The best way to hate the game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Inex, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Inex

Is get good at it.

Are there breathing exercises to do? Maybe an MLG mantra I don't know about?

As I've grown more experienced in the game, my standards of success have risen. From the humble beginnings of "Just try not to die instantly this time" of my first weeks, up through "Keep my KDR >1", and on to "Single-handedly destroy all 6 Sundies supporting the TR push" my goals and aspirations have grown.

But I've noticed a dark side to this. I never, ever hated the game as much back then. Sure, I'd get annoyed at these players that seemed to be able to kill me at will. But never was there a raw fury that had me screaming at the walls. And at some relatively harmless stuff too.

Get TK'd by an overzealous Lib? "You blind, basementdwelling MLG-****!"
    Did the pubbies not have your back? "Go back to sucking your mommies teat, **** swilling babies!"
    Rando with 55 FOV run in front of your line of fire, getting you both killed? Consider telling your outfit he's a TK'r and have them spend the next hour tube-camping him.

I've actually seriously considered TK-ing people for having a flashlight out because it was drawing attention to my area.

What has happened to me?
    • Up x 9
  2. TeddyMan56

You just developed a basic competitive nature. You have achieved Success by achieving your goals and enjoyed it so much that you set new goals so that you can continue to feel a that rush of success by achieving them over and over again to keep the good times going and will stop at nothing to do it. Id love to go deeper on why that is but sadly I'm no expert on the human mind.
    • Up x 6
  3. Inex

Your initial reply about my winning addiction was much more fun though. ;)
  4. RIctavius

Honestly this primary issue is that you're mindset is geared towards the concept of constantly achieving better, when really in a reality you should be deflating from the adrenaline rushes (which do happen). Ironic; planetside allows that to occur, you can just walk from one battlefield to the next to compensate and come off the high.

The highs you're experience are instigating your stress levels and frustrations to the point of it exploding out (literally in your case).

HOWEVER on the fun side, please see your nearest medical orderly for a dosage of chill pills.
    • Up x 2
  5. Lemposs

Just a simple question here, do you get angry at the start of playing and people mocking up, or is it after longer periods of time. Because one I can explain, the other is likely a bit more complicated.
  6. AlterEgo

Same happening here, man. Only I am experiencing something worse:
    I feel sad...
    Because this game is no longer "fun." Only enjoyable. This game has suffered from a lack of useful updates, lack of faction specific traits, and more viable differences between weapons. Never shall I leave, oh no. I just... won't play it five hours every non-school day.
    • Up x 2
  7. Problem Officer

You've grown addicted to raising the bar, now you have unrealistic expectations of yourself and others.
    Take a break and do vehicle races, PTS minigames, or trade advice, mentor and platoon lead.
    • Up x 3
  8. Copasetic

Bill Sussman's MLG voice pack for Recursion is the cure for this. Never fails to put a smile on my face.
    • Up x 2
  9. Devrailis

It's probably more common than you think. You're basically a step away from burn out. I've been experiencing the same thing myself the past week, grinding my teeth when I don't meet my session KDR goals, or raging when I see NC with a platoon + worth of bodies and only 3 people are on the control point.

And then we lose the base and NC starts whining about how "OP" VS are. Please.

Take a step back and try to remove yourself from the "competitive" aspect of the game and just do some stuff for fun instead. I tried spending a few sessions doing nothing but flying tricks in my Valkyrie, and had more fun doing it than my entire past day of shooting spandex.
    • Up x 4
  10. TheKhopesh

I find I have a more lighthearted outlook when I die or get royally messed over by the ever-present NC short bus regulars when I listen to soft music.
    It also helps me focus and keep calm without panicking in heated situations.

Some of my favorites are:

and

Be sure to turn the volume down to juuust loud enough that you can hear it both during heated battles and yet not overpoweringly loud while in silent stealthy stalker 1v1 engagements where you need to hear your enemy's footsteps.

