New Light Assault Assistance Requested

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by DarkStarII, Oct 28, 2015.

1. DarkStarII

So I've decided to try something new after playing infiltrator for quite some time and I chose LA. I found out that I fail, a lot as light assault. So, could anyone help me with suggestions on play style, positioning, equipment, choosing targets, etc.. All the basic things to increase my combat effectivity.
    PS I didn't think out how I wanted this written so it may be a little jumbled and not make sense...
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

3. cobaltlightning

My advice goes with the sort of 'stock' Light Assault, which is the first default loadout, albiet with some modifications

Basically, as a Light Assault, you would want to flank your enemies. Attack from above and/or behind, and you will make their day a very bad one.

If there's many (4-5 or more) enemies that you intend to flank, throw a flashbang at them before you drop them, to reduce the likelihood of immediate retaliation. Save your C4 for MAX hunting.

If you think it would help keeping enemies from noticing you, try using a suppressor on your weapons. You're gimping your damage a bit, but if you're attacking from above then you'd have an easy time landing headshots, anyway.

Let your Engineers and Heavies gather at the doorway while you try and go into the building from the other side, using your Jetpack to give a middle-finger to practically any obstacle.
  4. DarkStarII

Okay, so I've read through all of that. Now, my main question would be: how do I successfully flank? I know that sounds foolish but I just can't pull it off. Everytime I try, it just seems like someone is waiting for me and I die pretty much instantly. Maybe it's due to my equipment, but I don't know.
  5. Iridar51

It's not equipment, trust me :)

Awareness of the battlefield is probably the hardest skill to master, yet one of the most important ones, and it's somewhat unique in PS2, because you never know how many enemies there are.

I do have a flanking section in that guide, but I guess since it didn't seem to answer your question I'll rephrase the basics.

To pull of a flanking maneuver, this is what you have to do.

When you first arrive to a fight, take a good look on the map. Notice where enemies and allies are. Identify the front line, the main line of fire contact between allies and enemies. This is something that requires a lot of experience fighting at different bases and knowledge of the terrain.

You're getting killed because you try to move through the front line. Your goal is to go around the frontline. Far around.

[IMG]

If you pull off a successful flank, you will see exposed backs and sides of enemies, which you can then easily exploit. If you're getting killed on approach, it means either you try to go through the front line, or enemies trying to flank your allies see you first.

Both are fixed by moving further to the side before approaching the frontline.

As you move, always keep in mind the general direction to enemy positions, and be ready that you might meet enemies coming from there. Try to expose yourself to that direction as little as possible. If you're moving on a roof, use that roof to cover yourself from that direction.

To maintain stealth, do not use routes taken by other infantry, like roads, doors and generally stay off the ground as much as possible.
  6. Cobsy

Wow, this guide is good. Having played significantly more LA than any other class in the game since beta, I actually might have learned something from this. that being said, I dont suppose you have like a spotify playlist of the music you use in your videos? because that music is "DA BOMB" ;D
  7. Iridar51

I don't, but this is the second time I get asked this. I might just gather all the music that I've used and upload it somewhere. I always list the used music in video description, so in meantime you can look for specific tracks on your own.
  8. DarkStarII

Okeedokee, so another question I have would be where to flank? What type of terrain/base layout would be ideal? Also, my loadout is probably one of the most messed up ones out there... I mainly have the things I have for directives.
  9. Iridar51

Everywhere. That's where you want to flank. Everywhere where there is at least one enemy is a flankable situation. It's not a special thing you go to do. That's literally all you do as light assault.
  10. DarkStarII

There's got to be some places that are impossible to flank?
  11. Iridar51

Yeah. It's hard to flank on large open fields, where there's no cover to hide your approach.

And then there are bases like Subterranian Analysis, which has literally two tiny entrances that are always camped, and there's no chance for you to get inside.

Thankfully, bases like that are few.

In general, flanking friendly terrain has lots of verticality to it and pieces of cover everywhere, scattered at short intervals.

Flanking unfriendly terrain is a flat large empty field.

Thankfully, there are no flat large empty fields with something useful in it, so like I said - everywhere is flankable.
  12. DarkStarII

I see, thanks for the advice. Would it be possible for you to give any tips on using the MKV Suppressed as light assault?
  13. Iridar51

Yeah, sure.

Got some stuff in the SMG guide: http://planethead.info/weapons/smgs

I recommend checking out sections 1-2-3-4 and the NS SMGs section, which contains descriptions and tips of both NS-7 and MKV.

Read it for both NS-7 and MKV. The reasoning is that MKV is used pretty much exactly the same way you would use NS-7, since they are so similar.

As a demonstration, here's a piece of uncut gameplay with MKV, back from the time I was trying out Icarus Jets:

I have to get this out of the way, though. SMGs are weaker than carbines, so be aware that you put yourself at a disadvantage by using one. By all means, play like you like, but I do believe carbines are better.
  14. DarkStarII

Yes, carbines are by far, better. But I am so close to auraxiuming all 4 SMGs, plus doing it on LA means I am getting the directive for it done as well ;)
  15. Iridar51

Yeah, directives are the only valid reason, pretty much.

Don't expect much from Shuriken though. It's basically Armistice with extended mags, no SPA and 50% more vertical recoil. Le terrible'.
  16. DarkStarII

The only redeeming factor of most directive weapons is the they're shiny. ;)
    Besides, I got the auraxium medal on the ES SMGs accidentally. So I thought "why not get the other two" :)
    I think I should just work on my aim.
  17. DarkStarII

I tried pump-action shotguns today. Found out I cannot aim...
  18. Iridar51

Yeah, these things are pretty punishing. However, potential to kill an enemy in just one shot gives you a bit more time to properly aim that shot. Trigger discipline is needed.
  19. DarkStarII

Okay, a bit over a week later and I feel that I've significantly improved. I think it was just aiming that was my problem. Thanks for all the tips. :)
  20. SupaFlea

You can trust Iridars LA knowledge, its the class he's know for and like a lot of us been LA from Beta.
    If your used to infil, LA is gonna be a very hard class adjust if you treat it like a pure attacking class, If anything the best thing to do to start off is imply some of the Infil patience, initially choose caution of direct assault, learn the TTK of targets so you get a rough idea of how long you will take to drop a target roughly. start of as hit n run and work your way up proper LA. or in my own terms the PS Pain In the Posterior lol.

When you play a LA properly you can one of the most annoying threats to all classes and vehicles without over cheapening the kills by roof camping spawn rooms etc.

one of the main problem with PS is it doesn't really allow you try weapons in a proper combat environment. things may seem to work great in VR but it never compensates for COF boom from movement/enemy movement and being hit in return.