MAXes are nothing but easy KD padding tools that make infantry combat suck for everyone else

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bonmortical, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Klabauter8

And people wonder why the game gets not enough new content... You guys are really complaining about everything here...

Imo, MAX units are fun as **** and should stay the way they are. I just think they also should be able to fire in two directions at once. Would be hard to pull this off, but it'd be possible on a rather simple level, like having a button to switch between left and right weapon and like this being able to aim with them seperately, for example. Perhaps a little auto-aim wouldn't hurt there.
  2. Captain Kid

agreed. You finally made it to the 10% of the game where snipers can't one shot you and tanks cant' shell you and some ******* two shots you at 20 meters. It's a ******** game mechanic because I can NOT SEE if the max is carrying long or short range weapons.
    I round a corner, I see a max at 10 meters, I throw a sticky nade at the cheap br100 sad person but I die because he has fitted himself with longer range weapons.

In Planetside 1 maxes were reasonably balanced. King at short range. Crap at 10 plus meters.
    In fact I would say shotgun users now have the role of the Planetside 1 maxes.
    And maxes have transformed to some unbalanced crap. The stupid thing is it is not even fun playing a max. So it sucks for both sides.
  3. Schwak

So your solution to this problem is GIT GUD or throw more numbers at them. You seem to be imagining some kind of fantasy scenario where a max is all by himself with no support. There is a reason why people whine about MAXs. 1 engineer makes it physically impossible to kill them without C4 unless you can pick off the engineer that is cowering behind a wall while his MAX buddy bathes in certs. They can be revived. Why is this a thing. It's pretty much a vehicle and I don't see any other vehicles in the game being revivable. The resource cost is almost a non issue between Hossin caps that reduce the price by half and again, THEY ARE REVIVABLE. It wasn't so bad before they nerfed AV grenades because you could actually bounce them off walls into the corners where these pathetic players are hiding but nope. Now if you throw a AV grenade at a door frame it just drops straight down.
    Please tell me more fairy tales about how you slay the MAX suits with ease without dying.
    • Up x 2
  4. Zedex

Yeah, MAXes are just so super uber powerful that you just cant kill them with LMG or even pistol... Lets remove them from the game!
    Now its gonna be so great! But wait a minute... Air units still can decimate several soldiers and retreat almost unharmed! Thats not a problem of course because we can remove air from the game as well: No more rocketpodding or Lib bombing! Everybody wins except pilots, but who cares about them anyway?
    Still we have tanks and they have so much armor and are invincible to bullets, we dont like being farmed by tanks so definetly a removal!
    Now its almost perfect, though Heavy still has shield, Medics can revive soldeirs that we just killed, Infiltrator can snipe us from long range or kill us from behind with stealth, plus pesky LA shooting from above and dropping C4s - thats definetly not fair. With engineers not required anymore, as we have nothing to repair, lets remove all classes and make one generic soldier with a dozen of guns without any special abilities, now we have a perfect game!
    /*Sarcasm mode off*/

If you think that coordination of different classes, air and ground tech in order to succeed is bad for a good gameplay, and your KD is all that matters then uninstall Planetside and go to Quake deathmatch.
    • Up x 4
  5. Covah

MAX can be annoying bu they are necessary.

They are not so OP as people like to think.

They can be killed fairly easily.
  6. Matti

Agree!
  7. BengalTiger

To put things into perspective:
    Such a MAX is more resistant to C4 than a stock Harasser (which pretty much goes boom), and is just as resistant as a tank.

That's comparable to a Sundy, which is the tankiest ground vehicle in game...

To give a larger perspective:
    The MAX can be revived, contrary to vehicles.

And finally:
    Infantry can avoid vehicles by using tight passages, going inside buildings and ducking behind cover where vehicles can't reach.
    None of these apply to avoiding MAX units.

The MAX is an indoor vehicle with the ability to be brought back to life like an infantry unit. Best of both worlds.

Either make a gap between MAXes and vehicles in terms of damage resistance, or make MAXes impossible to revive.
    • Up x 3
  8. VonStalin

game would be much better without maxes.
    • Up x 1
  9. Saool

For many this is true. However for good players the MAX poses little challenge at all. They use tactics and the right weapons to take out MAXes without breaking a sweat. I'm frequently taken out in a MAX by skilled heavies using their surroundings and a rocket launcher, or by a skilled LA with C4.

They don't come here to the forums. They just get the job done.

