[Suggestion] Knife HitBox Is Too Small.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Foxirus, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Foxirus

Okay, So I am not the only one complaining about the size of the damage area as the knife goes across the screen. I have been hearing people complain about the knives being harder to hit with as well as being less reliable. This has got to be fixed.
    • Up x 1
  2. Waratorium

I like the new knife hitbox- it means that it actually takes skill to knife someone now and makes knifing people more enjoyable for me.
  3. SpruceMoose

to get a knife hit you damn near need to give the guy a prostate exam

fix it higby
    • Up x 6
  4. Waratorium

I enjoy being inside the enemy when I stick them with my sharp vibrating thing.
  5. CuteBeaver

Except sometimes even when sharing body heat.... those hits don't even register.

Iv tried to headshot people and got nothing. Or oddly enough I will get a body shot instead. My entire play-style is based on knifing, and I have noticed a huge difference especially against moving targets. I switched back to the older style knives for mobile take downs with the crossbow.

So yes the new knives are unreliable something is off. Infact Y-O-U have to stop moving in most cases to get the hits to register. I don't understand it at all. Its almost like when I am too close (or running into them) my strikes are entering into their bodies and not touching the "character model" just the empty space inside of them or something. I really don't know how else to describe it. As of right now there is excellent potential for the new knives in terms of sneaking up to stationary preoccupied targets and taking your sweet time stabbing them. Unfortunately that is not exactly how most combat tends to unfold. The new activation knives remind me of a noob sniper only taking headshots on stationary targets. That is to say your kill potential is rather limited. Maybe that is a good thing who knows but frankly something smells slightly fishy because having to stop moving in order to actually register hits seems wrong to me. Its counter intuitive to run up to someone and just put the brakes on your attack.

Its very possible the new knife is meant to have this drawback and be different. However the description doesn't inform us that anything besides the swing speed is modified. So here we are in the forums discussing this incredibly "touchy" subject. As for me I am just happy the older style knives still behave reasonably well.
    • Up x 4
  6. palto1826

i think the hitbox is fine...ive spent a good amount of time with the new knifes and working around the new mechanic and getting used to it...the only thing i will suggest is maybe changing the animation to better represent what is happening...instead of a swing i would like to see a stab motion coughjustlikebattlefieldbadcompany2cough...sorry, feeling a little under the weather there
    • Up x 1
  7. Rager

target being still? Sure.
    Target running? Nope.

I even got the sprint movement to help get closer. It is just buggy as heck.

It needs help, it is bugged as it is right now. I mean I love the new knife but not on moving targets.

People who say the knife takes skill right now. I'm calling them out now. It works half the time, and even when I see the X like i hit someone with it. They still have full life...I know I hit them.

Buggy knife is buggy.
    • Up x 4
  8. PsyStorm

I have played with it mainly for a day and a half now. It is definitely not reliable and you need reliability when giving up your other weapons.
  9. Spoprockl

I've given the new knife a try, and i'm baffled by the bad results.

Mind you, i've auraxiumed the old knife mostly with a silenced BASR + knife combo, so i know how to hit people with it.

When i was rounding a corner and i knew there was an enemy running my way i almost always successfully pulled off a no-scope + knife kill.

With the new knife it's impossible for me to get kills that way.

Maybe it's meant to only kill stationary targets? If not, please fix it.
    • Up x 1
  10. Rager

The more I play with it the more i'm stressed about it. This thing needs to be hotfixed or talked about more by devs. This knife is broken.
    • Up x 1
  11. iller

When are we ever going to get stuff that's more interesting against moving targets than it is against stationary ones??

There's 2 kinds of game Designers: The ones who recognize that CONSTANT hyperactive ADD suffering idiot panic dancing is not real skill and thus they also put snares and immobes and damage bonuses against airborne/sprinting targets in their metas to create even more counterplay to the "New mobility Meta" (inside joke everyone was talking about last night b/c hit registry is just getting even more ridiculous in general -- also implying there's way more lagswitching being used to counter it). And then there's these COD designers who want the most linear piece of unimaginative twitch garbage you can think of where every single thing we do is dependent on HOW BAD our opponent is rather than how situationally diverse the skill/weapon could be against n00bs who just mash buttons really fast.

I'm sorry, but you don't "balance" melee by making it only work against newbies who move less.
    Especially when your game already has a huge problem with new player retention....
    • Up x 2
  12. NBA JAM

Knives are stupid. There should never have been "quick knifing" in the first place. The fact that the hitbox is "small" as you claim (which its really not) is fine. You shouldn't be able to go Scourge of the Server YOLO mode in infantry fights and quick knife everyone to death. Its stupid.

Knife update made knives SOMEWHAT bearable to deal with. But they're still stupid and ********.

1 shot knife was a dumb idea tho.
    • Up x 1
  13. Rager

I'm so glad you shared your two cents about knives. However, saying the hit box is not small, and acting like knives are dumb...it is hard to take your serious on your judgement of the hit box or knives at all, when you clearly don't like them.

There has been combos crossbow/knife that is pretty much a 2 shot death and other combos that is quick to pull off. The new knife should not be worse than them.
  14. VonStalin

it is really difficult to hit moving person while moving now. Not fun.
    • Up x 1
  15. Veraldrisz

Its not only too small it range hit detection is freaking ridiculous, you need to slightly clip into your enemy target so that the hit detect them now, Nice job to Sony for "Balancing" their game... the Knife before the update was decent and no-one ever complained about them so i guess they just broke up one of their feature again.
  16. TheKhopesh

I agree that the knifing feels far too limited.
    It should have an angled hit chance (with the possible exception to the activatable knives).
  17. LibertyRevolution

Yep, if my knife is now only going to hit on the dot, then it needs to be a stab not a slash animation.
  18. Dudeman325420

Why? You clearly missed your target. I'd love for my AR to hit things that I'm not aiming at, but its never going to happen.
  19. thenewbie

Yesterday I somehow got a kill trade with the knife against another guy who was using a knife.

Logic.
  20. tornflags

[IMG]

Another example. Also, when I kill a moving target with the Ripper, I'm aware that it's just pure luck. No skill involved on my part. People have been practicing knife playstyle for 2 years and we got...this.
    • Up x 1