CQC that is sorely felt by low BR players or anyone without nanoweave armor. And high BR players already have the advantage with greater flexibility in roles and leveled upgrades.

This is really demonstrated by the heavies spam in most CQC battles. Its simply not worth it to play other roles as killing will net more XP easier in quick loose battles.

The disparity between a non-heavy without nanoweave and a heavy with full nanoweave is too great. It creates a scenario in which new players stand no chance in a one on one encounter leading to players quitting because it will take them months if not a year or more of playing constantly to get on the same level.

Vets and Max BR players should enjoy rewards and advantages for working hard or playing for a long time, but as it stands new player rentention is a problem and much of that is because the NPE (new player experience) isn't fun once you get past the cool scenery and epic scale battles.

Dissecting veteran character - new character dichotomy reveals a glaring problem with NPE, one that is helping the game lose population and doesn't encourage new players to stay with the game. Progression feels slow and stunted by veteran players with large advantages, that needs to be fixed while still making it worthwhile to play as a max BR character.

This also forces new players to either invest all certs into nanoweave before anything else or suffer a large disadvantage in combat... Severely damaging NPE because new players obviously would love to try new weapons or abilities instead of dumping certs into a skill just to be equal in combat.

It takes 1055 certs to get all classes to nanoweave 4 and 6055 certs to take them all to level 5. While its easy to attain 1055 certs on a new character in Koltyr, outside of that missions can be hard to complete for people over BR15 but under 30-40. Even then a new player doesn't know to invest first into nanoweave because Koltyr gives you false impressions about your ability because of low skilled or brand new players.

Right now the performance disparity between those with maxed nanoweave armor and those without is too great.
    • Up x 2
  2. FateJH

Would you believe that maximum Nanoweave only provides 20% protection to small arms fire, or 200 health when starting at full health? That's two more bullets than it would normally take for most small arms weapons. Also, it does nothing for the head.
    • Up x 6
  3. Gundem

It does stack with NMG though, which gives you a minimum effective HP of almost 2000HP.
    • Up x 1
  4. Daemonn789

And if the issue is TTK - as in all players should eventually have max nanoweave and all will be balanced that simply won't ever work if you want new players to consistently start playing this game, which obviously we all want to happen.

We should raise the base armor value to what it would be with nanoweave and remove Nanoweave Armor all together. This would make the experience much more friendly to new players while allowing veterans to have other suit slots maxed out as an advantage.
  5. FateJH

That's true, but the OP never mentioned Heavy Shields. One of his topic refinements also said "removing nanoweave armor altogether" so there was more than just Heavies implicated, regardless of the third paragraph, the sole mention of HA.
  6. Daemonn789

That is hard to believe but as the as Gundem said there are other factors and combined with Nanoweave vs no Nanoweave it creates a performance gap that is felt by new players.
  7. Daemonn789

Ironically this post started out as a "Balance Heavies" thread but then I realized nanoweave is pointless in this game. It literally only creates performance gaps and cert sinks.
  8. Scr1nRusher

Nanoweave doesn't protect against headshots.

AIM FOR THE BRAIN.
  9. Azawarau

I really think its up to the community to find new players and invite them into outfits

Theyll have a much better experience with experienced players to follow and learn for
  10. SarahM

Last time I used nanoweave was back in the day when it used to protect from headshots and it wasn't very good back then.
  11. Iridar51

I fully agree with the OP. Currently Nanoweave is a no-brainer choice for a lot of loadouts. It's basically a heavy assault of suit slots. Little reason to use anything else for most situations.

And it creates inconsistency in how many hits it takes to kill a player.

Nanoweave should be removed. I'm saying this as somebody who uses it in almost all loadouts and tells other people to do the same.

20% damage reduction translates into 25% increase of the effective health.
    Code:
    Effective health = base_health / (1 - resistance)

in case of full nano,
    resistance = 0.2

EHP = 1000 / (1 - 0.2) = 1000 / 0.8 = 1250
    Nanoweave also fully stacks with NMG / Adrenaline, for up to disgusting 2125 total effective HP against body shots.

And even when it is "just 2 more bullets", it still increases TTK of 200 damage weapons by 40%.
  12. AlterEgo

But how will I mow down countless enemies with my LMG and You Lose shield? 200 extra health SAVES me, man. I'll do terrible without it!
    • Up x 1
  13. Scr1nRusher

The PTS HA shield changes really....... are something.

More people ingame right now use Resist Shield, after these changes Resist will be the only viable shield.

NMG still has no role.

Adrenaline Shield still doesn't reward kills better & has the same slow regen rate as NMG.

The HA Shield changes were probably a long time coming, but holy crap 2/3 of them are seriously going to need some improvements to be worth using since Resist got Buffed more then "nerfed".
  14. Iridar51

Even if accept PTS as an accurate representation of the coming future, which we really shouldn't, I'd be totally okay with it.

LA too has only one viable ability out of 3, and I'm okay with that too.
    • Up x 1
  15. AlterEgo

Based on VERY short testing, NMG still has the same speed for the lower protection it will give. The speed nerf should be reduced by 50% to compensate, or somewhere along those lines.
  16. Scr1nRusher

You shouldn't be "fine".

All Abilities should be viable & useful.
  17. Scr1nRusher

NMG should have more HP then Adrenaline Shield.(something like 550).

Adrenaline shield should gain much more shields per kill & have a faster regen rate then NMG to make it more viable since it has less HP(450).
  18. customer548

New players gain 150 Certs for each BR until BR15.
    Low BR players can easily go for Nanoweave rank 4 ( 1+10+50+150 = 211 Certs). Last rank costs 1000 Certs and only brings +5% resists (from 15 to 20% resists).
    This last rank has to be unlocked only on the main class (when you start the game). I would say that wanting Nano lvl5 on each class is a mistake, a bad choice.
    • Up x 1
  19. Iridar51

In a perfect world - yeah. I don't expect perfect from PS2 devs, we - and they - are simply not at that level. Even multi billion giants like Blizzard can't manage to achieve balance among their classes, how can we expect that from a small development team of a small game?
  20. Azawarau

For engie theres utility belt. Because bombs

Shield capcitator for heavy so they can get in and out of battle better. Grenade bondalier because it makes chasing down AV and max easy

Grenade bondalier for infil to emp spam enemies. Adrenaline rush for cloakers so you cna cause more6r745r

I disagree

NMG will be the better poking head in and out shield of the two "HP" shields thanks to its faster regen

Adrenaline will be the berserker mode shield, Though i feel like its regen per kill isnt enough and it shouldnt deactivate automatically so you can take advantage of the extra health you get from kills

And resist shield will probably be the most used of the three but wont be as useful for turning around a jump. Its a premptive shield