[Mini game] Wierd things in PS2 that make no sense?!?!?!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaTurtle, Aug 26, 2014.

1. strid3r478

I will explain in short to you how traditional weapon works. for more look google yourself.
    Bullet compound does not explode it's actually burns. As you pull the trigger you ignite the bullet compound , then it generate lots of gas very quickly. The gas shoots from the back of the bullet, increasing the pressure behind it, and forcing it down the gun barrel , as the bullet exits the barrel this pressure is released and forms a pressure wave.That's what makes a gun go BANG! If the bullet exits the barrel moving faster than 1,225 km/h (sound barrier) - and many bullets do same like NC and TR they create a ballistic crack that is just a loud as the pressure wave. Basically, the bullet is moving so fast though the air it creates a vacuum behind it - the ballistic crack is the sound of the air filling back in. So the tr have two hits first from pressure wave second from bullet itself.

This part is correct, yet reducing sound means reducing velocity .

First of all the NC use both the rail guns and the coil guns aka "Gauss gun" and there is zero information how the planetside weapons actually operates in detail so we can only use our imagination and today's knowledge.
    So the rail guns the projectile itself is non conductive so there is no current running through it, yet there is armature or casing of projectile that closes the circuit and carries out the projectile after leaving the barrel the casing detaches from the bullet there was no information about lightnings fallowing the case ,that bang after bullet pulled vacuum inside barrel would not be louder then the traditional bullet compound with out coming pressured gases.

what?:confused: if the gun would explode apart from shooting first bullet? well yes it would :D
    well there would be some static sound i guess but nothing like you trying to say.

No it would not sound like big boom more like static sounds. What are you a James Cameron enough fantasizing about explosions :D

No as you said yourself in previous message
    The nc have faster bullet velocity that's why they hitting harder don't change your opinion on fly.
    • Up x 3
  2. LtSqueak

I thought NC used gauss rifles (which use electro-magnets), and not rail guns. Granted, the bullet is still moving super-sonic, so there'll be a nice bang as it breaks the sound barrier.

On topic:
    Light assaults can fly straight even though their jet pack is way off the center-of-mass. Sorry, as an engineer, this just bugs the hell out of me.
    • Up x 1
  3. ColonelChingles

Cats... buttered toast...

Hmmm...

[IMG]
  4. Prudentia

i have bronze on both BBs and Claymores but i'm very close to silver medal on the BBs :eek: as a VS of course :D
  5. Demigan

Oh yes, depending on where you look they sometimes say railgun, that stuck even though the game is littered with Gauss <something> rifles o_O

Still, they must be awesomely strong electro magnet coils, and turning them on and off would still give a nice loud sound. The air rushing back into the vacuum rifle would also cause a nice bang (if it does go vacuum).
  6. Demigan

I'm not sure. An explosion is nothing more than a very fast burn. Here's something from the wiki on explosives:
    "An explosive is classified as a low or high explosive according to its rate of burn: low explosives burn rapidly (or deflagrate), while high explosives detonate. While these definitions are distinct, the problem of precisely measuring rapid decomposition makes practical classification of explosives difficult"

On the same page you can read that a detonation is nothing more than a burn fast enough that the expansion of the material is faster than the speed of sound.
    So I'm not sure if you meant something else that could be an important characteristic of bullet propellants or that you mistook something.

Yeah someone else also corrected me on the Gauss part.
    Considering the amount of Amps we are talking about, the electricity would have no problem jumping through the air towards the casing closing the circuit as it leaves the barrel, when that casing goes too far the bolt of lightning stops and the air rushes in similar to the bullet breaking the speed of sound.

I was still talking about the lightning bolt following the casing.

Nope, but I don't think that these cooling sounds would have such a small sound if you rapidly heat something up and down within 0,03 seconds between firing one bullet and the next. This was assuming that the NC used Railguns and not Gauss rifles ofcourse.

I was assuming his standpoint of "bullets have the same velocity", as you point out I don't agree with him, but by assuming his standpoint I had a good way of explaining why these bullets have more sound. I know it looks bad when you point it out, but usually people don't remember or read that well and I'll make liberal use of that, especially since they seem to have shorter memories when it comes to their own words.
  7. FieldMarshall

Whoever designed the bases went "Yeah we wont go with that underground spawnroom stuff anymore, lets have them all out in the open" for some reason, and nobody objected.
  8. strid3r478

I was explaining this because you asked.
    "And what does TR got to generate sound? One shockwave generating compound? It's as if they aren't even trying!"
    There is pressure wave and ballistic crack from bullet, so there is not only one shock wave but two.
    The same as you saying the rail gun has vacuum sound from barrel as the bullet leaves the gun and ballistic crack from bullet itself.

Why would you think that there is intervals between heating on and cooling off after each bullet fired?
    There would probably constant cooling session running and maintaining operational temp, and not allowing the rail to overheat too much so it wont effect the barrel chamber, while you operate the gun. imagine you pressing the trigger the cooling session starts until you release the trigger, so it would be more constant sound.

Not sure if by saying "his" you mean me but if it so, i only remembering saying the "pretty much the same" not the same it means there is difference .
    • Up x 1
  9. Rhaegal

good one
    • Up x 1
  10. ColonelChingles

Yes... to clarify this, firearms make noise because of several things:

1) The supersonic crack as the bullet breaks the sound barrier. This is just going to happen if you have something moving so fast that it breaks the sound barrier. Most bullets used with suppressors are loaded to be "subsonic", meaning that their velocity is going to be below the sound barrier. Since the sound barrier is 343 m/s, most NC small arms would at least make that distinctive supersonic cracking sound.

2) The thermal expansion of gasses. When you fire a bullet, the detonation of the round generates heat. This heat heats up the air nearby, and when you heat air it expands. This now expanded air is heavily compressed in the barrel/chamber of the firearm (because the volume stayed the same) and is under a lot of pressure. When that gas escapes the barrel, it causes noise. Suppressors help eliminate this by creating an area of increased volume so the gas isn't so crazy when it finally finds its way out.

3) Mechanical noises of moving parts. Things go clink and click. Suppressors usually don't do anything about this.

As for NC weapons, for sure they'd at least emit the supersonic crack as mentioned in 1). Whether they will also make the noise as described in 2) is up to their design. I've heard that NC weapons might be a "hybrid" design where they are fired like normal bullets (with a gunpowder propellant) but then accelerated with magnets. If that's the case, then we would get the noise in 2) as well. We'd also probably hear something from 3) too because you have to at least load up another projectile.
  11. ColonelChingles

Have you ever wanted to have the anti-infantry power of a 100mm HEAT cannon in your pocket? Well fear no more, because the NS Fragmentation Grenade can do the trick!

Lightning 100mm HEAT Cannon:
    Direct Damage- 1,275
    Explosive Damage- 750 before 1m, 1 at 5m

NS Fragmentation Grenade:
    Explosive Damage- 1,275 before 1m, 10 at 6.5m

So the Frag Grenade practically does the same damage at a direct hit (at least generally enough to OHK most infantry), has a 1m OHK radius which is bigger than the HEAT cannon's, and has a larger and more damaging maximum blast radius.

Heck, the Frag Grenade even has a greater explosive radius than the 100mm HE shell! And let's go completely insane, shall we? It even has a larger and damaging explosive radius than a 150mm HE cannon!

OMG! Wow! Amazing! Much Logic! :eek:
  12. Kylby36

Valkyrie being a light transport vehicle, yet it's slower than a liberator, and has no defenses against fighters...