Is the resource system ever going to be made not-awful or is this pretty much it?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Frostiken, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Frostiken

Since the changes, I've run out of resources just about exactly once. Every single battle is fighting a practically infinite stream of vehicles, because blowing up tanks just doesn't matter anymore. Resources fill so quickly that I almost never see it anywhere except at 750.

So... were there supposed to be more changes to make this less awful, or is this just how it's going to be forever? Because you might as well just delete resources altogether at this point, they are totally inconsequential.
    • Up x 12
  2. Hatesphere

the current system is stage 1 of 3, a single nanite pool. stage two sees each base having its own nanite pool for people to pull from to restore their own nanites, that is resupplied over time by lattice links. stage three is "ants" vehicles designed to run resourced between bases.
    • Up x 5
  3. Frostiken

... why didn't they just do all the changes all at once? What's the point? This is like serving a cake by feeding your guests a bowl of flour.
    • Up x 9
  4. Hatesphere

yeah, but the old resource system was just a bundle of wheat.
    • Up x 3
  5. Schizomatic

Freggen' Bio Labs fights always drain me of nanites with all the C4 use.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

Because it would take a cr*p load of more time. o_O Nanite truck transport stuff.
    • Up x 1
  7. Munq

Because they need to keep pumping out new stuff to keep the game "fresh". Flaws in the core gameplay forces this. Which is all about zerging/having more people than opposition. So the only way to keep people playing, apart from complete gameplay overhaul (would require absurd amount of work, won't happen), is to keep adding "new" crap. I have to admit, the directives can be entertaining. For a while.
    • Up x 1
  8. Leftconsin

I love this resource system. If I want to fly, I fly. If I want to tank, I tank. If I want to walk, I go for a jolly stroll. And there is no shortage of vehicles for me to shoot at.

Flying before the resource update was pretty bad as a pilot learning to fly. Real bad. There were few ESFs to dogfight against to learn that part of the game and almost all of them were dedicated pilots who would one clip you. Now the air game is much more accessible. I'm seeing a wider range of skill in the air and it is great!

Tanking before meant taking a LOT of care of your tank. A tank push across a big field. They get smashed and now everyone is without tanks for a long while. Vehicles would come in waves. I didn't like it.

Even MAXes get in on this and is a better example. MAX crashes before would come like clockwork every ten minutes in biolab fights. Attacking PL would call for a MAX crash to the generator -> it succeeds -> defending PL brings a MAX crash to take the generator back -> it succeeds -> sit around for ten minutes and repeat after MAX cooldown is over.

TL;DR This resource system better promotes combined arms. This resource system better allows players to play the aspect of the game they want. Even with these easy flowing resources there are still a lot of people who either refuse to do something other than infantry, or are just forgetting to use up resources.
    • Up x 2
  9. Munq

Shame the combined arms is meaningless in the big picture and is dwarfed by infantry. It has to be this way because everyone can use vehicles. If vehicles were actually powerful/useful, nobody would be playing infantry. When you don't limit the use of anything, you have to balance everything around the lowest common denominator, which is single infantryman. Infantryman > everything else. There is a lot more to why vehicles can't be powerful in this game, most of the reasons revolve around core gameplay philosophies that SOE decided to follow when they started developing the game.
    • Up x 7
  10. Frostiken

I remember playing during the beta saying basically this exact same thing with regards to MBTs being single-manned vehicles and why it was stupid.
    • Up x 1
  11. Hatesphere

the driver of a MBT should never have been put in charge of the main gun.
    • Up x 7
  12. Frostiken

But then all the Battlefield kiddies would be confused!
    • Up x 2
  13. Mitheledh

Why not?
  14. Hatesphere

because it means you are now extremal effective as a lone wolf player leveraging a force multiplier and its makes it so that a MBT being a 2 person vehicle is mostly optional. see the prowler.
    • Up x 6
  15. Vanir

I think devs have realized that and is why all new vehicles that have come out (Harasser & Valk) don't have the drivers controlling the guns.
  16. Frostiken

It's almost like we told them so.
    • Up x 3
  17. Ixidron

And they are incredibly useless, specially in EU servers, because there are like 30 languages here, this is why we didn't even notice the Harasserside period in EU servers (what I did notice was a lot of harassers exploding), this is why most Harassers are now manned by one guy who sits in a hill, spams his weapons and runs away every time he gets shot.

This is why I almost never see liberators (curiously today I saw one, didn't last long) or successful Valkyries, from time to time I see a galdrop, but it never ends well.

Those deadly wraith flashes with Decimator HAs everyone is complaining about? never saw one.

Driving is not fun, relying on another guy to get xp is not fun, even gunning gets annoying when you tell the driver you cannot hit the target from that position and he answers in a language you don't understand.
    • Up x 4
  18. Diilicious

You really want to encourage that many game breaking bugs into the servers all at once? really?

they cant even make a hotfix to some issue without breaking <add completely unrelated thing here>

if they added all those things in at once i fear that you would be forced to eat thrice those words of frustration.
  19. Diilicious

also if they make the driver not the gunner, i wont be driving MBT's ever again. when the whole world speaks only English or <insert language here> and ONLY that language then we can do that, im not having some person controlling the weapon of the tank i just spawned when i cant even communicate with them, or so they can go AFK or some other ********. forget that.
    • Up x 1
  20. MrJengles

There are still some intermediate steps that could be done while we await ANTs and facility power, such as having resource income rates tied to population and resource upkeep for vehicles.

As it is now, grenades and vehicles are completely about spam and the choice of when to use them and the cost of losing is almost non-existent. That completely detracts from a tactical/strategic experience.

Pull a Lightning? SOE kind of ruined the 1-person or 2-person choice. Old news though.
    • Up x 1