Redeployside: this must stop NOW.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OldMaster80, Nov 26, 2014.

1. OldMaster80

This is absolutely the worst thing SOE did to Planetside 2. This is far beyond balancement issues and bugs. This is a completely broken mechanic that gets exploited at every freaking alert, and it's much more frustrating than the old hex map, by getting instagibbed or not understanding from you got shot. In Planetside 1 such a stupid idea would have NEVER EVER been take in consideration.

5 minutes ago on Indar, during Esamir alert 3 squads using Galaxies patiently dropped in the Impact Site. Destroyed the spawn beacons, hacked terminals, splitted people to cover all the capture points, sent some to cover the vehicle bay. That was a well organized attack, and VS just retired instead of fighting.

30 seconds before to cap the base population passed from 93% vs 7% to 25% vs 75%. They only relied on numbers and magic Cancel button that makes you spawn your safe room in 10 seconds. They used no Galaxies, no Valkyrie, no Sunderer. They teleported from Saerro to Impact Site, steamrolled everyone, then teleported back to the previous battle.

Good job SOE, a very deep, interesting and strategic approach to battles: punish those who plan their strategy, reward the biggest platoons that use the magic teleporter, make transport vehicles even more useless. We already have enough issues with lack of metagame, postponed features, un-finished stuff, without any need for this kind of bu***hit that mortify your players.

I've been your customer for more than 10 years and survived also the SWG disaster, I've always loved PS1 and PS2 but there is no way you can convince me to throw more money in this game as long as you don't change this crap.
    • Up x 38
  2. FocusLight

Going to have to agree. This happens all the time, and out of need my own outfit does this all the time. The only time we pull Galaxies is if a specific approach or tactic requires it.

Then again my outfit usually never get more than 2 full squads going at any one time. Our highest peak so far was 30 people online at once - 2 and a half squads worth of people.

So as much as we do this to deal with any battles during alerts that we can, we also see this done to us all the time.

There have been several alerts where whole platoons of VS will re-deploy on top of us, overwhelm one location with the whole force, then re-deploy to another site to cap that once they ensured they had enough time left that we had to remain to secure the base for longer. Once the timer got close to complete they would return again, zerg the cap-point and then disappear again to repeat the process on some other base.

This kills any finesse from any of these fights. There is little point trying to cover your angles and lock-down a base when 3 times your numbers can land on you at any time and overwhelm you at any time. The re-deploy limiter to some locations only slightly mitigate this.

Honestly I think this game would be far better off if you can only re-deploy instantly to your WG, like now, and any major facility on a 10-second timer or so at all other times. If you want to save outposts, you will have to drive or fly or run there on foot.

Make logistics matter.
    • Up x 3
  3. Morpholine

It's counter-able, when you know it's coming. They'll spawn in all as infantry, after all.

After having something nearly identical to the above happen twice in the same push, my outfit decided to fight cheese with cheese.

When the 96+ spawned in a third time and rushed for the point, we were waiting with a large force of AI-equipped tanks. Sure, they flipped the point for a few seconds, but their push died VERY quickly.

Sure, it felt dirty spawn camping the original defenders with all that AI cheese, but breaking the back of that Reseployside meta more than made up for it.
    • Up x 9
  4. Alarox

I just want to go to the most enjoyable/lucrative fights as quickly as possible.

I guess I'm literally Hitler.
    • Up x 7
  5. NLLN

Yes, but we shouldn't have to counter it. Also I don't like turning this into a faction specific thing, everyone does it. I'm at an alert right now on Miller, and with 45 minutes left, I'm just redeploying to battle after battle because everyone will suddenly disappear after one side manages to redeploy a larger number of people. So very frustrating and kills the flow of the game.

Edit: I too redeploy a lot outside of alerts, because I don't want to have to use a vehicle to drive a long distance, I'd rather let some sundy driver do that for me, I think that option should stay, but maybe increase the timer a few minutes or so.
  6. Morpholine

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that it's a problem.

The trouble is we DO want people to be able to quickly get to a fight to reinforce it. We just don't want several platoons' worth doing so at once.

This is every bit as bad (and frankly easier to coordinate) as the old Enclave steel rain bull ****.
    • Up x 3
  7. axiom537

/Agree

Redeploying needs a cost associated with it. Personally, I would like a time cost rather then a cert cost.

My suggestions

- Redeploying backwards along a lattice lane all the way to the warpgate, should work just like it does now. This will allow players to defend back caps and/or allow them to pull vehicles from the warpgate.
    - Redeploying to a different lattice lane should cost time. That time should be determined, by the time it would take for a Galaxy to fly from the Warpgate to the desired location.
    - Redeploying should be placed on a 5 minute timer.

