[Video] State of the game, statistics, zergs and farming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Matti, Oct 28, 2014.

1. SerasVic

No meta-game
    No statistics
    No fight for territory dominance

only FUN
    • Up x 1
  2. Fellgnome

There is a word for "playing abusively" in PS2, it's called farming.

It's hard to draw clear lines in PS2 though, because even when playing objectively you can end up in a situation where basically all you have to do is farm spawn rooms.

Personally I've gone all-out cheese for quite awhile now, I got bored with outfit play because it usually leads to boring spawn camps or very frustrating fights where the leaders just aren't understanding they're just getting farmed trying to push a certain base they don't have the numbers for.

As for vehicle vs. infantry farming, I think being able to use an ESF and/or Lib is still the biggest advantage you can have in this game. If you learned to fly PS2's wonky air vehicles when the game was still young and the air game wasn't so brutal, you're in an extremely advantageous situation now. You get to farm a lot of fights that ground simply can't "farm" very well due to stalemate/chokepoints. You also can skip a lot of the redeploy hopping, air can simply fly to a better fight to farm at with pretty good speed. In the "meta" of picking fights and finding easy targets, air is simply the best tool for this.

Of course, the best approach to farming is just playing whatever is ideal for what your map has to offer. I'd say that is still usually air, but sometimes tanks or MAX/infantry have their moments - biolabs and towers I guess.
    • Up x 4
  3. Matti

I think MAXes is still one of the most effective ways to farm and you don't need a bio lab
    or a tower to o it. Did you see this?
  4. Alkezo

I see your MAX and raise you a Prowler.

(not my video)
    • Up x 2
  5. BetAstraal

I'd define it as 'fear to make choices'. When people play other games with a clear storyline, they know they have to get from A to B in the entire game and uninstall, clean the disk for the next game, install, do it all again. When they are presented with a sandbox game where there is no defined A and B, meaning you have to choose to do something, they freeze. 'What do you mean i gotta choose what i want to do?' or 'What do i do now / What now?' or 'What do i have to do?' etc etc.

I play PS2 for the gameplay itself, for the different scenarios and elements it offers that i can choose from freely because i like them. Flying is my all-time favorite, magriding was another favorite until the Supernova VPC nerf - used to solo and switching to the PPA on top is annoying, whatever, you get the idea, and don't start asking why solo in a 2/2 destined tank), recently i enjoy the MAX, and there are times when i play any of the infantry stuff, whatever suits me for the moment.

Just the other day for example a friend of mine asked me if i could show him the ropes of PS2 and eventually get into it. Then he asked (after explaining him a bit and getting the general idea, so the following went as he knew the context):
    Him: - What's your goal in this game?
    Me: - To do whatever you want.
    Him: - ?... What... do you mean by 'whatever i want'?
    Me: - Exactly that. Do whatever you want with what it offers.
    Him: - I don't know what that means. I don't know how to do that.

This answer came as a literal shock to me. He backed off from it in the end, he couldn't comprehend the idea of making his own choices. And he's not the only one, i've met LOTS of people asking the same and reacting the same, my brother included, about MMO sandbox games like PS2 or Eve (which i played as well a while back and basically has the same answer).

So yea, that's the conclusion i reached on 2 ends.
    1. Many people are afraid to make their own choices.
    2. I'm not so sure about this one, but i suspect it also has to do with 'something killed me, nerf pls!' mentality instead of adapting.

I never for ONCE cried for a nerf (though i admit i did get in a raging mood every now and then). I only adapted to the situation. The worst thing i had to adapt to so far was fighting against experienced dalton libs as an ESF. Took a while, got over it, now i'm focusing on beating AA Galaxies. Nerf? I'm not that weak. Or bored yet. Or narrow-minded.

Bottom line: bring it on! My fun is done only when not in the mood of playing PS2.
  6. Matti

Just lol!
  7. Leeloo

I seenotyour Prowler and raise you... uhmmm... may hat! :D
  8. vanu123

LMAO and people complain about PPA farming, the hypocrisy is incredible.
  9. vanu123

Remember when everyone wanted combined arms gameplay? Yea me neither.
    • Up x 1
  10. Thesweet

I wouldn't call them fun, yes we have many different items, but for a large part they are basic, take the tank for example. It has a main gun a secondary, some health, some armour and a weak spot on the rear. Pretty much like the bf4 tanks except less weapon options. It has been done before with less options than bf4.
    It's basic in every way, there are no weapon options to work in tandem with infantry or air, no cooperation except for spot. This leaves a fairly dull game.
  11. gibstorm

It's because there is no competitive seen for this game.

There are 2 types of games. Games with competitive ranking like CS:GO or starcraft2 which have a system the rewards you for beating better players. You KDR does NOT matter. Beating better players so you can climb the ladder does to show how good you are is what matters.

Then there are uncompetitive like CoD or PS2. Their is no reward for fighting equal skill players here so players focus on KDR to show skill. This means beating on weaker players in the cheapest ways you can think of to up your KDR.
    • Up x 1
  12. Tuco

So the problem is team deathmatch and the solution is Battle Island team deathmatch.
  13. gibstorm

He means good players need a spot to actual have matches against other skilled players. Right now all some is camp dirty spots to watch their KDR climb
    • Up x 1
  14. Tuco

If it weren't for the solo players the zergfits would have nobody to spawn camp.
  15. Tuco

He means he doesn't know the problem or the solution.
  16. gibstorm

The problem is there is nothing to do expect farm people in the cheapest way possible so you can say look I got my KDR up 1 point now i am good.

This means most competitive players have quit or just farm bad players making their lives miserable

Having a competitive arena would give some for players to do other then that
  17. Fellgnome

MAXes can be absurd in the right situation I wouldn't deny that(I play mainly MAX and have high KD on all characters due to this), but those situations are somewhat limited whereas air has more fight options and unlike a MAX doesn't have to lose the vehicle they spent resources on to move across a map to a better fight. Granted right now resources are such that you still pull MAXes frequently, but you will run into resource issues if you don't find fights that last long enough.

MAXes are certainly easier to use though, so there's that advantage. Not that skill/experience doesn't make a difference with MAXes, but you don't have the high skill ceiling that air does. Most players are more a danger to themselves than anyone else in an ESF.

The big difference is that magrider can do this in way more situations than the prowler can. Not all bases have conveniently prowler/vanguard accessible angles directly into high traffic indoor areas.

Plus, the PPA is a secondary that's just clearly way better than either of the other AI secondaries and ruins infantry gameplay enough that SOE pretty much couldn't leave it alone 'cause players weren't going to stop complaining about it. Kind of like when ZOE was spammed so relentlessly it was impossible to just ignore how broken it was.
    • Up x 1
  18. Xasapis

Now that AV grenades have been severely nerfed, I expect to see more MAXes, MAX crashes and subsequent more complains about MAΧes being OP etc ...
  19. CipherNine

I also think poorly designed competitive environment is main culprit for bad long-term player retention.

Theme-park MMOs tend to be more popular than sandbox MMO. One exception is EVE Online and what that game has going for itself is strong competitive environment. Planetside on the other hand is sandbox MMO with poorly designed competitive environment(no team balance, 3 factions instead of independent player-made outfits, no outfit ELO ranking etc). Without competition only thing that can keep players playing is constant content upgrades (we had these in the form of OP battlefield changing weapons :p but it seems SOE abandoned that practice due to player pressure).
  20. Pineapple Pizza!

:eek: BATTLEFIELD CHANGING WEAPONS :eek:

...what did I miss? Never heard of stuff like that before