[Suggestion] Remove AP rounds ability to OHK infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LibertyRevolution, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Kulso

Nothing can be more braindead than Vehicleside kid. But, whatever go cry some more on these forums. And you can't tell anybody to be good without being good yourself. And no, it wasn't a toughtful post, it was just excesive whining and crying. Sorry kid, try again.
  2. FBVanu

Sorry about that, ...I should have added the "joke" and "sarcasm" signs for everyone to understand..... usually though it is quite obvious when one takes an issue to the extreme opposite , and then even plays with the laws of physics and planetary rotation, by referring to gravity as something that can take a "hold".. as that implies that is could otherwise "let go".... but, again, I digress...
    And I thought I made my point perfectly clear.... :rolleyes: I will try to be more precise the next time.
  3. FBVanu

Hey now... leave my jimmies out of it..... :cool:
  4. QuantumSerpent

Vehicleside? Can't say I've heard that one before.

Tell me, what's more braindead--the idea that an armored tank with massive, heavy guns should be able to OHK infantry, or the idea that a little chunk of meat can survive a round designed to pierce tank armor?

(Again, I don't use vehicles much--I'm more often the guy eating the AP round than the guy shooting it)
    • Up x 4
  5. Kulso

So, you're telling me you've never seen Air and Armor completely just shut you down and keep you in the spawn rooms, while 3 or 4 infantry sit on the node sipping tea?
  6. Kulso

JIMMIES! :D
  7. Hatesphere

that might have been his desired point, but its still not right they way he said it, sarcastic or not.

also:

your math and logic is not completely right. drop something right now, it will fall further then 1cm in .3 seconds

the simplified formula for calculating the dropped distance of an object over a small distance (assuming the tank shell has no lift and is fired horizontal)

d=1/2g*t^2
    d= distance
    g=constent of gravity
    t= time
    so thats about

(1/2)(9.81)*(0.3)^2 = aprox 0.44m or 44 cm

at one second we get

(1/2)(9.81)*(1)^2 = 4.9m

so yes a tanker will have to worry a bit hear and there, but on most occasions the barrel is slanted upward slightly to compensate for this immediate drop (trading forward energy for "lift" essentially"), weapon sites are almost never zeroed at the horizontal and instead intersect the parabolic arc at a desired location to make hitting targets easier, such as 300-500m for standard infantry arms in many cases in real life.Planetside on the other hand seems to have all sights lined up directly with the horizontal path of the barrel instead of lined up with the desired rang of target.

[IMG]

Poe's law strikes again.
    • Up x 3
  8. QuantumSerpent

Many times, but that only happens if a set of conditions are met:
    1. We have no friendly air power.
    2. We have no friendly armor.
    3. We have utterly and miserably failed to defend the base in the infantry battle.

In other words, we'd be losing even if AP rounds only did 500 damage.

Armor does not compensate for infantry strength. It can't. Ultimately, taking the point is an infantry versus infantry affair. On the ground battles in between, armor is the primary force, yes, but all it really does is help get infantry to the point. And if the armor is able to pound the spawn room directly and with enough strength to have any real effect, the defenders have long since lost.
    • Up x 1
  9. haniblecter

op an idiot, nothing to see here, move on
  10. TriumphantJelly

This whole thread made me unsure of the difference between laughing out loud and crying with hatred: Also provided me with an amusing read. To OP: No.
    • Up x 7
  11. MrJengles

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Would that be something worth adding to the game do you think? Maybe as an attachment just so players can choose their preference and understand what's going on.
  12. MrJengles

I didn't read the thread, could someone tell me whether flak armor has been mentioned?

I get wanting to keep OHK but keep in mind how the game encourages us towards AI load outs by keeping the power of the alternatives (MAX AV weapons and AT rockets, for example) in check. A lot of tankers currently feel that AP is a good all rounder specifically because it retains some anti-infantry capabilities.

Would it be all that bad if infantry wearing flak armor survived an AP round, but all others remained OHK? I think that would be more consistent with specialization tradeoffs and the game's current direction regarding balance.

That said, I also think HEAT and HE need a bit of splash returned and tanks could do with a weak co-axial machine gun.
  13. Flag

It's more that the HEAT guns have been nerfed to the point of not doing enough to warrant using them over AP. AP still needs direct hits as the splash is basically non-existent.
    This only became the case when they removed the 1 cycle splash kill from the HEAT guns.

AP... isn't really all-round, rather than it being the vehicle hunter's gun of choice, with HEAT now being less of a competitor than it used to be.
    • Up x 1
  14. I play by many names

The amount of vehicle crutcher tears in this thread were mind boggling.
  15. Whatupwidat

So, you're telling me you've never seen an armoured column with air support reduced to smouldering wreckage by engineer turrets and MAXes?
    • Up x 2
  16. MrJengles

Yeah, it's SOE's pendulum balancing. Hopefully the splash will end up somewhere in the middle.

Still, even the old HEAT gun never seemed that attractive if you could land the direct hits. I'm not saying this is the only solution to further differentiate the 3 tank cannons but, given the controversial nature of this thread, I was bringing up the middle-ground option and precedence for this type of balance.

I also saw someone suggest that HEAT and HE should do more damage against light armor, basically reverse the resistances with a bit of tweaking.
  17. Ronin Oni

And you've never seen the same thing done with Infantry?

Or lines of infantry AV shredding massive vehicle zergs?

This game favors infantry more than anything.
    • Up x 3
  18. Bloodlet

AP is fine and I mostly play infantry. Stop always trying to nerf everything because you died to it.
    • Up x 2
  19. Sixstring

But that doesn't count see because infantry are the victims and the vehicles (who are actually doing their jobs) are big meanies. And when infantry farm tanks it's only to make sure they themselves don't get farmed so it's justified. It's not like this game is about capturing bases and using force multipliers to do so. And furthermore we should all let the infantry out of the spawn room to AV spam our paper tanks and ruin our entire push BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT'S FAIR! /s That seems to be the the way the devs think and feel

In all seriousness I do blame the devs for letting people stay in the spawnroom in the first place once the spawn room is camped,responsible devs would have forced the players to use outlying sunderers and other vehicles at that point to be effective rather than just stay in the spawn room and be COMPLETELY useless.
  20. Ronin Oni

We had SCU's once upon a time.

People cried cause they couldn't redeploy save bases in the last 30 seconds.