While these aren't perfect fixes, they still allow players to redeploy. However, there is a cost in time associated with redeploying and this will help deter it from being used in the manor it is currently.

Logistics needs to matter. The attackers need logistics to make an assault on a base, the defenders if they are not present should as well...
  8. Bloodlet

I agree that it gets old. If they could make it so that you could redeploy to even out fights without suddenly overpopping the attackers who were previously ghost capping a base then I would be ok with that. I would also like to tie into redeploying something along the lines of resource costs as well as perhaps bringing back some of the PS1 mechanics where you could only redeploy by physically taking your character to certain locations in a base so you couldn't just be out in the field and redeploy on a whim.
  9. Imperial Sect

So you wait Waitside 2...no thank you. If I gotta sit around and wait all the time, I'll just find a new game to play, as I suspect many many many others would.
  10. Bloodlet

And no tears would be shed. Some (most) of us want to play Planetside, not space CoD.
    • Up x 10
  11. Ronin Oni

Counterable by an unyeilding overpowered spawn room camp only.

SCU's would be a HUGE fix IMO.

I'd also overhaul redeployside entire. NO BASE that is under attack (cap point flipped, and/or not fully owned by defending faction) should be able to be "deployed to" (Respawning in the hex obviously allowed)

Instead, the base 1 base back is available.

Then make it so ANY base that is not under attack (no "timer" or capture progress bar) can be spawned at.

Simple. Efficient. Logical.
    • Up x 7
  12. Yuukikun

Why is it so hard for ppl to understand that if 150 players go to a single base, they are not anywhere else during that time? If you have 40 guys keeping 150 busy, that means the rest of you faction has to fight that much less resistance.

I love those people who ''want massive scale wars'' but as soon as their little squad gets caught up in it they suddenly hate it.

Trick for victory: split your platoon and attack 3 bases. You lose one attack to the massive deploy zerg, you cap 2 bases.

Want fair fights? In an alert cont the pops are capped at 33% each so it is fair and the best way to lose an alert is to have all your team's pop at a single base. That means that if your lil ghost cap squad brought a whole zerg, stop complaining because you're actually a bait for your team.
    • Up x 2
  13. Ronin Oni

Except that redeployside allows the 1 massive zerg to move in and stomp all 3 forces one after the other.

I've watched it happen on the battle map during alerts before.

Emerald VS in particular are amazing at using redeployside to incredible (game-breaking) advantage.

The only thing you can do is to have your own huge zerg force counter redploysiding at which point the game becomes shockingly familiar with old hex system ring-around-the-rosey/whack-a-mole but without actual transport.
    • Up x 5
  14. FBVanu

15. donkeykong9000

+1, it should cost nanites and the relative amount should increase as more people are deploying to a particular location.
  16. HadesR

^ Both as bad as each other .. And both need addressing ...

Hopefully the RR helps stem the tide of people zerging bases 100 vs 12 then complaining when reinforcements show up ..

That's not to say redeployside doesn't need changing, but it needs to go hand in hand with other changes and is not a standalone problem ...
  17. Bearlover

Make it so that you cannot redeploy during alerts, so that people that actually want to fight in strategic battles using tactics, timed attacks can enjoy the game. And those that enjoy redeploying can still play in non-alert continents. Population, actual tactics and player skill are some of many factors that determine the outcome of battles, but everyone knows that population plays the better hand.

Appease 2 different types of players, the one who enjoys strategy and the one who just want to get to battle the quickest way. Also this will lessen faction hatred to an extent and decrease using the " you have more pop" argument.
    • Up x 1
  18. bubbacon

Yeah, its bad and needs to be tweaked badly. What do you guys think about redeploys disabled during Alerts?
  19. BravoTangoTR

I agree in principle with the OP, but there are limited options here. If the devs place greater restrictions on when and where people can redeploy, there would be a lot of pushback. It would be very frustrating to not be able to move around the map to get to battles given the way the game is currently structured.

Rather than restricting redeploys through game mechanics, there needs to be incentive to not redeploy, i.e., some reason to fight along one particular lattice. As long as the server is not full, there will always be population imbalances, but giving factions the right incentive to distribute their forces across the map in a way that matches up with enemy forces will go a long way to helping out. In order for this to happen, capping and defending bases has to mean something, not only to the player, but to the faction. The day the devs solve this problem is the day Planetside 2 might actually realize its full potential.
  20. OldMaster80

Alerts basically ask you to capture as much territory as possible within a certain time. In this scenario NOTHING is as efficient as a free mass teleporter. Using redeploy gives you high chances to lock the continent.
    How do you expect people not to use it?
    • Up x 1