[Video] I fight for Vanu 2: Solstice Tribute

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Iridar51, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Iridar51

It's weird. Previously I hated Solstice. I thought it was weak and ugly.
    But Eclipse recently got some interesting buffs, and I decided it's a goal worth pursuing now. That, and I got tired of playing with SMGs on my TR main anyway.

So when I was going to play my VS toon I was looking forward to playing with real weapons once again (aka carbines). I knew I'd do good with Solstice. From its stats I knew what to expect from Solstice in terms of performance. Barely any recoil, blazing fast reload. It's not without downsides - low DPM punishes misses and low DPS can be a setback in CQC.

What I did not expect is that I'd fall in love with this weapon right away. Something about just *clicked* for me, and suddenly I'm infatuated with everything about it. I like how it looks, how it sounds, how it feels.

It's a good weapon, but it's not without downsides. And for some reason it makes my feelings even stronger, more real. I love Solstice and I'm looking forward to playing with it more.

The song in second half of the video is a bit special for me, as it's performed by a band that originates in my city. I wish I had instrumental version, as singing detracts a bit from otherwise Vanu-esque theme.
    For best quality watch in 2160p!
    Make sure to watch the video on YouTube itself and to maximize the YouTube player first.

My other videos:
    Juggernaut, the Red Baron - collaboration with Juggernaut, a dogfighting montage themed after WWI's Red Baron

Light Assault Montages:
    Goodbye - AC-X11 LA CQC montage
    I fight for Vanu! - taking suppressed Pulsar C into CQC with music from Black Mesa
    Armistice Day - making this video taught me to respect the power of SMGs
    Freedom has a price - "how come my only friends are the ones I pay?"
    Weapon Spotlight: GD-7F - a tribute to sexiest carbine in the game
    Light Assault Irony - my first PlanetSide 2 video featuring T5 AMC and mild humor
    Night Patrol - a slow-paced LA montage with a slug shotgun
    TS-4 Haymaker - slug montage

Unconventional Gameplay:
    Aggressive Engineering - cheesing infantry kills with Tank Mines
    Pump Action Shotgun Slugs: Part 1, Part 2 - showcasing one of the most powerful, yet challenging loadouts

Video Guides:
    Light Assault Basic Strategy
    Jet Pack Tips
    Full Auto Shotgun Highlight
  2. Mystogan

Great Vid. Funny music :D

Regarding Solistice- it is small decent carbine, mid-range stable baby. Only thing what it lacks is some strong point compare to TRAC-5 which is worse at distance but better in CQC or Mercenary which is equaly good in CQC and mid-range, however it has this sweet 3-headshot kill as 167 dmg weapon.

So Solistice is controllable and super fast reloads are nice to have, however it could use small tweak to make it stand out in some area from 2 other defaults. Like slightly faster ROF (Zenith profile?) or 5 more bullets In mag, or much better hip or 0,75. Something small to make it shine where other 2 do not.

Still it is great weapon for typical LA passive gameplay- flank on roofs/higher ground, pick off target or two, reload, change position, pick up, relead, rinse repeat.

I am working right now on Auraxium Armor but after that I will move to Eclipse also :). Need 2 more carbines :).

I am still learing how to LA :D.
  3. Onhil

Fianlly someone who don't put weird *** dubstep in montages thank you.

However good montage. The Soltice for me is a mix, mix sometimes I just hate the crap out of it sometimes I love it, but it's like that with most VS weapons. I wonder how you will do with the Pulsar C as it's my favorite carbine sharing the same spot as the Zeneith.

I have not played LA for some months now it used to be the class I only played before I started playing HA and got addicted to the amount of kills I get. I hope that as soon as I get the aurx armor I will start playing LA and finnish the weapons and armour directive before I move back to my Coablt characters. I still don't know why I play on Connery havind 200+ ms ping is very frustrating sometimes, but the nice part is that it increases my reflexes substantially.

I think the biggest issue for the reason I have not moved on is that the Betelgeuse is so addicting. Why does it have to be so good?
  4. Iridar51

I already have a Pulsar C video here, though it's a bit uncharacteristic since Suppressor is the only attachment that I used, and most engagements were is sub-20m range. Considering Pulsar C is one of the better VS carbines, I'll probably use it again on path to Eclipse, maybe make another video.
  5. ATRA_Wampa-One

Take my advice and save the VX6-7 for last. Don't ask why... I want it to be a surprise.

