[Suggestion] Main Battle Tank weapon choices are boring. Lets have more exciting options! (pics inside)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bukoski, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Bukoski

I'm fairly new to Planetside--only recently have I started playing a lot. I enjoy much of what the game has to offer.

However, something that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is the lack of variety in a lot of weapon choices. Most tend to be slight variations of another with different stats. The most egregious are the main armaments for MBTs. We have an AP, HEAT, and HE version; however, each version is just the same looking tank, same mechanics, with minor stat adjustments. Honestly these days, everyone seems to use AP and HEAT is relegated to those who haven't unlocked AP yet. Having similar weapons with different stats isn't very exciting, is often hard to balance variety of use, and doesn't impact gameplay much.

So let us have better MBT armament options! When I select a main weapon for my MBT, I want to immediately see big changes in playstyle, visual aesthetic, and faction differentiation most of all.

So without further ado, here are some pictures I photoshopped quickly of what Planetside 2 could have.

Terran Republic: Hybrid anti-tank and infantry:
    [IMG]
    Same MBT armament as we have now. Used to kill infantry with a direct hit or kill enemy tanks.

Terran Republic: Anti-tank:
    [IMG]
    The TR's new AP option would be a missile tank. Two firing modes are available:
    1). Two missiles are guided to whatever direction the tank's turret points.
    2). A fire and forget dummy mode.

This missile variant would be suited to long range combat since far-away targets are hard to hit. With the ability to adjust the missile's trajectory, targets far away can be destroyed with precision zoom optics. In the need to take cover, the fire and forget mode can be used to duck behind hills and reload in between shots. Real life counter parts of something similar would be Soviet tanks during the Cold War which could shoot missiles from their barrels at ranges longer than their cannon could shoot.

Terran Republic: Anti-Infantry:
    [IMG]
    The TR'S new anti-infantry vehicle platform would be a Prowler with a rapid firing mortar discharger. With four smaller caliber high explosive mortars, the P4-90 can saturate a small area in explosives with great accuracy. Unlike its NC counterpart which will be discussed later, the P4-90 is rapid firing, quick to reload, and short ranged.

---

New Conglomerate: Hybrid anti-tank and infantry:
    [IMG]
    Same MBT armament as we have now. Used to kill infantry with a direct hit or kill enemy tanks with the added flexibility of a turreted design.

New Conglomerate: Anti-tank:
    [IMG]
    Railguns are so NC these days. The railgun 150mm AP is a long range sniping platform. The railgun is mounted on a fixed chasis with limited traverse. Because of this, the railgun variant of the Vanguard is unsuitable for close range combat. Instead it wreaks havoc on enemies from a long distance, using its extremely fast projectile speed and flat trajectory to pick off targets with minimal effort.

New Conglomerate: Anti-infantry:
    [IMG]
    Unlike its TR anti-infantry counterpart, the NC vanguard Howitzer is a slow firing, long range platform. It lobs a single large shell over an arced and somewhat inaccurate trajectory. Because of its fixed mount and slow reload time, the Vanguard Howitzer is virtually helpless at close range combat but remains an intimidating threat to infantry zergs at long range.

---

Sorry Vanu, I don't have anything made for you :( , but if I have time later, I might photoshop 2 more variants. ;)

---

Thoughts?
    • Up x 12
  2. Ferrovore

You know what, i kinda would like to have the whole Warzone 2100 in here. With all the cyborg stuff, too.
    • Up x 3
  3. VulphluxTR

That vanguard hitbox doe
    • Up x 3
  4. Raap

I'd love to see new MBT primary weapons.

Keyword here being NEW, not overhauls of existing weapons. Overhauling existing weapons just makes owners of said weapons annoyed and doesn't earn the company any new sales.

... I wonder what a Prowler missile platform would feel like with deploy mode...
    • Up x 4
  5. AlterEgo

Katyushas, anyone?
    • Up x 5
  6. Leftconsin

I was about to suggest that very thing.
    • Up x 2
  7. AlterEgo

And once again, VS gets nothing. This is exactly why we deserve only buffs, and why every single nerf we demand to be applied to TR or NC equipment is valid.

On the other hand, I LOVE the way the AI cannons look like 16th century cannons, complete with the slightly bowl-looking barrels. I really like that:D

NOW NERF THEM!
    • Up x 1
  8. Bukoski

They've already rebalanced and nerfed many of the different versions that exist already. I'd imagine for simplicity's sake, they just combine AP HEAT and HE, buff HEAT slightly to compensate, and refund the certs for the two purchasable variants which can then be spent on any new systems.

If you have an idea for Vanu, I might photoshop it and edit it in the OP. :)
    • Up x 1
  9. Ferrovore

Just one word
    Transport-zeppelin
  10. LodeTria

The AV guns that have guidance and massive velocity are bad. They reward sitting back and camping from a safe distance when we should be avoiding that.
  11. Bukoski

Instead, I think its a good trade-off if you can no longer farm infantry effectively imo.
  12. DxAdder

For the VS :) :

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  13. ColonelChingles

I'll throw in some AI options.

The MOAR DAKKA TR choice:

[IMG]

The BIG BOOM NC version (very similar to yours):

[IMG]

And the BURN THE HERETIC VS fashion accessory:

[IMG]
    • Up x 13
  14. LodeTria

Guidance and High velocity make it easier to hit infantry for further away. Also the NC AI version is designed to farm infantry from long range as well so I really don't see what you're getting at.
  15. AlterEgo

I don't know...
    It looks too...
    Too...

Japanese.
    • Up x 1
  16. AlexR

Main battle tanks are boring, please release MAIN MAIN battle tank already.

[IMG]
    • Up x 8
  17. Bukoski

I was talking about the AP options. The missile would be difficult to hit infantry. The railgun can always have its damage vs infantry tuned to not 1 hit kill or have a 0.5 sec firing delay, and the howitzer would be clumsy to aim with as a balancing tool. At least that's how I envisioned it.
  18. DxAdder

The Only BIG problem I see with Super Heavy tanks is the lack of Mobility and actually being able to get around would
    be there undoing.
    • Up x 1
  19. LodeTria

Guidance makes it pretty easy to hit moving targets, and hey if you're finding it difficult you have the option to dumb-fire anyway. NC also got the short end here as well as their AP turret is only good at long ranges, whilst the TR one is effective at all ranges. The TR can perform simple combat tactics like "driving to the the vanguard's side" whilst the vanguard gets the option to sit there and die.

The TR AI is also far superior to the NC one as it's a rapid firing, accurate and quick to reload weapon. Sure it has to get closer but that's never really a problem when facing infantry. The NC gun on the other hand is an inaccurate, slow reloading weapon which is not something you want from an AI weapon.
  20. Mxiter

Can't imagine its gun depression. Facehug it and shoot it to death.
    • Up x 3