[Suggestion] Now that Cloaking is generic across the different settings...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Korfax124, Oct 3, 2014.

1. t31os

Has made no difference to me, still getting in all the same places i did before with my SMG infil.

Cloak is concealment not invisibility.
    • Up x 3
  2. ChampagneDragon

Surprisingly after the first day I have not noticed any difference. Maybe it was just the fight I was in? Maybe something got "Tweaked" in the hotfix that came out two hours after patch? Maybe it was something else...
  3. Taemien

Holy crap, someone else understands this.

Kudos good sir.
  4. iller

It's time they finally gave crouch walking it's own Opacity / Shader depth like deep-cloak has.
    (not exactly the same AS d.c., just closer to it than full bore running is)
  5. Rohxer

Fixed, and then unfixed a few patches ago. Still broken now.
  6. Rohxer

No, they just added stalker cloak; that was the only "massive buff" to cloak. "Deep cloak" already existed, but was relatively unknown/rarely used until stalker's "perma-cloak" happened and made it more well known.
  7. Rohxer

Actually, your fart sounds are heard all the way to render-distance (300m). Though this requires a very quiet battlefield. Out to 150m is easily discernible in all but the most obnoxious vehicle-spam battles.
  8. Iridar51

Yes, they did. After the patch infiltrators were twice as hard for me to see in all stances. Previously I had zero trouble hunting almost all infiltrators that came to my sight, only the best ones could escape. After the patch a lot of them started to slip away. I knew about deep cloak, and that's not what I'm talking about.
  9. Diilicious

if it was really only for concealment then why do infiltrators and cloaked flashes not cast shadows?

the cloak doesnt make you 100% invisible, therefore you would have a shadow whether you liked it or not.

so to be honest the cloak is supposed to make you invisible, its just bloody terrible at doing that.

the amount of infiltrators i kill and im just thinking "oh you poor bugger, you thought you were actually invisible", just a huge wobbly glass object running around the battlefield, not hard to miss.
  10. DK22

I play on high, but since the change I swear I can see them even better. maybe just lucky, dunno....
  11. Unsp0kn

It bends light around the character, so I don't see why it couldn't conceal a shadow as well. Not like it's realistic or anything.
  12. Taemien

Graphic oversight. Besides, no one has shadows on my end. I've turned them off. That doesn't mean everyone is invisible. If it were meant to be invisible, then you wouldn't be able to see them, period. They wouldn't even render.

If I can see a shimmer, its concealment, not invisibility.
  13. Crator

Where are you getting this from? Not seeing anything about it since the 10/2 Update Notes..
  14. Rohxer

I'm getting it from actually testing in-game. The update notes are lies.

I personally tested and reported after the patch in this forum. I use two machines and two accounts to test. I didn't post a video because I've already done it enough times in the past and after a while it becomes redundant :p (and only makes me madder! :mad:)
  15. Diilicious

they deliberately removed cloaked flash shadows in the last update.

but you can see them, so they should have a shadow if they are only for concealment.

if you can see something its because light is being reflected off the object back into your retina, if light is managing to get back to you at all then not all the light is being bent so you would still have a shadow. sure its not a SUPER REALISTIC game, but there is such a thing as basic physics.

they are supposed to be invisible hence the no shadow, the invisibility is just absolutely godawful.
  16. Rohxer

Not sure how you quantify "twice as hard", lol, (and seriously - what "massive" buff?) but here's what I recall.

Patch notes from Feb/2014 said:

The last three bullet points actually were not fixed as described in the patch, as I and others posted video evidence of at the time. It took a few months before they finally fixed those (search my posts if you care, I posted many videos after the patch of the bugs).

You seem to be referring to the first bullet point. My specific recollection on this is that there was never any concrete proof that anything changed, and there were certainly no before/after proof screenshots or videos ever posted. In fact, the only reference I can find to it was a post a couple of weeks after the Feb 2014 patch on this forum with several anecdotal stories that cloak became even *more* visible: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/cloaking-visibility-touched-again.176365/

If someone currently is unable to see a cloaked infiltrator running around at short-medium range then they probably need to clean their monitor, because it couldn't be any more visible and still be called "cloaked". If you really think the current state of the (non-stalker) cloak is a "massive buff" compared to what it was a year ago, I've just got to disagree completely. Visibility is just as great, and bugs are still in plenty.
  17. Tommyp2006

Well PS2 has never had basic physics so....

Besides, I really don't think this engine is capable of changing the saturation of shadows, it could very well be an on/off kind of thing.
  18. Unsp0kn

Yeah, with the way the aircraft "fly" I'm not sure physics really applies to this game. I think the cloak is great, means you have to be aware of your surroundings and be smart when you move, de-cloak, or spot enemies. If infiltrators could go 100% invisible I honestly wouldn't like it and people would troll the hell out of it as it would be too easy to penetrate the enemy lines. You can still do that now, just have to be smart. It is so satisfying to knife someone as a stalker. #doingitright
  19. Axehilt

I don't think anywhere that link takes me could live up to my expectation (Giant red flashing letters that say "Learn to play, scrub!")

Cloak was never about true invisibility. It was always about being invisible enough to flank like a complete badass.
  20. Exonis

I don't care about your bickering of whether it's concealment or invisibility, because it fails at both.
    The cloak is too visible, plain and simple.

Personally, I think they should start with just a small buff of maybe 10%-15% reduction of light refraction.
    This will help infiltrators be able to supposedly be "invisible enough to flank like a complete badass."