Why is there no customization feaures for free players

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by wetto, Aug 23, 2015.

1. CorporationUSA

There aren't enough facepalm memes on the internet to properly reply to this.
    • Up x 4
  2. NinjaKirby

Hey there, I'm just quoting your post because I saw a lot of other people do it, and it appears to be the "in thing" to do.

Wishing you all the best, Campagne.
  3. Plastikfrosch

On pts you are able to get all the directive weapons for only 1 cert and because of all the certs to start with they are for free. perfect place for OP.
  4. TheFlamingLemon

If you don't pay, you don't get cosmetics. It doesn't effect the balance of the game and is a perfectly acceptable free-to-play model that I think isn't used enough. I am a free player and I find that the devs were more than generous in letting the players get cosmetics through directives.
  5. TheFlamingLemon

Wait, can I get more information on earning this helmet?
  6. ColonelChingles

Sometimes when there is a new feature that the Devs want to implement, they need help to test it out to make sure it works. They normally have the Planetside Test Server (PTS), but there are very few people on it. So to encourage more people to help out, they will make an announcement like this.

You simply log onto the PTS, satisfy the criteria that the Devs want (usually it's to play with some aspect of the game for a certain period), and the Analyst helmet is yours!

So far there have been two opportunities. It doesn't happen that frequently, but when it does the Forums will probably be abuzz with news.
  7. Pelojian

It's called the analyst helmet, every once and a while one of the rednames posts a thread in one of the announcement sections that they need help testing something specific on test server and that if you meet the criteria they will grant you the helmet.

Guide how to setup the test server client.
    • Up x 1
  8. FieldMarshall

You get free cosmetic armors for all the classes,
    Free lumifiber for the vehicles
    Free helmet from directives.
    Free helmet for participating in PTS events.
    You can buy the nohelmet for certs.
    Free black camo if you buy the seasonal stuff for certs.
    Free white camo from directives
    Free cosmetic variants of the Decimator, Default knife, C4.
    Free seasonal hat for completing the Christmas directive when it comes out.
    Free banner for the same Christmas directive.
    Free Decals for leveling up
    Free cosmetic titles from leveling up.
    Free decals for promo-codes. They may still work. You can find them here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219506859
  9. Raysen

I was actually disappointed the game didn't offer any free customization. And no, you should quit saying "you can get it with directives" because that is ********. It's meant to be a long, hard earned reward, so definitely not the kind of stuff we are talking about.

What surprises me is simply that the game doesn't offer any free unlockables with levelling up. Lets say a special solid color skin for BR 50, or a Secondary helmed for BR 100... With all the customization which will still sell for sure, why not letting at least a free basic choice of colors for the weapons for example?

Really, apart for the first 15 levels giving certs, what does it earn to grind up to max rank? Apart from the rank decals which seriusly noone even bothers about.
  10. Campagne

And apparently there aren't legitimate responses either. :eek:
  11. Campagne

Yep! All the cool kids are doing it! :p

Thanks for your sympathy. ;)
  12. Eternaloptimist

You can only expect to get so much for free. If you subscribe you get station cash every month (I get 500DBC) or you can buy DBC for real money to the amount you want. So you can customise as a 'free' player insomuch as it is free to play the game, but not to dress up your character.
  13. Crator

Ok, but what's wrong with how it is currently then? You have the option to pay once for an inventory slot or cosmetic item with the free-to-play model. You'd have to pay every single month for a subscription fee without free-to-play model.
  14. Astealoth

If you like and play the game enough to care deeply about cosmetics you should probably buy some. It's how they pay the server costs. Without paid cosmetics there is no game.
    • Up x 2
  15. Dgross

And if you look through this window folks, you can observe the all too common species of Cheapatis Stingyieous Lazifeus Bummus in it's natural habitat, the PS2 Forums National Refuge.

Normally they feed on a steady diet of hyperbole, bandwagonbiscuits, ignoramousalad, and cheese.
    Due to the nature of their extremely tiny brains, any form of communication with them is rudimentary and non-cognitive.

Quiet frequently they forget their surroundings and have to be reminded to eat the free food that is provided for them, at no cost to the animals.
    Luckily the Refuge does have benefactors that make donations so exhibits like this one can remain open...
    • Up x 5
  16. johnway

if its any consolation prize, you could go to the VR room and dress up there. I do. Its also taught me some very important lesson that none of the cosmetics actually make a damn difference. Hell, back when i got myself some FREE SC (i think it still works), i bought some composite armor and it did nothing for my skill.

To be fair some cameos will make a difference but not enough for me to care. The only thing i would detest would be black. But since the nights in PS2 aren't that dark and they;re still visible, it makes little difference. But i suppose being beaten by a decked out lvl100 with all the fancy stuff suggests the person is a die hard player or something so it takes the sting out of the kill.

If a lvl 1 kept killing the same lvl 100 fairly, i;m sure they'll start complaining and being hackusations. That would be delicious.
  17. \m/SLAYER\m/

there was FREE stuff: free ES camo, Christmas directive reward, golden snowman, Daybreak decal.
  18. CorporationUSA

I save those for more deserving posts, not entitled whining.
    • Up x 1
  19. H4YW1R3

• Up x 1
  20. Terranaxiom

Yeah totally, op.

I mean seriously, the game runs on magic and free will. We shouldn't have to pay, we all know that dbg devs get paid in good feelings and the company profits exclusively by good will.

Gross profit was 5 unicorns, a rainbow and some stardust so far this year, and thats big money.
    • Up x 4