[Suggestion] Nerf the Vanguard

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Weterman, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weterman

The vanguard is op with the invincibility shield. A vanguard will be able to kill a single lightning before his shield turns off. He will be able to damage a magrider before his shield turns off, then take a bit of damage while finishing him off, because of his higher armour and firepower. I think the shield should either be removed all together, or the vanguard gets a serious nerf.

Perhaps the vanguard will takes 5 seconds to deploy the shield after the button is pressed, and in those 5 seconds, the damage taken to him is equal to the damage taken in the rear on all sides.

Or, he takes less damage while the shield is deployed, but is not invincible. If we go this path though, his armour should be reduced, as he would still be over powered.

And lock ons need a nerf too. I think they should not be 100% accurate. If the target is far away, they have a chance of loosing the lockon and flying randomly into the ground.
  2. ronjahn

This old chestnut. Your suggestions show that you are either a bad troll or have absolutely no understanding of this game.
    • Up x 19
  3. Goldmonk

Comparing a MBT to a smaller scout tank is not going to win your argument. I can do the same thing in my Prowler and a Magrider.
    5 seconds is way too long. Any good tanker worth anything will shred the Vanguard apart. An HA with a RL and even C4 fairies will be able to severely damage the tank, even destroy it, before it's shield is even up.

This already happens. If your target goes behind a rock or a building, the rocket will fly straight into the structure. They nerfed lock-ons a while ago anyway. We don't need another one.
    • Up x 1
  4. HadesR

They aren't
    • Up x 5
  5. Crowne

A single lightning is rather meant to be weak against a main battle tank though, isn't it? What gun/ammo is the lightning running? AP? Does the lightning have the armored side taking the damage?
    Much like the argument people make defending their HA shield, the lightning isn't really meant to take a slug fest with a MBT but... all things done properly, it maybe should be able to at least put a small dent in a tank.

I don't really play tanks or lightnings much at all to be honest. Can't say I have anything to lose here but... 5 seconds honesly sounds like an eternity. I mean, count it out in your mind, and imagine just how much can be done within 5 seconds in this game.
    Damage equal to rear damage on all sides during this delay would likely mean the shield never has a chance to engage.
    It would be hypocritical of me to rail against a delay in this shield given my arguments regarding HA shields... but then I've never tried to render the HA shield completely useless either.

Removing the shield entirely sounds excessive as I think it is meant to be that tank's special ability? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Lock-ons definitely have a specific range as is. If the target is far away, it can't lock on to begin with. Perhaps what you mean is that range is too long? I think that's a different question than making them randomly inaccurate.

Also, lock-ons don't have any type of collision avoidance on its way to target, and generally doesn't fire vertically to avoid landscape, buildings, friendlies, etc. To a certain extent, I think it's up to the vehicles to have shelter in reach as it doesn't take much. There is ample, audible and visual warning of a lock-on in progress. There are counter-measures available.

Not inherently against changes made to vanguards if they're warranted, I just think these particular suggestions sound a bit excessive.
    • Up x 1
  6. AshHill07

I stopped reading ... that line alone proves you haven't got a clue what you're talking about ...
    • Up x 4
  7. Liewec123

vanguard used shield? drive your lightning behind cover for a few seconds,
    tadaa! as if by magic you totally negated his "super OP shieldzorz".
    what sorcery is this!? :eek:
    • Up x 5
  8. Hegeteus

:rolleyes:
    • Up x 4
  9. DashRendar

How about we just revamp Magburner instead. Change it to the Mag-Pulse, where when pressing the F key, it sends a magnetic interference pulse around the Magrider in a 150m radius, altering all vehicles armor values down to -50%, and HP to 1. To capitalize on this effect, maingun reload times will be reduced by 400% and velocity increased by 800%. This effect will last for 30 seconds, and the ability will be limited by a 5 second cooldown, so you know it's balanced. I'm sure this would appeal to you OP, yay faction traits.
    • Up x 1
  10. FBVanu

This thread is a joke, right?
    • Up x 4
  11. 00000000000000000000

Stop fighting vanguards head on?

Are brick walls OP as well because you can't break them down with your face?
    • Up x 5
  12. SpartanZero

I nearly shot milk out of my nose in laughter
    • Up x 3
  13. Mythologicus

I don't even know what the hell I'm reading.

10/10
    • Up x 4
  14. Scr1nRusher

This is forumside.
  15. DashRendar

Welcome to Forumside, where the weakest thing needs to be nerfed, and the global performance stats don't matter.
    • Up x 2
  16. CursoryRaptor

• Up x 1
  17. prodo123

It's not an invincibility shield. It soaks up 2000 damage, which is 2 main cannon shots from any tank. If anything, it needs a buff because it depletes way too fast.

Magriders can STRAFE. They don't need the shield because THEY CAN DODGE. If anything THAT needs a nerf, perhaps with a slight armor decrease. It's too damn hard to hit a Magrider at low health because it insta-boosts away from sight and you can't get the last round on him, especially with the Vanguard with its slow RoF.

There is a reason why I choose my Lightning over a Vanguard in 95% of cases. It's not a freaking turtle, it's cheaper, and can actually dodge shots when driven right.

Go play the game, kid. Learn to lose lock-ons by using the terrain.[/quote]
  18. Scr1nRusher

Its where the Chaos Gods from WH40k come for a vacation, and to talk about balance.
  19. Mythologicus

Where Sheogorath is the patron deity.

And the whole damn place is a living shrine.
    • Up x 3
  20. Scr1nRusher

Nerfs for the Nerf God?
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.