Has any one notisted that every gun in this game has unrealistic velocities

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by kaneozen, Sep 16, 2015.

1. kaneozen

I got to looking at the physics of the game and the more I looked at it the more I came to the conclusion that the weapons in the game or so underpowered that most of their maximum range they have are no stronger than an airsoft gun. Even some of the shotguns are no stronger than high power paintball guns. M16 fires that about 1,800mps the only gun that comes anywhere close to that is the railjack from the new conglomerate at 850mps. This means that a US marine can do more damage than any faction in planet side.....

I dont know what to say about that but i see a lot of problems in there physics on there guns.
    • Up x 2
  2. Lemposs

It is because of the shielding technology, if they were traveling at a higher speed it would simply plink of the shield and do no damage.
    • Up x 1
  3. stalkish

have you looked at tank shell velocities?
    They are horribly bad compared to reality.

Its all about balance tho, all weapons would probably be hitscan no travel time if we had actual bulletspeed, thered also probably be no drop to speak of at the ranges we engage each other in ps2.
    • Up x 2
  4. kaneozen

That's not really how physics work unless the shields physically pushing the bullets back the shields just a barrier and if a bullet would hit a flat surface it would take more energy to bounce it back. Not to mention with the vehicles the average armor piercing shell travels at like 1400 meters a second the shield only works so well especially since they seem to outline the players body instead of a dome around them. Which means that unless you have incredible curvature in your body, if hits you square in the chest it's going to take probably more energy to stop it and destroy the shild or just going to pierce through
  5. Lemposs

No, no, no. You don't understand, this is future stuff, physics does not apply.
    • Up x 3
  6. kaneozen

You know that the only gun in that game that we don't have a real version of is the laser guns right. And if you wanted to get technical with that for a rail gun to be lethal it travels at about 3000 meters a second. So then why is the railjack which is technically still a railgun weaker than an average sniper rifle of today
  7. Lemposs

As I said, because it wouldn't penetrate the shield. They only made a railgun, because the rule of cool trumps all and does more damage.
    • Up x 2
  8. Alan Kalane

So basically like in Dune? I like it. We should also give the VS laser guns(lasguns) if you know what I mean...

The mechanical reason behind it is of course the fact that the average engagement distance in PS2 is also much shorter than in real life. Modern assault rifles can engage targets from almost a kilometer away, Sniper rifles from over 2 kilometers. However in PS2 the average engagement distance is limited by the render range (about 400m for infantry) so in order for the muzzle velocity to have any noticeable effect on combat it had to be toned down.
    • Up x 1
  9. kaneozen

The whole reason why I'm bringing this up because it seems like some of the guns at long distances are only as strong as like a paintball gun, and if that's the case when that mean that the guys in planetside are pansies
  10. Lemposs

Have you been hit by any of the Planetside guns at long range?
    • Up x 1
  11. kaneozen

No but if a bullet is only traveling at 600 feet per second that's only as strong as my airsoft gun and unless the shells they're firing you're made of depleted uranium they're not holding that speed for very long and they're dropping off pretty quick. I found that many of the guns are dropping below 200 meters per second at med-long range.
  12. Lemposs

Dude they are filled with highly dense neutrino clusters, they weight kilos per bullet.
    • Up x 1
  13. Isokon

What if the Railjack projectile has several times the mass of your M16 round?
  14. kaneozen

K so then you should be traveling farther. A heavyer bullet normally means that they hold the speed longer but are also travel further. Also if the wight of the bullets are that much how can TR conventinal bullets travel so far
  15. ZDarkShadowsZ

I get that for some people certain things like sounds, visuals and certain mechanics bother people in PlanetSide 2, but as I've highlighted in your title above, it's a game, therefore it's going to be unrealistic. To some degree all fictional things are going to lack a certain depth of realism. Sure the game does have unrealistic bullet velocities, but to be fair, bringing people back from the dead with a green beam isn't very realistic either.
  16. Lemposs

There is far denser atmosphere on on Auraxium, so the bullets naturally fall off quite fast on the speed, because of higher air resistence. As well the bullets are magnetized and Auraxium is a highly magnetic planet, so that explains the drop.
    • Up x 1
  17. kaneozen

If that's the case then wouldn't you need to have higher velocities to compensate for it
  18. Lemposs

No because then it wouldn't be capable of penetrating the shields, gosh I have already explained that!
    • Up x 1
  19. Goretzu

Balance & Fun >>> Physics (in a game anyway).

To illustrate this think of space battles in Star Wars (the films or the games), if they followed real physics they'd be nothing like as good/fun. In films there's basically "Hollywood Physics" (where things look good rather than act correctly), and in games there usually has to be something similar.
  20. ColonelChingles

Seriously...

Prowler 120mm AP- 250m/s
    M829A3 120mm AP- 1.555m/s

T1 Cycler- 580m/s
    SS109 5.56mm- 940m/s

So while infantry small arms have received a 38% velocity reduction over what they should be, tanks have gotten an 84% velocity reduction!

Most people don't realize that tank shells travel extremely quickly, faster than any sniper rifle cartridge. They aren't silly cannon where you can follow the shell with your finger... they are guns capable of engaging targets 4-8km out.

In other words if infantry were nerfed as badly as tanks, the Cycler would be shooting bullets that only traveled 150m/s (only a quarter of their current velocity).

To keep the game fair, tanks shells should be buffed to at least 965m/s, which represents the same 38% velocity reduction that small arms get. Or small arms need to have their velocities nerfed even further to match the treatment that tank shells got.

Sure the game might have "range compression", but tanks and infantry should both be experiencing the same compression factor!