[Suggestion] Make units in smoke unspotable

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by SirCreedence, Sep 12, 2015.

1. SirCreedence

At the moment smoke does a decent job but what has been killing it for me is that I can get spotted inside smoke by someone spamming Q, I feel that in order for smoke to be viable you should not be able to be spotted while inside smoke. Ofcourse if you are spotted outside the smoke and then run inside it you should remain spotted.
    • Up x 3
  2. Teh sweggod

What if you have a night vision scope?
  3. SirCreedence

I thought about that too, but I think they still shouldn't be able to spot as it'd give the people who haven't got NV/IR scopes the spot too + those who have IRNV will be able to shoot accurately anyway.
  4. ModsFreeAreForTV

Pro Tip: You can turn off smoke in your .ini settings file.
  5. Iridar51

Along with every other particle, including tracers and muzzle flashes. Smoke is so rarely used that it seems pointless to me.
  6. Armcross

That seem cheating.

They can Q-spot you true walls too.
  7. ModsFreeAreForTV

Hey I mean, I just wanted them to know that they don't have to see that crap. It's funny seeing them throw a smoke then get mowed down after realizing everyone can see through it anyway.
    • Up x 1
  8. ModsFreeAreForTV

It's not cheating. Editing a config file that the devs made, with a configuration command the devs made, is only editing options, not cheating.
  9. SirCreedence

Well it's definitely unfair I'd think it's akin to wall-hacking tbh, just with the walls being smoke. They should definitley get smoke out of the INI.
  10. ModsFreeAreForTV

Just don't use smoke. It's ****** anyway cause the only times you want to use it are in Zergs which will just blitz rush you away from the smoke.
  11. Jac70

I was unaware you could turn off smoke in the .ini and I am talking about the smoke from a smoke grenade. Not dust of particles etc. If you can then I do think that is exploiting.

As for the OPs idea I think it is a good one. I think the difficulty comes from the calculations the game would have to do to determine whether or not each players view of an enemy player is being blocked by the smoke or not. Or they could use a simpler model where the smoke grenade had an area of effect and anyone in the smoke just had their spot reset and couldn't be spotted whilst in the area of effect.
  12. ModsFreeAreForTV

Yes, you can completely 100 percent turn off smoke in the ini files. It's not exploiting cause the devs, for whatever reason, knowingly allowed this.
  13. Iridar51

Well actually they said it was an unintentional slip-up on their part, and that is indeed an exploit. I wouldn't expect anyone to get banned because of this, but they want to fix it eventually. I'm surprised they didn't fix it yet. My guess it has something to do with staff turnover.
  14. ModsFreeAreForTV

Well if that's really the case, enjoy it will it lasts.
  15. Iridar51

Like I said, why **** yourself to bypass an ability nobody even uses, and that's pretty crap even without said exploit.
  16. Armcross

I actually use it as a medic.
  17. ModsFreeAreForTV

Cause in a game with a possibility of having 6000 active players in one area you should take advantage of every exploitable option you can?
  18. Iridar51

It would do more harm than good. Without tracers and muzzle flashes you'll have a hard time detecting enemies by their shots. And smoke barely does anything anyway. It's not like it's some sort of advantage for enemies. And there are no 6000 active players in one area..
  19. Iridar51

One in a hundred. My point stands.
  20. Jac70

In that case it is most certainly an exploit. What if the devs had left a setting in the .ini that made cloak always the most visible state. Would anyone think it was completely fine to use it because 'well it's in the .ini' - needs to be fixed up.