I hope this helps you as much as it's helped me in recent PS2 battles! :D
  11. Doc Jim

Glad I'm not the only one with these issues. I'm known as the foulmouthed Englishman in my German outfit.
    • Up x 1
  12. HWCommander

PS2 is a great game.. sry was a great game. I play it every day but I'm done with it!
    Since the last patch its not fun anymore..
    Bugs Glitches and first of all these Cheaters!!
    If someone says there are no cheater or hacker is a liar.
    After 20 years gaming experiences I know when a game is infected with them.
    And PS2 is!!!
    Unfortunately I like playing it but not this way.

Maybe c ya all if the game ged rid of these people
  13. Bindlestiff

Most of our outfit have been playing PS2 for so long if you heard us on TS you would question why we even play the game anymore.

And yet we still do.
    • Up x 1
  14. Iridar51

Yeah, the more you care about stats / other personal performance metric, the harder it is to have fun while playing. There are just too damn many variables in PS2 outside your control that can lead to your death.

It's not like in Chess, where every mistake is yours to make.

The best way to handle this is to set your own performance metric, that you know for sure depends only on you. For example, infantry combat is what's important to me, so if I wanted to measure my gunplay performance, I'd write down the ratio of won/lost 1 v 1 duels against BR100s or something along those lines.
    • Up x 1
  15. Klypto

I know of some BR100's that are pretty trash as infantry, like worse than the average AOD bot.

Better to just use Recursion and Dasanfall.
  16. Iridar51

Naturally. I meant not every BR100, just those who I know are good at infantry. Thought this was obvious.
  17. thenewbie

This. Also replacing every death streak sound effect with Homer Simpsons "Do'h"
  18. Rovertoo

I had the same thing with Dark Souls. Love the game, but the game was most fun on the first play-through, when I was just terrible at it. Took me a few days to beat the first boss. Then on my second and third playthrough it was a cakewalk. I had learned how to play and how to avoid damage so it just wasn't the same challenge. I had to gi mp myself in order to get the same kind of 'overcome adversity' feel that it was like in the beginning.

So of course that's an option for you! You can gi mp yourself somehow. Relegate yourself to some class other than HA or Medic, so long lasting sprees are harder to come by, or maybe use a particularly UP weapon. Burst variants maybe, or some ridiculous combo like an Auto-shotty with slugs.

Of course to me those seem like pretty big limits. Of course I'm saying that when I'm still in the 'bad-at-the-game" stage, so I have plenty of fun getting a few kills before dying.

EDIT: Er....

G I M P is crossed out?
  19. WTSherman

They've got a problem with Gnu Image Manipulation Program? :p
    • Up x 1
  20. Inex

Was defending against a push like that a few days ago. Managed to take out 4 Sundies and 2 Valks in a sweep of the base to remove enemy spawns. Unfortunately, nobody managed to get on the point while I was out so we lost it anyway.

Then we lost the next base the same way.

We almost lost the next base too, because the team couldn't manage to take down a single Sundy with two Mags and a Liberator. (trivia: this was my first fight working with the Orion again after spending a year Auraxing the LSW. Please be aware, the LSW isn't as good as the Orion)

Or the push a couple days later where we managed to lose 4 bases in a row (including a Tech) despite having 2-1 pop advantage the whole time? It can make you crazy to successfully mine-bomb Sundy after Sundy and yet the rest of your team can't hold a single door.

Beat you to that punch. I rarely ever spawn more than a few times in a row as a single class, as I usually have some goal best accomplished by a particular combo - LA/Shotty, Engi/Mines, Infil/BASR, Skyguard, AV Harasser or something along those lines. I can't imagine how those people who main a single class do it. It just seems so boring to be doing exactly the same thing for hours a day, week after week - even if you are doing it really well.

This I might have to do. I used to do things like pull Sundies to push lanes. There doesn't seem to be a good way to do that though. I either deploy early to try and catch the Redeploy crowd, and get swarmed by enemies already at the base; or I start up after the capture and basically everybody else has already moved on to some other fight (probably on Indar).

Now most of the time I find myself hitting redeploy and checking my certs/hour. :(