Skill gap between factions

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hotbread, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Hotbread

Has anyone noticed that there is a gap in experience between factions? Whenever I fight the vanu I seem to kill/see far more BR 100s than when I fight NC. In fact when I fight the NC it's very rare to see a BR 100.
    I've also noticed that VS players are way harder to fight than NC players. I used to think it was just because their weapons were OP, but then I played NC and saw how terrible most of my conrads really were, especially with organization.
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    • Up x 1
  2. Donaldson Jones

I think people like VS because they have what amounts to a solid, reliable LMG and because Magriders are fun. I think people get wrapped around the axle with all this "skill/easiness/purple pajamas" thing and discount fun as a factor in gameplay decisions. I believe some of the bigger more cross platform gaming guilds associations went VS off the bat. I've been in Bellum Aeternus since 2003, where-ever they go, I go.
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

The VS are known for having the longest player retention in general for whatever reason you prescribe. Also, their Outfit play seems to lack concepts such as "escalation of force" or "appropriate force" or "making a fight fun."

Connery NC are--a special kind of fun.
    • Up x 2
  4. Pokebreaker

Many new players start out on NC for one reason or another (advertising, intro image, etc). They see that most of their teammates suck (because they are new as well, among other technical reason), then they jump ship to VS or TR with their experiences. Any experience learned in PS2 gives a great advantage over a completely new player. NC player turnover is just too high.

Most players who start out on NC, will not stay. They will bandwagon to whichever faction appears to beat them most often. While from an entertainment perspective, I understand (players enjoy winning over losing, hands down); from a faction perspective, I despise.

All in all, NC seems to have the best recruitment of new players (which is sadly a detriment), but the worst player retention (due to many factors).

Just my opinion though. I've only mained NC since I first started playing.
    • Up x 2
  5. Liewec123

this^^^^

so very very true on Cobalt, there is a certain VS outfit that you can always count on to ruin the fun by Tidal-Waving over every base during alerts.
    we have a few decent sized outfits on NC and TR, but that VS zergfest of an outfit just smothers the fun.
    • Up x 2
  6. Ballto21

From what ive seen of various gameplay, the vs have a couple overpowered weapons or mechanics, such as the LPPA and debateably magriders hover, depending on the drivers skill. In reality its no more than the other factions overpowered gear, such as the trs vulcan on the harasser, which is mostly caused by it being on a harasser, and debatably the prowlers DPS, again depending on the skill of the driver, while the NC have the canister, which has the effective range of a marauder (or if RNGesus loves you, greater) as well as OHK potential, and debateably vanny shield, again reliant on driver skill.

However for many reasons, many players feel the VS are overpowered for whatever reason, be it bulletdrop or some 0.75 weapons, and more players will switch factions to VS and many will stay for whatever reason. This perceived overpowered-ness of the VS is something that attracts players, because who doesnt want to win more often than lose, and with hearing all this crap about an orion or whatever jumping ship seems a good option.

There is also significantly more teamwork that isnt just maximum overzerg or screaming about whatever in orders (loking at you AOD and Wisdomcube) from what ive seen on emerald, and from what ive heard from other servers its similar. For whatever reason there is more communication and intelligence in what VS squads and outfits do, even pubby squads can be decent in their communication and coordination, and with many smaller outfits (Goku, DAPP, will) working on their own things defending different bases with entire platoons instead of just one outfit zerging two or three different bases while leaving the rest of their front unattended causes more territory to be lost.

In short, because of the TR having giant zergfits on emerald at least, and the VS have many smaller outfits working together and at different bases in their own platoons, the VS are generally more effective in capping, and the NC just have poor communications, bad orders, and a lot of newer players.

Just my theory on the matter
    • Up x 1
  7. TheMish

To be good in TR, you have to be ridiculously talented, or played for a long time.

NC is meh, fair.

To fail in VS, you have to have brain damage. There's just no way, it's so easy it's ridiculous.

You have to have had a fricken stroke and little movement in your hands to be bad with VS.

We all know.

VS loyalist scum keep trying to say everyone else is wrong, but we all know.
    • Up x 1
  8. MuggieWara

I think the "Vany OP" logic which is flawed imo,has contributed to this.
    • Up x 1
  9. Hotbread

They at least USED to be OP. I would say we're closer to balance than ever. But since most of the BR100s are on VS now we can't make a good judgement on the weapons.
    • Up x 2
  10. wrenched

Last time I checked the stats, VS had something like +3.5% level 100 players (combined servers).

So it's not that much.

How they manage to dominate every server (apart from Briggs) is not due to the number or level of VS players. It may be due to organisation (hard to find data showing they are better organised than other factions) or maybe their weapons allow for easier application of damage (VS LMG players enjoy a +37% K/D ratio over NC).
    • Up x 1
  11. TheKhopesh

Yeah, VS on Connery seem to stick with vehicle zergs and HA/Max to the point where this is about 70-80% of their total population force.
    This, combined with the fact that NC tend to stick with whatever task they're working on instead of switching to HA to fight said 70-ish percent enemy heavy population to counter the cheese, all coalesces into to the simple fact that 1 HA is worth 3 non-HA/max infantry players if you have enough HA's in your overall forces.
  12. Jrgsubzero

Do I want to play as generic military faction #1, #2 or the awesome sci-fi laser spewing faction? Why people choose to play the least sci-fi factions in a sci-fi game boogles my mind.
    • Up x 1
  13. IberianHusky

You must be clueless. DaPP is a 2000 member zergfit, and WILL is a wannabe farmfit. (A really, really bad one at that.) Not exactly paragons of organization. As for TR, AOD is pretty much the only zergfit. 382 is dying and RAUG is basically dead. Contrary to popular belief, the TR is more than just AOD. We have plenty of medium sized outfits that coordinate.
  14. Mythologicus

I've actually found that this is the TR's focus on Connery.

Can't cap the point? MAX crash. Can't cap the spawn room? MAX crash. Can't find the Stalker? MAX crash. Can't kill the Sundie? MAX crash.

Can't cap the friendly warpgate? MAX CRASH!
  15. MuggieWara

I think that the whole Vanu " thing" is just a case of noob friendly weapons.At least infantry-wise.

Not to say that this is not important but its definately not OP.

Having gotten used to our equipment i mow them down just as easy and im sure thats the case with the NC too.

But for sure,for whatever reasons,on Cobalt where i play there some Vanu outfits that win the alert and thats ok.
  16. novicez

Reasons why NC and TR have bad retention rates:

NC: Go assemble a squad. Buy the "Command Chat" ability. Read Command Chats for a while. You'll see what I mean

TR: Is there any unified leadership existing on TR? For the most part it's just vets doing farm runs or what not.

I've played VS for the longest and now I'm a 5th-factioner.... soooo yea. Praise NS! Buff the Valkyrie!
  17. Onhil

Why do I have a feeling this actually happend once?
  18. MuggieWara

The very definition of generic...
  19. Ianneman

Well it pretty much goes like this

VS: Easiest to play in general, people tend to stick around longer, not be as frustrated
    NC: Hardest to play in general, BUT, once mastered is easily the strongest faction. Not as many BR100s, but those that are are usually ******* stunningly good and dangerous
    TR: Have to suffer from VS zergs and easymode, or getting ****** in the *** by NC pros while hoping to be able to get some kills on less experienced players
    • Up x 1
  20. AmitGr

I
    Wonder what faction you play...
    /sarcasm
    • Up x 1