[Suggestion] The rangefinder implant should be rolled into advanced targeting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by libbmaster, Jun 19, 2015.

1. libbmaster

I believe that the rangefinder implant should have it's functionality rolled into the advanced targeting implant (the implant that is available to all players by default).

I've got three reasons why:

1. It would improve the new player experience.

The ability to see what range you are engaging at would be extremely useful to new players.

It would provide some very important context for the damage charts in the weapon selection screen, which would help new players make more informed choices when making their first weapon purchases.

It would also help new players better dictate their engagement range, as it would be easier for them to determine if their target was within their effective range or not.

2. The rangefinder implant is not easily accessible, and is not useful on it's own.

Ask yourself the following questions:

When was the last time you got a rangefinder implant?

When was the last time you equipped a rangefinder implant over another implant?

I bet you five smedbux that your answer to at least one of these questions is "never". When compared to the other implants available to the player, including advanced targeting, an implant that provides only a rangefinder is likely to go unused... and that's if you can get your hands on one in the first place, given the low drop rates for implants.

The functionally would mesh very well with the features already provided by advanced targeting, and the combining of the two implants would make sure that the rangefinder would not go unused.

3. It's a throwback, and a good one at that.

In the original planetside, every single player had access to a rangefinder all the time, even if they did not have advanced targeting equipped. The rangefinder even turned green when your weapon was within range. It was very cool.

What I am trying to say is that this was a feature from the original planetside that would be very good to reintroduce.

And the best way to do that would be to roll the rangefinder implant's functionally into the advanced targeting implant.
    • Up x 10
  2. Iridar51

Couldn't have said it better myself. Support this wholeheartedly.
    • Up x 2
  3. Dgross

Supported.
    • Up x 1
  4. libbmaster

Ty, ty.

Tweeted this to Radarx and dropped it on reddit. Lets see if we can get something going.
  5. TheDarSin

Here's a 4th and is a bonus to DBG. It would increase implant use and implant energy which in turn would increase the possible sale of chargers and or implants. You have to get new players into implants early and capitalise on that use instead of having players just stumbling on what implants are or hearing about it from fellow players.
    • Up x 1
  6. TheKhopesh

I too feel the range finder is essentially useless outside VR testing purposes and that it should be combined with the standard implant.
    • Up x 1
  7. libbmaster

Heh... that's the only reason I knew it existed!
  8. FBVanu

Bump
    • Up x 1
  9. St0mpy

You owe me 5 smedbux.
    • Up x 1
  10. libbmaster

...Oh?

Well darn. I knew I would find the one person who uses those implants when I posted that! :D
  11. St0mpy

Indeed, and im not gonna just say general stuff like put it on a pilot, I found a genuinely useful infantry battle task for the rangefinder, infact it helped me gain two of my auraxium medals (ofc I could have got them anyway but it helped significantly).
  12. SamReye

I see no reason not to combine them.