[Suggestion] Phase Jump-Jets (Icarus-like jump jets w/ a twist)

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Lection, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Lection

Imagine that you could control the nanites your solder was made of, to deconstruct yourself, burst forward towards your enemy for a couple meters to gain a flanking position, reform and put some lead through his/her chest at the cost of your flight. You could also phase through thin "nanite" based objects such as walls in buildings and vehicles (not terrain) to surprise enemies (Please note that ending your phase in an object or enemy controlled spawn room will result in death for obvious/grief-related reasons). This could be upgrade-able to decrease the time between each phase (1 full charge= 1 phase burst).

[it'd be nice to get some feed back, and suggestions on how this could be more balanced or better used somewhere else]
    • Up x 1
  2. Eternaloptimist

I think guys disappearing and then reappearing again somewhere else is already part of the game - it is an ability called lag, or lag switching or something like that.
    • Up x 1
  3. Liewec123

from a technical standpoint i would be really hard to implement since most boxes/walls etc are hollow,
    it'd be easy to glitch inside a big box or a rock for example.
    it'd be very very buggy and require a ton of work to implement.

from a gameplay standpoint i don't think it really fits LA,
    if anything i'd give it to Infiltrators, giving up their stealth for the ability to phase around and truly "infiltrate" buildings :p

very cool idea though :D
    • Up x 2
  4. Demigan

I think something like teleporting does fit the LA, and a lot more than the infiltrator. An alternate system would be something like the UT teleport gun that replaces the Jumpjet. You place a beacon (like a mine with lights, not the adult toy with light on top/squad beacon) that can be destroyed by hostiles. When you activate your beacon (with F for instance) you need to be within 300m distance (closer if this causes loading problems) otherwise the teleport simply fails.

If necessary you could treat it somewhat like redeploy in that you get a short countdown of up to 3 seconds before you are teleported away although I would prefer an instant-teleport or just 1 second teleport time. Whether or not you can fire/hit people/be hit by people without it being canceled is an extra balancing feature that can be added as well if necessary.
    To prevent people from using the teleport gun for high-speed travel, you have a maximum amount of beacons with you at all times that recharge with every X seconds, so that you won't be able to travel constantly with them.

The applications are then very nice: Place a beacon somewhere behind cover, move behind other cover and attract attention. Hostiles move towards you and you teleport away to flank them. Just imagine firing at someone at a point, jumping behind cover and then teleporting to the other end of the building to attack them from behind.
    Alternatively it can be used as an escape mechanism, place it in a safe place to escape when you get cornered.
    It can also be used as a special entrance device, shooting it passed dangerous territory to avoid snipers or avoiding the vulnerable flight-time when moving up some buildings. The disadvantage over other jets (it shouldn't overshadow Icarus for instance) would be very long recharge time of the beacons and a very small amount of beacons. For instance just 3 beacons at a time and a 15 second recharge each. You can do 3 quick teleports then but need to use them wisely, especially if you teleported before that.
  5. JEFCCC

I like this idea a lot. Combine this with dual wielding and all light assaults can be Tracer from Overwatch