Review of the Gatekeeper for Prowler [video]

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by mike196840, Oct 12, 2015.

1. mike196840

Here is my review. Please tell me if you have any questions or if the video can be improved on in any way.
  2. Benton582

Now, as you can see, TR prowler works pretty well at killing infantry, in ONLY a 1-3 seconds even from a long distance. And does pretty good ESF damage. Considering from the video and kill distance, it's about 50-600m or more effectiveness, depending on gunner's ability to aim and lead targets. Compared to the NC's M96 Mjolior and VS's Apheilon, It is superior in range and literally infantry killing, except the Aphelion, armor is a unsure for me. And yet again, the staff again fails to give NC any range or benefit to even use it(not even in close range), we don't want another shotgun or short ranged weapon that has little purpose but to get killed by getting so close to other enemy vehicles. I much rather have the railgun from the START of the development. I request that you do this test and compare for all three factions.
  3. LodeTria

1.75 second reload is punishing.
    ????????????
    It's quicker than every other AT secondary.
    • Up x 2
  4. Respawn

Your intro is way waaay too long, but otherwise your review lines up with my experiences with it as well.
    The halberd used to be the the only answer the TR had for long range AV combat, and before the gatekeeper came out it was my go-to top gunner weapon.
    When the gatekeeper first came out I was a bit overwhelmed with just how efficient it was. I found myself killing this faster and at further ranges than possible with the halberd. Because of its near perfect accuracy, lack of drop, and no bloom/recoil, it was just a monster against nearly any armored target (including air as you mentioned!)
    One thing you didn't show is how nearly every prowler and harasser would exclusively use the gatekeeper for the first few weeks it came out.
    A small group of gatekeepers (especially on harassers) would squash enemy armor zergs with very little resistance. I quickly became bored of the gatekeeper just because it was too easy and effective; and I feel that's a common opinion today amongst the TR since I see less gatekeeper and the vulcan and marauder making a comeback.
    So is the gatekeeper overpowered? No
    Is it too easy? Yes
    I personally switched back to the halberd because is more challenging and rewarding.
    I can foresee the gatekeeper getting nerfed in the near future because of its 'overbalanced' qualities. My TR brothers may label me as a heretic, but as a real player I feel all weapons in the game should have a 'challenge factor' that drives players to learn to overcome their downsides and tone in on the advantages. One of my favorite things in Planetside 2 is the diversity of weapons and play styles, and when a single weapon dominates, it ends up being detrimental to the game in the long run...
    Welp, that's my take on the gatekeeper.
    Cheers!
  5. JobiWan

Personally, if I'm watching a review of a game specific weapon, I don't really want to watch more than 30 seconds of Warface, BF etc before I get to what I want to see. The intro is far too long, too loud and totally unnecessary IMO, just get to the point of the video. I imagine many will switch off before they even get to the review.

Once you get there, it's fine, audio is a bit buzzy though.
  6. mike196840

Thanks for the compliments, I will try to implement the feedback I receive.
  7. SwornJupiter

Your first major problem is that you're comparing a long ranged AV weapon (Gatekeeper) to CQC AV weapons (Aphelion/Mjolnir). Obviously, the GK performs better over range than the other two.
    Secondly, you're probably using your weapons wrong if you think that they just 'suck'...
    • Up x 1
  8. Campagne

I can't help but feel the red statements are conflicting. It was so effective you just got bored with it? And that's not OP?
    • Up x 2
  9. Respawn

You're right, I guess I understated this a little bit.
    The gatekeeper is perceived as OP due to its effectiveness at just about all ranges. More specifically, its very easy to land consistent and sustained shots on close and distant enemies. This is what I mean when I say its too easy. The VS Saron HRB share some similar qualities to the gatekeeper, however the Saron has very high bloom which prevents it from landing consistent and sustained shots on distant enemies. I for one like this as a balancing mechanic.
    Furthermore, the sheer quantity of gatekeepers on the field artificially inflated its perception as being OP. A higher-than average number of TR hopped on their MTB/Harasser to try out their new toy (versus the poorer response to the new NC and VS guns). The most infamous example are the harassers that reach high cliffs really far away. Also to add to this is how the gatekeeper projectiles will not render for some users after a long enough range, meaning that poor victim will find it much more difficult to find cover and counter this threat ; however I feel this will quickly be fixed.
    It's easy to forget that this is still situational, but it just so happens to be that this is the situation most often encountered on the battlefield. If we consider the converse situation: a 1v1 close battle on an flat open field, the gatekeeper will under perform versus the NC Enforcer and the VS Saron. Additionally its lower ROF and low alpha damage makes it particularly ineffective against infantry, and thus can be easily overwhelmed by multiple heavies/MANA AV turrets.
    So is it OP? No
    Is it too easy, annoying, difficult to counter? Yes, very much so.
    I feel the gatekeeper will be nerfed to some extend soon, but until then the VS and NC will have to adopt new tactics to counter it; most prominently minimizing their presence in long wide open areas and valleys.
  10. RedArmy

