To every light assault upset about the upcoming C4 changes.

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Ballto21, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Nerazim

Realism is not an argument.

This change will make infantry-tank interaction much more frustrating. Currently, if I'm playing infantry I'll just avoid getting in tanks line of fire, every now and again I'll stick some bricks to a reckless driver if they give me a chance to (with mixed success, depending on how I've read the situation and how the driver reacts).

If I'm driving a tank, I'm constantly paranoid about C4 and make a point to NOT let enemy infantry come close enough to touch my tank. Yes, light assaults can fly. This also makes them obvious and easy to dodge. I probably die to Liberators 60% of the time, Tanks 30% of the time and Infantry based AV 10% of the time (with ravens and mana turrets making up the majority).

If you are getting killed by C4 often enough to actually be in favor of nerfing it, I'm sorry but it's a L2P issue. Try using Proxy Radar until you develop enough awareness to stop people walking up to your tank and sticking things to it.

If you are scoring lots of kills, instead of thinking, "this is awesome, I'm gonna keep doing this exact same thing, the farm is real! OH MY GOD C4'd AGAIN" try thinking "how are these guys planning on countering me? How can I stop that?"

If you can get two bricks of C4 onto a magrider and detonate, you deserve that kill. Go try it against someone good. They'll probably send you a tell thanking you for feeding them certs.

Let's not allow tanks to park right next to enemy infantry and farm farm farm. Besides, why nerf fun? It's one of the most satisfying things in Ps2 to detonate c4 on a tank that's been farming your team for ages.
  2. DQCraze

First off you are wrong. Assuming each brick is 1-2 pounds of c4. Dropping them on the rear of the tank would definately kill a real tank. This was proven during vietnam.

You could argue that c4 in the future would be exponentially more powerful then the c4 we have today.
    • Up x 2
  3. Jawarisin

oh right its plasma. Didn't think it too much, was just making a point that realism is stupid in a game. Can make it simplier, I want real railguns and allow it to pierce terrain like a real one would. This would be just as broken ^^
  4. MajiinBuu

Wait... will 2 Anti-Tank mines still kill an MBT?
    • Up x 1
  5. Auzor

Off all the possible tank examples.. you picked the m24?
    I for one, wouldn't be overly optimistic of that particular tank withstanding RPG's, IED's, or indeed, a couple of C4 bricks.
    Besides, it is probably far better to put a more shaped charge as explosive on the tank anyway.

M24 armor according to the wiki: 9.5-38mm.
    Churchill tank: 152mm in the front, again wiki.
    Sure, bigger, heavier, maybe armor not as inclined but..

Anyway: I'm fine with "normal" C4 not doing as much damage vs mbt's. However, I would suggest that putting two bricks on the back, deals as much damage as currently.
  6. TechMechMeds

From what i have seen in this game in the almost a year of playing is that most of the fiights are ended by a swarm of c4 fairies.

Just when a good fight gets going the c4 fairies come out and just ruin it and it's not just against vehicles, it's in doorways as well. I don't like terran buddies doing it either. There is already enough explosive spam in this game and it can be hard to get an actual gun fight........in an fps.
  7. TechMechMeds

Agreed.
    • Up x 1
  8. \m/SLAYER\m/

now no one trying to stick c4, there modern ATMs that will immobilize armor with 1 rocket, or aircraft what will burn large area. the game is about fun.
  9. Duban

Quite frankly, if a tank dies to C4 they ****** up. If a tank stands near a ledge where a LA can jump over and nuke them that's the tank's fault. If a tank stands out in the open they will have to stay mostly stationary while the LA runs up behind the much faster tank and never sweep the area around them.

If a player dies to C4 that much it's because they are a terrible player. Meanwhile those bad players are farming infantry easily. I bet most of even the C4'd tanks get at least 3 kills before they die. Anything else and they can just go around a corner to repair. This is nothing short of a buff to infantry farming for terrible do nothing tankers.

If a tank gets C4'd they damn well deserve it. Same thing for the LA.

