Remove esf secondary weapons.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheRealNattyIce, Feb 26, 2015.

1. TheRealNattyIce

Why is the esf the only vehicle in the game that has 2 weapons for 1 seat slot? Imagine if tanks had coaxial mgs or a 2ndardy canister shell !

This would also stop all the QQ about rocket pod farming infantry and stop all the abuse of AA locks / coyotes
    • Up x 5
  2. Mootar

AB should be removed if you use any secondary other than fuel tanks, it would be a great way to not only balance A2G farmers by forcing them to slow boat everywhere in exchange for versatility and killing power, it would also go a long way to addressing the A2A lock on issues.

It's so simple you have to think they have considered it and decided against it for some strange reason, so I won't hold my breath.
    • Up x 5
  3. Ownasaurusrex

A very valid point. An alternative is to only allow one type at a time. Only one weapon choice between all of the options in primary and secondary.
  4. DashRendar

No. And no it wouldn't. Air seems overpowered to ground because a lot of times, ground only pays attention to ground, and then air shows up and ruins their hunt. It doesn't matter if air has an AOE confetti launcher, air will seem overpowered to ground and especially new players.
    • Up x 3
  5. z1967

At this point I think we should just roll with the ESF 2 weapons system and start adding it to more vehicles. A co-axial on a tank? Hardly an issue (and I am a career C4 fairy). We'll just balance the weapons for the platforms based on some key things. For example, ESFs taking a secondary weapon may suffer a movement penalty and/or no afterburner to solidify loadout choices. Or a tank with a Co-ax may give up a defense/utility slot for it (or it could just be added straight up as another loadout slot :p).
    • Up x 3
  6. Ownasaurusrex

1. You don't want pilots to use AI and pods on you?(ground peasant)
    2. Or are you a flying crutchman desperately needing both options.(crying flying Crutchman)
    Pilot squads with full ammo nose guns and hornets.. They melt everything in the game..... Don't you think you should listen to the perpetrators of these weapons that some limits can be tested?
    • Up x 1
  7. chrisarn94

It would be nice to see the coax guns put back on the vanguard model. What they turned into always looked kinda funny to me.
  8. Ownasaurusrex

Seriously:

Implement either OPs or z1967 or mine
    I can see nerfs like this cause necessary buffs.
    ESF with only rocket pods better have strong a$$ rocket pods able to combat Air units also.

This type of balance restructuring will be very satisfying to all weapon users. Buff everything limit choice.
  9. TheRealNattyIce

coaxial guns are mounts to the tank cannon itself for the driver to use, the gunner seat is something entirely different.
  10. Ownasaurusrex

Chrisarn94 suggests tank users get secondary weapons which is a good idea.
  11. MahouFairy

Another ground peasant who thinks that air is invincible.

Sure, how about we remove one gun from the sunderer and the secondary weapons from all MBTs?
  12. MahouFairy

I prefer to call them rocket pods providing close air support.

Really? I thought lock on users are the ones getting abused? :eek:
  13. ColonelChingles

Those all require more than one person to use, or that you lose all mobility when you switch.

I'd totally be okay if ESF secondaries meant that no one was flying the ESF anymore if you tried to use them, causing ESFs to fall out of the sky like rocks. :p
    • Up x 1
  14. DashRendar

Not sure if I'm missing something, or if you are. In Alpha, concept art, and/or very early builds, the Vanguard HAD coax guns mounted next to the main cannon, which have been taken away, and are now the awkward looking black slots next to the main gun which aren't really anything except slots for coax guns that aren't there. I'm pretty sure this is what he was referring to, as far as looking strange as if they should be there, but they aren't.
    • Up x 4
  15. MahouFairy

Maybe an ESF trades health for pure damage? Give and take. You don't see an ESF tanking anything.

The only person who needs to stop QQing is OP.
  16. ColonelChingles

Exactly. This was one of the older ideas for the Vanguard:

[IMG]

It had twin coax 20mm Basilisks, one on each side of the main cannon.

A more recent one but still never implemented:

[IMG]

Here you see that both 20mm Basilisks have been moved to the left of the main cannon and rest in two little cut-outs for them.

The current Vanguard looks like this:

[IMG]

And it just has weird useless "plugs" where the coaxial 20mm autocannon should have been. What are those things even for?!? :eek:
    • Up x 5
  17. TheRealNattyIce

lol actually all i do is fly and seldom do a bit of tanking...
  18. ColonelChingles

It already does that... and doesn't even need two different weapons to do the job!

Hornets do 2,000 damage per shot, and you can fire two of them (and reload) in a little over 4 seconds. Which is about 1,000 DPS.

The much-vaunted 150mm Titan AP cannon does 2,075 damage every 4 seconds... only 518.75 DPS.

By just using Hornets alone, an ESF can already do twice the DPS of a MBT. If we allow ESFs to simply switch to their other weapon when the Hornets are still reloading, their DPS climbs even more.

So if we just let ESFs pick one weapon instead of two, your statement would still hold true. ESFs would still trade health for DPS... and they'd still be getting a good deal out of it! :p
  19. MahouFairy

Ohh sure why not. Looks like I'm going to abuse the hell out of G2As until they get nerfed as well.
  20. MahouFairy

Well, I do more infantry and gun MBTs that flying and I've never found air OP.