But like I said, they are the skilled players.
  10. Nasher

MAXes are fine. A fully kitted out HA is more powerful than AI MAX really. If your a noob then MAXes seem really powerful because they can take a lot of hits from a rifle.
  11. SavageCrayon

Sorry mate, but I really don't understand this argument. You are saying that new players might get owned sometimes when they meet a powerful unit. Well....obviously? How could it ever be any other way? If they get frustrated so easily then tbh that is their problem. I was a new player once. No-one talked me through my early days, I discovered everything for myself. If new players start playing a game expecting to be instantly capable of playing like an experienced player then they are deluded.

Not to mention that learning to deal with the different units and situations in a new game IS THE GAME. This is one of the main reasons we play games.
  12. SavageCrayon

So including a greater variety of unit types and tactics in an infantry fight makes it more bland...I see...

Also, you think only tryhards can kill a max....
    • Up x 2
  13. SavageCrayon

But I like fighting against maxes....I don't want to remove it from the game
    • Up x 2
  14. MotionBlured

Why are YOU fighting a MAX with no support? MAXs need support to live longer than 5 minutes, and if they need help, normal infantry definitely should need help to kill them.
    • Up x 1
  15. Dieter Perras

Let me break it down further then. To new players Planetside 2 is very very hard to get into. There's so much that you need to learn in a short time span that most new players I've seen playing just get killed over and over again until they get frustrated and quit.
    The biggest issue with the above two things I mentioned is that head shot multipliers aren't obvious so many new players (at least the ones I talked too) don't even realize that's the reason they die so fast. All they see is that the enemy max just killed them in seconds and that when they pulled a max it took far, longer to down an enemy.

But this is not the major issue as by itself something like this could easily be a learning experience as you say however there are just so many things in Planetside 2 that frustrate new players that in my opinion at least we should at least try to lessen some of them.
  16. Cavadus

Geez, if anything MAXes need an across-the-board small arms resistance buff. They barely survive longer than most HAs. Pretty much all AI variants are geared towards pretty close range already. NC with the slugthrower can engage to about 40m max. TR with mercies... probably about the same. Vanu... I don't know **** about Vanu so I won't comment on them.

But PS2 MAXes are weak. MAXes were much stronger in PS1. So were all vehicles tbh.
    • Up x 1
  17. SavageCrayon

I can sort of see where you are coming from, but I really don't think removing a unit type from a game or nerfing the hell out of it to make the game easier for noobies is the way forward. A much more direct way of dealing with the issues you raised is to provide better tutorials so that new players can understand maxes' strengths and weaknesses.

When I was a noob the most frustrating thing in the game was learning about when and where to spawn. By that I mean which fights are won or lost already, where you are going to die as soon as you leave the spawnroom and also how to actually capture a large base. How to fight different classes/vehicles etc did not bother me because I assumed (correctly it turns out) that you require different equipment and tactics to defeat them.

The fact that it is a lack of knowledge which is leading to frustration and not the fact that a unit is OP means that the knowledge gap needs to be addressed if anything, not the unit.

Also, your example is not only true of maxes. When I was a noob I found it really hard to kill enemy tanks, yet whenever I spawned one it seemed to be made out of paper. I eventually realised how and when to engage with my tank and became much better at using it. It did not mean that all PS2 tanks should be nerfed to make my score better when I started out.

Finally, I was never so frustrated by being a noob that I quit the game and neither were any of you. If we didn't go 'ah what's the point' and quit when we didn't instawin a new game then why would others? And if they do....so what? That really is their problem. A game cannot cater for people who want to pick up an FPSMMO and just 'be better' than people who are experienced. This is impossible in every area of life. I'd like to add that all of my mates who picked up the game did not quit when they were noobs either.
  18. Bobman23

Definitely not fairy tales, you just have to stop and think a little. It probably also helps that I avoid rushing straight at them, and look for alternate routes and blind spots.

You seem to have your mind made up, though, so my effort is wasted on you.
  19. Bingabong

Oh look, an infantry player wants something non infantry to be nerfed or removed from the game. Boring! Nothing new here. Moving on.
  20. Dieter Perras

I never said that maxes should be removed or nerfed I stated that the headshot multiplier and their ability to drastically reduce the effectiveness of their major counter (C4) were the only two things I had a problem with when it comes to maxes.

While I enjoy the head shot multiplier because it adds depth to the combat I find that when it comes to maxes the head shot multiplier creates a huge discrepancy in TTK and effectiveness. While the same might be said for a very accurate heavy the problem is that the max has a lot of resistance and can be challenging to take down normally.

My problem with flak armor on the other hand is that it mitigates the direct counter to maxes.

My thought is not to nerf things because that doesn't make the game better, rather we need to try and think of ways to make things that are normally frustrating more engaging for both players involved. As it stands currently far to little thought is put into how the victim feels when a certain weapon or item is used on or against them in this game.

:confused: Every one of my friends has.