P.S. Realism is literally the worst reason to do anything to a game.
    • Up x 1
  10. I play by many names

This is exactly the type of thread I would expect from a low quality player.
    • Up x 1
  11. z1967

I've always imagined PS2 C4 has three major components that allows it to be effective (lore wise):
    -It has a directional AV explosive that is used to destroy vehicles
    -It has an HE-like explosion on the non-directional side for AI use
    -It has magnets on the bottom that automatically make it attach somewhat correctly to vehicles.

So that's why it isn't like normal C4. It shares the name but is radically different. Now all we need to do is figure out how to fit one in a sabot for making better tank cannon rounds :).
  12. Copasetic

The C4 charges are made with nanites and nanites can do anything.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  13. zombielores

C4 is just a name, the true category C4 belongs in is plastic explosives which can be many different types of explosive ordinance.

In PS2, I imagine C4 working like this.
    1) The outer case/container that can withstand any amount of impact force. The bottom is some sort of super glue that we can't seem to separate from anything else.
    2) The explosives inside is some sort of HE ordinance that can penetrate tank armour. With blast cap already installed cause we're crazy.

It really isn't that different then real C4, just the shape and what explosives that's changed.

Now I would just strap our C4 into tank shells and call if a day.
  14. Alexkruchev

Agreed. Completely. Tank armor in the modern day is essentially immune to HE impacts. It's the shaped charges (mines and AP rocket warheads) that are dangerous, and tanks can usually take several of those without even being penetrated on frontal armor thickness. Many modern tanks can withstand shaped charge mines as well, due to design changes. C4 has only about a pound of explosive. A military hand grenade has... about 1/2 3/4ths of a pound of explosive, often the same kind per ounce in terms of power. Yet C4 2 shots tanks, and grenades do... absolutely nothing, or take 3-10 of them. Maybe. It's ridiculous. 1 shot kills on vehicles should be removed, I agree. Because when faced with the option of a reliable, long time investment kill, versus a 50% chance of an instant, people will go for the instant kill every time. Why? Because they -want the kill-. They want the glory. They'll die for it. The problem is, that C4 rushing is NOT uncommon, at all. Early on, it kind of was. But now, that 50% of one shot kill is being taken by 6 light assaults out of every 20 players. TH=hat means, if you're the tank, to survive, you have to win 6 coin tosses, all heads, in a row, or you will instantly die. There will always be more C4 spammers than tanks. C4 is an anti-structure tool, and an ambush tool for killing infantry. It's main purpose is to blow up bridges and barricades. It's NOT meant to take out armor, AT ALL. (Unless they're unfortunate enough to be parked in said bridge and fall into the water, A la WWII movies). At best, you could take out a track. But Planetside doesn't have a vehicle mobility kill mechanic, or placement like that, so... yeaahhhh. C4 should require about... 5-10 bricks to kill a tank, all on back armor. Front armor, should do 5% damage to the tank, sides, should do 10%. Not because it's realistic, but to do a favor to the C4 guys. They deserve -some- kind of reward for their efforts. And remember, that means that 2 C4 bricks on the side of a tank is 20% hp damage. That's the same as a rocket hit, or tank shell of HE flavoring. Worth the effort, when you're working with your team. That way, it will take multiple guys piling on C4. My main gripe, in reality, is that - and this is much worse in a DICE game, BF4 than here, due to this game limiting quantity and unlock cost- but in BF4, C4 kills make up 75% of all tank kills on Xbox 360 alone. In that game, where I am a dedicated tanker, I die to c4 roughly 5 times to every 1 time it is by a rocket launcher or enemy tank, or jet, or anything. In Planetside 2, things aren't THAT bad...

However...

I still die to C4 more times in a Max, and Tank, than: Rocket launchers, AT mines, AT Turrets, MANA-AV turrets, and all Aircraft types, combined.

