[Suggestion] Heat mechanic guns are OP!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GImofoJoe, Dec 27, 2014.

1. GImofoJoe

Most people are in the habit of reloading their guns even if only after using a fraction of the magazine after one kill. Then get shot dead with their pants down...Heat guns eliminate reloading. Just pop in and out of cover to shoot, rinse repeat, no reloading! Cooling down from a few bullets are way faster than reloading.

Infinite ammo! that means you can go Rambo gungho and not having ammo at the back of your mind. Be the ultimate camper. I bet they shoot a hell lot more bullets per hour too = More fire power.

No reloading bursts + infinite ammo = More active combat.

Take a look at the monthly stats collected, all the heat guns Kill Per Hour are light years ahead of the rest.

http://ps2oraclestats.com/monthlystats/
    • Up x 1
  2. Xind

I'm not as concerned by the lack of reloading as the lack of never needing to resupply. There is an armor slot that you can get that allows you to forego survivability to carry extra ammunition, but these guns just give you better than the slot can while not needing to actually invest in it. I'd personally just like to see them have a maximum number of rounds fired before they need to visit an engineers ammo cache or resupply.

(Oh, and Buff TR directive reward weapons...seriously wtf the is the Unity?)
    • Up x 1
  3. GImofoJoe

Just watch youtube videos on these guns and see how powerful accurate bursts, pop in and out of cover with no reloading really is.....and infinite ammo on top of that.
  4. Xind

To be honest, if you're accurate with any weapon you can pop in and out of cover and devastate 1-2 targets without needing to reload with virtually any weapon. VS weapons as a whole feel excessively accurate, but I'd assume that comes from being on the receiving end of them and constantly trying to have shots land on target with our (TRs) jittery fun-guns.

Similarly, if the enemy is taking on targets 1 after another, outside of the Carv, most people would have enough time to reload between engagements. (We're assuming they're not waiting for shield recharge, because just about any weapon can be reloaded in that time) And if the target is taking on multiple opponents simultaneously and they still can't kill him, then no amount of reloading will change the fact that they lost a 1v3.

But even against the best player, stuck in to a good spot, with their weapon of choice (on a non-engineer) they will eventually have to retreat, redeploy or simply be overwhelmed when they run out of ammo or are reduced to a side arm. This does not happen and this is my sole problem with Heat Mechanics.

Do I think all VS reward weapons are OP? No, not at all. Most reward weapons aren't that crazy. The Belelguese seems like a bit much, especially compared to the Butcher...it's got a lot of extra accuracy stats...vs the butchers...mag...size... But this is an outlier, not the standard.
  5. FrozenCustard

Yeah, kind of silly how the TR and NC got the short end of the stick. If you really think about it, a slight mag size decrease wouldn't matter too much for the VS weapons because most of the people who grined all those kills to get them MUST be really good and don't need more than even ten shots. But when they take someone out, they don't need to take the risk of wether or not they should reload because they can just let it recharge with some still in the mag and not be stuck with being jumped while reloading. Also never needing to re-supply must be pretty handy for those long kill streaks.
  6. iller

don't care

it's the aimbot + nospread accuracy of nanitesystems and vs guns that gets my goat
    I'm outgunned constantly as an inf and I can sometimes run away from full auto TR and live. NS/VS? Nope, never.
    • Up x 3
  7. GoyoElGringo

OMG, if my Gauss Saw had a heat mechanic instead of mags....wow that would be amazing.
    • Up x 1
  8. Pat22

Wait so the faction that already has the least damage-per-magazine on average gets a few guns that have even smaller magazines than the guns they're based on and somehow this is OP because every once in a blue moon someone will live long enough by himself behind enemy lines and far away from any friendly or enemy ammo packs for the infinite ammo to actually become useful?

Do either of you NC or TR players even know what it feels like to play with a 143 damage weapon that has only a 25 round clip? Not good, definitely not good.
    • Up x 16
  9. Pat22

Not to mention they glow purple and can't be suppressed.
  10. Crayv

The heat mechanic was a nice change to make them feel more VS and from what I understand the ARs and Carbines have such a small mag that you will often overheat mid-fight.

