Ultimate Vehicle Thread- "Vehicles kind of suck to play; We should change that" [+Base Overhaul]

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MrNature72, Jun 26, 2014.

1. MrNature72

I entirely agree.

This is one of my favorites (if not the favorite) thread of mine that I've ever made, so I really enjoy posts like this.
  2. RealtimerBob

Bump for great justice!
    I accidentally came across this thread from someone's signature,
    And I have to say I love the ideas!
    As a developer myself, though, I must also say that unfortunately, much of what you suggest here may take a lot of effort and dev time, especially with an unstable, hard to refactor framework geared more towards mathematical efficiency than extensibility and ease of code - which is the impression I get from the game engine, both server and client side. Also, tweaking map design is an especially daunting task without an extremely easy-to-use design toolkit (compare, for example, Source engine MAP designer (complicated, hard to use) versus, for example, Transport Tycoon, where creating maps is easy and doesn't take much time, even changing things on-the-fly.
    These points and a few more I'm not going to type up on a mobile phone greatly reduce the odds of such a revamp happening in any reasonable timeframe...
    But if it was in my power, I would love to try and help implement these things even myself, which is to say - I LOVE the suggestions, and I'm bumping so that maybe a dev would think the same and not give up the second he opens up his IDE, and actually try to implement it - totally worth the inevitable bugfest and subsequent bugfix rage, imho.

Go Nature!
  3. MrNature72

+10 points to you, my friend!
  4. Jake the Dog

Theres alot wrong with the tank balance of the thread, however the parts about giving tanks something to do is good. You have to use the tanks alot and see how the tankplay works to get a real feel for it.
  5. Schizomatic

I clicked on this thread thinking, "I bet I'm going to leave a snarky response at the end of this." and I got to the point where OP sarcastically demeaned the Canister by saying it was 'good and fun', and being sarcastic, he meant the total opposite, which is 'bad and boring'. At this point I quit reading, scrolled down, and left this snarky response.

It's a goddamned giant, vehicle-mounted shotgun that deploys death well past 50m. The hell is wrong with you not liking it? You're the type to hate dogs, aren't you? Damn this community and the loud mouths that taint it to Hell and back again.
  6. CursoryRaptor

I would be nice to be able to do more with my Prowler than just play lockdown whack-a-mole from render range.
  7. MrNature72

Oh, trust me, I know the balance isn't perfect. There's no way I could get it perfect just with number crunching, you know? I'd need the test server, at least a couple dozen players testing it daily, blah blah blah, you know the drill. I'm glad you see that, though! It's mainly more of the basis of what I'd like to see done to the tanks.

Vanguard = The monstrous, ironclad, slow-and-steady tank
    Prowler = The long-ranged, area-of-effect, bullet-showering bruiser
    Magrider = The fast, nimble, flexible speedster

But I totally agree. If one thing got in, it should be giving tanks something to do.

See above.

Even changing the tank types gives you more to do. It becomes less about just slamming that wall of Vanguards coming for you, and more about duck-and-weaving your way to higher ground, trying to not let the Vanguards get close enough. It changes the PvP dynamic.
  8. Jake the Dog

Honestly however the tanks are balanced against each other that is in their own unique ways. What might really need to happen is to remove/lower esf nose gun damage against tanks.
  9. Jäger_01

Bump. This is what we need.
    • Up x 1