MAXes are nothing but easy KD padding tools that make infantry combat suck for everyone else

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bonmortical, Dec 4, 2014.

1. SavageCrayon

Well I still think that only really good max players are as accurate or dangerous and you make out and tbh, if they are accurate and good at positioning then that just means they are a good player, it doesn't mean anything is unfair. I have encountered so few maxes in my entire ps2 career that weren't simple to take down. I respect good max players and then I try everything in the book until I have killed them, mostly for the good of my team.

Flak armour is decent, but c4 still packs a punch and we have bullets too. I main HA because I like the versatility of the class. If I run into a tough max or i don't have c4, I use a concussion grenade (if equiped) and spam him with my lmg. Even without a concussion grenade I jump around trying to put as many bullets in his head as possible before I die and 9/10 times i get 'extreme menace kill assist' moments later.

It's simple really, maxes are not OP. Learn to use the equipment and tactics available. Remember: HUGE MECH DUDE WITH DUAL MINIGUNS WILL OWN YOUR FACE IF YOU LET HIM. DON'T LET HIM. Only an idiot dies endlessly to the same thing.
  2. Schwak

After over 90m xp I'd say I've done more then been around the block so yes, my mind is made up. I've seen what people with MAXs do, I've done what I see what people with MAXs do. Trying to defend them is about at the same level as defending vehicle anti infantry weapons. They are literally farming vehicles that can be brough through a doorway, its dumb. They need to have their offensive capabilities severely cut back against infantry and their health pool increased for them to actually fill their roles as bullet sponges.
    • Up x 4
  3. Bobman23

If you say so. I'll continue to enjoy farming them with C4.
    • Up x 1
  4. Schwak

By all means please do.
  5. LibertyRevolution

Yep, lets remove maxes AI weapons and replace them with a big 2 handed shield that absorbs like 4000 damage.

Let the Max unit lead the fire teams charge into the point room as the tanking unit, just their to be a bullet sponge.
    That would be a better way for a team based game to play than pulling 30 maxes and to rush the point using "tactical superiority"...

You can only farm bads with C4...
    Anyone that has a clue how to use a max won't be within 10m of anywhere you can toss C4.

Please post your character's name, I would like to take a look at your stats.
  6. Bobman23

Thus limiting the number of enemy MAX's present, and helping my faction. And Connery is full of them. Also, a C4 Wraith is pretty good at getting the ones who can't be approached on foot easily. It takes a little longer (especially trying to navigate your way through buildings), but shoving a VBIED up their as* is quite satisfying.
  7. Cavadus

I can't believe people are having this much trouble with MAXes. You'd think by the time one has multiple BR100s they'd have figured the game out.

I'm BR50 with just a single character and I figured how to take down a MAX by BR10. There's no secret to it all. I also accept the fact that when it comes to CQB inside of buildings it's okay to lose to a MAX; that's kind of specifically what they're designed for.

I'm guessing the OP was probably one of the same people QQing about MBTs which now have zero durability and get their ***** handed to them by backwards Sunderers. Oh, and only have a single turret (AP) worth a damn now too.

If you can't handle a MAX just go play an infantry only lobby shooter. Almost every vehicle in this game has been robbed of performance so a bunch of morons with carbines running around on foot can obliterate them in just a few seconds.

I would have loved to have seen some of these chumps in the original Planetside where vehicles and MAXes were actually vehicles and MAXes. Y'all would have **** yourselves and rage-quit after half an hour.
    • Up x 3
  8. SavageCrayon

You and Schwak say that a maxes 'role' is to be a 'bullet sponge' and nothing more as if that it was they were originally designed to be. In your fantasies this is their role.

It's true that bad maxes are easy to C4. Decent maxes can still be C4'd. Good maxes can also be C4'd, it's just harder because they are good. People should not be punished by nerfs for being good. Teamwork also defeats any max. Jeez, you'd think maxes were incarnate gods the way you whine about them.

Oh and btw dude...I wouldn't bring stats into this to support your argument...yours are f*cking terribad for someone with your game time. Before you say I am afraid to post mine, my username here is the same as my main TR account on Miller.
  9. Xasapis

One of the coolest things you can do in this game as a heavy is go for MAX hunting.
  10. Rogueghost

Implying playing as max takes any skill.

In a sense the game needs maxes to be able to end some of this games 98+ cluster **** fights, but it doesn't make them any less of a low risk high reward play style, which is what irks people so much, especially when you have some players with +40% max play time. They are a necessary evil, but it doesn't mean I should have any respect for those that "main" them.
  11. iller

Draw out their TTK .... and give them more Survival options to compensate.**
    Focus them on being a Breaching / Tanking / Extraction / Utility support platform instead of just a 0.4s TTK AI-chainsaw

** - Add a type of AP-ammo for BASR / Scout / BattleRifles so the role of snipers extends to pressuring MAXes camping in the the field. Also copy the reduced Repair-Efficacy on Valkyries, and apply that to all Engineers who are constantly moving around in place while repairing stuff to put the brakes on risk-free field repair behavior
  12. SavageCrayon

You are correct. It is easy to get some kills as a max, but then it is also easy to kill a max. The 'skill' involved in playing a max well is more to do with positioning and situational awareness. When that guy mentioned 'bad' maxes, i assumed he was talking about the ones who are totally oblivious and let you walk up to them across open ground for 40 m to c4 them.