The Solstice though I thought I would hate it since it's so similar to the Pulsar VS1 and I hate that piece of crap excuse for a gun, but the Solstice was a pleasant surprise. Not the best in CQC by any stretch and it doesn't have the stability or DPM for ranged work, but at mid range it's a fantastic carbine and my third favorite overall after the Jaguar and Pulsar C.

Also, the Eclipse once you get it... :D
  6. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Hint:
    Red Baron was WW I. ;)
    Some good footage, though it somehow still looked a bit pixelated, dunno why.
    Most people start with this weapon, then when they get better they switch, thinking their previous worse performance was due to the weapon.
    I sure want to attain it and others, to at least once have that nice weapon unlocked popup I didn't get on the Betel due to dying a second later, but I sure don't have the will and stamina to slug myself through several weapons just to get the one I want.
    Make a video once you get the Eclipse, will ya? :)
  7. Iridar51

Youtube doesn't allow enough bitrate for high quality, that's why I upload it in 4k in an attempt to fool it. Doesn't seem to help, though.

I'll lurk around, maybe I should encode my videos differently.
    Of course :) Probably won't be soon though. Even at 300 kills per day it's 20 days, and it won't be 300 kills per day ;)
  8. IronMouse

Iridar, you TRaitor. :p
  9. Iridar51

Meh I've done my share for the TR. Whatever they get they deserve for making me use Failstorm. After two years of playing the same game things start to get old, so playing as a blood-thirsty zealot provides a good change of scenery, for the time being.
    • Up x 1
  10. Leivve

The heresy as seeped into his mind! We must purge him of the false truths!

There is only Loyalty, there is only Honor, There is only the Republic!
  11. Extremite

Welcome to the dark side, Iridar. I'm happy to see you're enjoying the VS weapons so far! I never got in to the Solstice myself but the Serpent and Pulsar C are two of my favorite weapons in the game. Have you had a chance to play with the Serpent or VX6-7 yet?
  12. Iridar51

Not yet. Currently finishing LA directives, got ~500 SMG kills left, so using Eridani for the time being. God Vanu, what a horrible weapon, if I knew it'd be that bad I'd use NS-7 again. Though got much better since I swapped ALS for extended mags.
  13. Extremite

I feel you there...the Eridani is one of the few purchases that I regret making. Good luck on that one!
  14. Jawarisin

WHAAAT did you say about my favorite weapon?
    - Did you not notice the exotic shape?
    - Did you not notice the amazing lazer sound?
    - Did you not notice the extremely fast reload?
    - Did you not notice how it snugly fit your hands?
    - Did you not notice the exquisite firing animation?
    - Did you not notice the perfection?

And seriously though, that quick reload is reallly fast.
  15. Iridar51

It's hard to impress with fast reload after using Solstice. Eridani does look nice, if not with the weird thick top rail. Animations are sweet and unique. My greatest beef with it is lack of killing power and effective range. I guess I got spoiled by Armistice's super high DPS.

Like I said, it got much better since I started using it with ex. mags, feels like a totally different weapon. Playing with Serpent is probably gonna feel godlike after that.
  16. ATRA_Wampa-One

Are you using the same gun I was?

Eridani (provided you use it with SPA & Ex-mags) fills a very nice gap that exists in the VS's carbine selection since it's effectively a 750 ROF carbine with a 35 round magazine but with low velocity. It has the same max damage range as all 143 damage weapons (10m instead of the usual 6 for SMG's) that's extended to 15m with SPA which makes it great for LA.
  17. Iridar51

Like I said, it's gotten much better since I started using ex. mags. Still weak, though. Damage range doesn't mean much with that poor accuracy. The only reason Eridani even has a place as a weapon is because Sirius is even less accurate. VS SMGs are terrible.

It's not like 750 RoF is some sort of advantage. Not unless it comes with good accuracy, like in case of TRAC 5.
    You want as much as you can get for CQC, and both CQC dedicated carbines have that better.
  18. ATRA_Wampa-One

Well yeah, welcome to the VS where almost everything we have is a downgrade of the mediocre NC/TR stuff. Speaking of which, what's worst, the Sirius or Maelstrom?

And the trick to using the Eridani I found is to treat it like a Jaguar with a bit shorter range Jaguar that pulls to the right since it gets 0.75 ADS for being an SMG.
  19. Iridar51

"Maelstrom"? You mean Hailstorm? Failstorm is the single most pathetic primary in the game. I literally cannot imagine a worse weapon. Armistice's goodness compensates for it somewhat.