Bearing in mind, C4 is up there about tied with enemy heavy tanks, but that's still a bit much- considering, c4 is a gadget...tanks are a force multiplier and huuuge cert/nanite investment. A utility slot level 1 on a tank costs as much as C4's initial unlock cost. So, I guess, I think C4 has disproportionate power due to it's ease of access, ease of deployment, and volume of deployment. C4 does not have to be driven from a tech plant or warp gate to get to a fight. it can spawn anywhere, in any numbers. And it also annoys me when people run C4 as a primary weapon, even in Planetside. Gadgets should not be the go to- primary weapons should be the go to, for infantry fighting. And vehicles and AT rocket launchers should be the go to for infantry. It's fair, it's balanced, and I remember vehicle games before people realized how easy it was to spam c4 use. I never once complained about tanks, or tank drivers. I felt confident I could handle them if I played with my team. IT gave a real sense of satisfaction and comraderie when we brought a tank down. There's no sense of achievement when my squad mate C4 spams a tank after his 2nd death in 2 minutes. Getting him on try three. IT as one player, who has the consistent power to take out any armor vehicle on his own- sunderers with deploy shield notwithstanding. THen again, with engineers being such a dying breed... I routinely see one guy hit a sunderer on 2 respawns and kill it, even 30 seconds between. And something's wrong with a game when "Theres' an enemy sunderer over there. get C4" is the standard procedure for sunderer kills, instead of the other 30 ways we havetok ill them off.
    • Up x 1
  15. Alexkruchev

Vehicles that are destroyed in PS2 cannot be repaired, period. They're destroyed. Damaged is something different.
  16. Copasetic

Then you're playing those things wrong, it's as simple as that. It's your fault that you're dying to C4 so much, when you realize that you can start to find ways of adjusting your play style to avoid it.

I've got plenty of tips if you want them, you can reduce your C4 deaths to 1 in 10 easily.
    • Up x 1
  17. TheBlindFreak

I don't give a damn about realism. Balance comes first. C4 is one of a light assaults main tools. Take that away and you better have some ideas for serious buffs. We are limited to holding 2 C4. If the number of c4 it takes to kill a tank increases, we better be able to hold enough c4 to kill a tank and have C4 cost proportionately less.

Even when tanking, I don't much care if infantry have C4. I don't die to C4 despite people making it sound like a widespread issue. I tank smart and don't loiter around places where infantry can hide.

also, just a fun note, the tank in the image can't really re-aim and react to infantry once they're really close or if they were to somehow float in the air above the tank. Tanks in this game can. So it's not even a fair comparison.
  18. Alchemist44

Just needs 2:
    1. Use proxy radar
    2. Dont stay within ~50m of a base (especially towers) for long and move around a bit even if you are in the middle of a good inf farm (coz last I checked tankers dont usually get C4'd during a tank vs tank battle)
  19. asdfPanda

I'm a little late on this one, but if a player's situational awareness is so poor that they simply cannot notice an LA running up to their MBT and killing it, the LA should be rewarded for the high-risk, high-reward playstyle, and the tanker should be punished for being bad.

I drive a Prowler casually; I almost have the AP cannon auraxiumed. Never have I died to C4 before and felt that it was OP.

Heck, if C4 is as big of a problem as it really is, counter it by pulling Proximity Radar.
  20. Ballto21

this thread has stirred more **** than i thought it would and i had honestly abandoned it its mission being done

But seriously if anyone thinks its hard to sneak up on a MBT as any class especially light assault then they need to do some serious evaluation of how good they are and maybe not go after it when its A moving (if prowler, skyguard, or camping lightning/vanguard) B) hunting or otherwise looking for new infantry (especially magriders) or C) if you have to go it it from the sides and cant go above, dont.

The only time you can actually die to an MBT as a light assault is if you **** up somehow, at ,least in the open. They are very easy to avoid if youre an infiltrator or light assault because you have the mobility on both, cloak on one, and the ability to fly over the pan up view of the cannons and drop C4 like bird****.

At best, generally a MBT will be able to drive away and turn around to shoot you. But if that happens its the light assaults fault for not being fast enough or not realizing when hes lost and that he should **** off