The Belelguese however.... I see that thing more than all other directive weapons combined and multiplied times two.

Though I kinda wish they would give some of the other factions some unquie thing to it really define them (though the NC's shotgun with an underbarrel shotgun is rather unique it feels like it is there more for a pun than anything). Like NC getting a half teir higher in damage (wouldn't effect up close TTK but it would extend it) and TR getting no-bloom as theirs.
    • Up x 3
  11. Blippy

TR: Vanu has OP things that need to be nerfed!

VS: Yeah well the Vulcan-H was overbuffed and needs to be toned down.

TR:
    • Up x 3
  12. Pat22

You're implying the heat guns are OP here. I don't know about the Betelgeuse but the AR and Carbine certainly aren't.
  13. Blippy

I'm not. I think they're fine, even though they're really weak against HAs. I'm just pointing out the attitude the TR are having right now.
  14. Pat22

Then it is an accurate portrayal, seeing as that exact same video was linked by a TR in another thread to defend the Vulcan.
    • Up x 1
  15. Xind

Whether the Vulcan-H is OP or not has no baring whether infantry weapons are OP. Vehicles are not men and the balance of one is not dependent on the other.
    • Up x 2
  16. Liberty

For what it is worth as someone who is in the top ten KDR with the Betelgeuse / Darkstar (if that matters to you) they are good and unique but really not as amazing as they might seem.

On the unlimited ammo side of things, if you assume the average accuracy of most players is 25% (which is a bit generous) and their average LPK is ~10-11 you need around a 6.5 K/D with the LMG and a 4.5 with the AR, which pretty much represents the top 1% of all players. Meaning ammo won't likely be a factor for most people who pick up the weapons.

With reloading or the lack there of, the Betelguese can be potentially powerful if your targets come at you in a nice staggered pace. But if you get pushed too hard, it will force you to your side arm quicker than any other LMG. It is hard not to undersell or oversell the benefits, because it on instance it can be downright amazing that you never have to really stop shooting to reload but in another, you'll wish you had the SVA because targets are simply coming too quick for the heat mechanic to kick in.

For the AR, you will be really pushed to win 2 v 1's because of your mag size. Like the LMG (but not as forgiving) if you can stagger a bunch of 1 v 1's the heat mechanic can be great, but as soon as you are in a situation where you get pushed, things tend to fall apart quicker.

So, if you have great positioning and team support on your firing lane, the heat mechanic is pretty awesome because you will end up with higher uptime firing. I still mostly use the SVA as my go to weapon for most situations and the Orion is a CQC backup, as for AR's I usually stick with the Terminus or HV-45 as I'd rather have a higher damage tier as a medic than 143/698.
    • Up x 1
  17. Elrobochanco

Pretty sure it's only the LMGs, and I'm pretty sure that's more to do with HA issues than the heat mechanic. As both the other factions ones are also way above the general pool of LMGs (aside from the anchor and sva-88, favorites of career HAs). The VS one is certainly above that, but you are talking about a weapon that is only in the hands of players who have a good understanding of weapon control/use, and are on the class which everyone says is "fine" to have unfair 1v1 fights with.

Basically I'm saying the nerf to HA shields would do more to bring this in line than a change of the heat mechanics. This is a HA is OP problem.
  18. Golconda

No reaload is a much bigger deal than infinite ammo IMHO, and yes the beetle is OP.
    I mean it has superior accuracy, no reaload if you spray less than 45 shots (thats only 5 less t'han orion), infinite ammo, 0.75 ads speed multiplayer....I mean cmon?! Why dont we give it splash damage?
    • Up x 1
  19. Demigan

It's true for Assault rifles, LMG's and Sidearms. The HEAT mechanic weapons are wildly overpowering the other weapons.
    In the other cases, the weapons are all more or less equal.

I think that because half of the weapons are equal, and half the weapons are OP, it isn't "just" the HEAT mechanic. It can be any number of factors that make the individual weapons OP.
  20. Golconda

To me it's not the heat mechanic in general, it's the combination of high accuracy AND 45 ammo AND ADS speed multiplier.

My concern is only the LMG. I'd give it a 35 bullet magazine or remove that 0.75X