as a TR player i was wondering with the C85/65 why they gave the NC a grenade as they already had a decent splash damage ai/av weapon that are good for limited range, they really needed a longer distance weapon like the gatekeper and a railgun would have been a better idea.
    the VS weapon i understand they already had a long range they needed a noob friendly close range reapon that the TR and NC already had.
    im still upset that the TR AI Maruader does ZERO damage to vehicles -
  11. Daigons

So when is DBG going to nerf this abomination already?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  12. ChaffeeGunner

Let's look at some raw stats:
    160 RPM with no bloom.
    170 damage
    75@0.6m to 25@3m splash
    projectile velocity of 500 m/s
    30/300 magazine with a reload of 1.7s

Let's compare these stats to the only other ES AV turret, the VS' Saron:
    300 RPM with bloom
    284 damage
    200@1m to 1@2m splash
    Projectile velocity of 300 m/s
    6/180 magazine with a reload of 3s

Gatekeeper has:
    no bloom
    ~60% damage
    ~167% projectile velocity
    500% magazine size

More viable at longer ranges. able to fend off air and infantry, and cheaper as well. Tell me how this isn't OP?
    • Up x 3
  13. JojoTheSlayer

One image from a Alt that basically tells the issue with the Gate Keeper when the other factions dont have a counter.
    Both of these Harassers are 1 manned only. I am not in their group. I just spotted them when spwaning on top of a mountain on Indar. (US West server, I think)

Oh and IF you cant see what they are engaging.
    Its the AMS just above the right Harasser going for the bridge C point.
    [IMG]
  14. Cyrek

I don't think prowler needs a nerf, it requires twice the skill to aim two shots to do its full damage at far ranges, the gatekeeper compensates for this fact.
  15. Benton582

By god yes, at least someone in TR admits it, you get a pat in the pack for being a fair player. And yes, the rail gun would have been better.
    AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, no kudos. It takes actually not much skill to aim, just needs a bit of experience. And now imagine gatekeeper with the main gun. One main gun that already so damn far ranged, with locking which increased muzzle velocity and damage. ALSO, a no recoil/bloom weapon that is already OP. You lack too much to make a statement. Please include evidence. No offence.
  16. Idiocy

The Gatekeeper needs a range reduction. Cap it at 600m range, reduce velocity to 450m/s.
    Requires about as much skill to use as peeling a banana, but those 2 changes would make it alright.
  17. moriarrr-ceres

-no weapon should kill outside render range
    -weapons should be all side grades (hallebarde)
    -big magazine=long reload?
    -basilisk should be a viable weapon
    -ppa was op for the same reason, and had 5x less velocity...
    Why they can't add bloom+increase fire rate like the saron?or maybe think at a new mechanic (with skill involved and fun to use)
  18. DCTH

Some quotes from you video:
    Against tanks: "it just rips apart tanks", "they going to have a very bad bad bad bad day".
    Against ESFs: "as long as there are just two or three on your tail, you should be able to kill them pretty easily and keep them from harrassing you"
    Against infantry: "it can kill infantry [not as good as designated anti-infantry though]", "suprisingly good splash damage against infantry",

Then you call it "not OP, but the best weapon as of now for the prowler, because it is very effective against tanks, it can be very effective against aircraft, and it is very good against those guys trying to c4 you. [against] bulks of infantry, it is VERY good"

But you call it not overpowered. I wonder what by your standards would be actually OP.

So what are the downsides of the Gatekeeper?
    • Up x 2
  19. SwornJupiter

Lol nek minit "Betelgeuse OP"
  20. CorporationUSA

I don't really think it's good against an ESF pilot who knows what they are doing. Sure it punishes people who get to low and linger, but then so does the AP cannon. I kill gatekeeper harassers all the time with just the nosegun because they are a basically defenseless If I stay above them.