I agree that there is possibly a problem with cost/reward though. I previously hadn't considered maxes in the context of people who 'main' maxes. I think that the problem here is not inherent to the max itself but a result of the abundant resources we are currently given. You should not be able to instantly respawn a max every time you lose it.
  13. Schwak

The very fact that its easy to kill people and farm with MAXs is the counter argument to its easy till kill MAXs. Its easier for them to kill you and kill you in numbers then it is for you to kill them. There is a reason you see people like MAXArmar with a 80KD MAX account, its easy to kill people and not be killed. All it takes is equipting flak armor and you wont die to 1 C4, anyone dying to 2 C4 in an AI MAX are just bad and have really poor situational awareness/tunnel vision. I understand you enjoy your little farm machine, but that doesn't mean its all fine and dandy.
  14. silver032

I like how people complain about units or things being op in a massive military shooter. War is not meant to be fair. Did you ever play battlefield 1942 which essentially is the god father of this style of games ? Yeah the person who got the tank or got onto the right 50 cal was stomping people for a little while. Then people would catch on and blow up the tAnk or snipe the gunner. Same thing with maxes. If someone wants to spend 9 minutes of resources on a max , let them stomp around for a bit or at least until they come across a skilled HA or a c4 thrower
    • Up x 2
  15. Tyrant103

I agree with this, and most people I see using it are people with high BRs.
    Same goes for PPA, banshees, ZOE pre-nerf, Liberator pre-nerf etc

IMO you should just use the Max yourself, have some fun, SOE aren't very bothered.

And you might as well **** on other peoples fun, it's very entertaining.
  16. SoldierHobbes

I personally don't have a problem with AI Max suits. They're simply a challenge to be conquered like anything in the game. Also MAXes are techincally VEHICHLES so treat them as such. Use a little strategy, get some help or sprinkle some magic of the C4 fairy on them. It's also funny to kill AI maxes with AP shells or running them over in my Magrider. It's always funny seeing their chaingun/shotgun rounds bounce helplessly off my tank. That or sticking one with an AV grenade is always hilarious.
  17. Hoki

AA from within spawn shields. OP anti-vehicle weapons platform that cannot be kept dead without infantry dominance.
  18. Shatteredstar

I find MAX units too squishy myself. You become SUCH A TARGET in one that really even with Flak maxed it seems like I'm attracting every bullet, shell, and explodey thing around. Then again I"m guily of throwing anything I got at max units I see also.

Acting like a MAX is this end all be all of a platform is silly, they cost MORE resources than many vehicles which can survive alot more punishment (I think ESFs and Lightnings actually cost LESS? I am infantry/max too often to know for sure). They don't mount any weapons with near the potency or have the maneuverability/speed of their similarly costing brethren, and they CERTAINLY don't have the durability of a lighting or even a harasser really.

If you're trying to 1v1 a max sure you're gonna lose, but I can say from experience also, if you start facing 2-3 people at once, that max armor starts to not help as much as you wish it could.

These sort of gripes about maxes really make me wonder how people managed to play Planetside 1, back when MAX units were surprisingly tough by comparison. When I first started Planetside 2 way back I was amazing at how much less durable they were.

If you see a max, use explosives, they are resistant to bullets. Good maxes will bug out if things get too hairy, don't chase them. MAX units aren't known for their sustained speed, so you've got free time while he goes looking for an engy to repair or goes back to spawn.

AI maxes break stalemates, AV maxes provide a way to break vehicles (more) effectively if you can't get your own out, and AA maxes need some love but still dual burster maxes are the only thing short of a skyguard that I know of that can deter air to any decent degree and even then good pilots can tend to outplay them.
    • Up x 1
  19. Shatteredstar

I don't see why. Snipers are ment to deter infantry and help to suppress them by making them unwilling to stand still/take up positions to use heavy weapons like the engy turret/standing still with lockons or bunching up calmly with a slow push. HA is the thing ment to deal with a vehicle/armored target as is engy given their equipment and they do it. LA can via C4 to some degree but that is more a tactical option to go with their ability to move about the battlefield, so they get kinda a smattering of various stuff.

Infils are 100% dedicated to recon and long range infantry suppression/kill/disruption (via sniping or via hacking), giving them anything to threaten harder targets more than before would be silly, not to mention you'd be going back toward PS1 style ammo swapping which they seemed to go away from rather sharply when they didn't include AV round ammo for any infantry (except giving HA a launcher)
  20. Ironclad Lion

I just don't even understand the problem. One max costs 450 resources. It is literally a walking tank. It should be treated with the same response. If you saw 5 MBTs coming towards you, what would you do? Charge at them? No, you would have to think for a second on how to kill them.

Seriously, Maxs are simply infantry tanks. I for one farm much better in an MBT vs. mindless infantry. If you don't do anything to counter them and there is an engineer repairing them, then you are going to have one hell of a problem.

Get yourselves together arnd realize that maxs are on the same level and cost as tanks and should be treated as such. They are not 'OP'. They are purposefully stronger than normal infantry.

I really shouldn't have to explain this.
    • Up x 3