Constructive Feed back for the Striker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Borsty, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Kanil

I'm extremely curious to know: what sidearm kills a Flash in 6 shots?
  2. Chrispin

None, but what sidearm takes longer than 10 seconds to kill a Flash? Striker does, and the Beamer takes just under 10 seconds.
  3. Kanil

Uhm, what? Striker does not take 10 seconds to kill a Flash, and it sure does it faster than the Repeater.

That said, Striker's damage output against the Flash is probably set incorrectly. It kills a Vanguard in 15 shots (2 reloads, or the same as Decimator) so presumably it's intended to one clip a Flash.
  4. cruczi

Oooh, it looks like they did change it. I was going by the Beamer vs Striker video circulating around here somewhere which I thought was still relevant, but if 6 shots is all it takes then that's a bit over 7 seconds to kill.

I was referring to TTK though not number of shots. Number of shots hardly matters on its own ,you need to account for TTK right?

7 seconds is still not very good for a rocket launcher, all the alternative rocket launchers are much, much faster, with most of them being OHK. Meanwhile a TX1 Repeater up close kills a Flash in only 3 mags and 1 burst which takes about 9 seconds. That small a difference between a pistol and a rocket launcher is still screaming for lack of common sense.
  5. Ztiller

Yeah, give it 50% higher DPS than the Decimator, 3x the velocity and the ability to lock onto air. Balance!
    • Up x 1
  6. Chrispin

Any questions?
    • Up x 1
  7. cruczi

No, just pointing out that Striker actually took around 7 seconds and scrap while Beamer took over 10
  8. Kanil

Conversely, the stock dumbfire kills a Vanguard in 15.6s, and the Striker can kill it in 16.2s. The Decimator doing it in 11.4s suggests that the Striker needs a buff, but that hardly seems to me to be a screaming lack of common sense.

Meanwhile, the Lancer kills a Vanguard in... ... a long time.

Let's do some math, shall we?
    The Striker has a refire time of 0.5s, and has to fire 6 shots to kill the Flash. You get the first round free, so it takes the Striker 2.5s to fire the 6 missiles required to kill the Flash. The Striker has a 4.6s long reload, and a 4s short reload. Worst case scenario, you kill the Flash in 7.1s, and if you take advantage of the short reload, it's 6.6s.

Both of which are faster than the 10s of the Beamer.
  9. Chrispin

Yea woops the TTK for the Beamer is actually a little less. Striker still takes about 9 seconds while Beamer takes about 10.
  10. cruczi

As Striker needs the user to stay out in the open for the whole magazine duration and has low alpha damage allowing tanks to more easily evade the remaining 4 shots, it should have lower theoretical TTK than any other dumb fire. High risk, high reward.

The advantage with the stock and deci is they can quickly peek out and fire, and get back into cover - good luck doing that with Striker, you'll be dead shortly after firing the first shot against most decent tankers.

In addition to all that, you won't always be able to get the full DPS out of the Striker because sometimes you'll need to take a bit more time to aim each rocket for them to hit, and sometimes you'll mistime the click given that the weapon is not automatic. This distances Striker's TTK even further from the other dumb fires which can reach their full DPS much more easily.

Yes, and that's perfectly fine because Lancer isn't a dumbfire sidegrade, it has a completely different role. Striker is a dumbfire sidegrade.

It definitely didn't take 9 seconds, watch again. Striker starts firing a bit before the 2 second mark and finishes at 9.5.
  11. Kanil

Which is why I've said twice (now three times) that the Striker needs a buff... but if one bugged damage value against the least used ground vehicle and a 4% increase in TTK compared to stock is a "screaming lack of common sense" then I really think you should reevaluate your expectations of SOE's balance team. These people made ZOE, after all...

Also, the Striker guy killing the Flash used ADS, which consumes time that the Beamer example did not.
  12. MahouFairy

Why not just re-enable the lock on to the Striker, with the option of firing PURELY dumbfired rockets if one wants to take on a tank at close range. The damage of the weapon against vehicles should also be reverted back to to the pre-02/10/14 Striker, but the damage against infantry could remain as it is right now.

Frankly speaking, it is quite impossible to hit an air target unless it is performing a strafing run on you, and that pretty much defeats its role as an AV/AA rocket launcher.
  13. Moisted

When I buy a crossbow which I use for a certain amount of time and after awhile I get a throwingspear instead I'm not an happy customer. It's not that a throwingspear is a lesser weapon than the crossbow, it's just not the weapon I payed for.

The new striker, which in my eyes is a crap weapon compared to the old one, is NOT what I payed for. When Planetside 2 decides to change a weapon so drastically, you should also give the customer the option for a refund of their stationcash of certs. Seems only fair, right?
    • Up x 1
  14. Alarox

Neither will a Decimator.
  15. OldMaster80

We can't base a constructive discussion about balancing on videos of people shooting parked vehicles in the VR from 10 meters. Those seconds are merely theoretical because outside the VR an average skilled player will never manage to land all those rockets.
    Beside the ridicolouse damage the biggest striker's problem right now is rockets are extremely slow. They are so slow you simply cannot hit aircraft. Put a driver on that Flash, the performance chassis, and it's granted it will take much more than 10 seconds to take it down.

There should be a trade off between skill needed to hit, damage and versatility. The new Striker fails instead from evey point of view: it's bloody hard to hit targets, it deals ridicolous damage to vehicles, it's weaker than a stock gun against infantry (1 clips to kill 1 foot soldier).

No one pretends to turn it into a freaking orbital strike launcher but right now it became a pure piece of garbage. There is no reason to prefer it to other rocket launchers. Personally I didn't manage to destroy nor kill anything with that since they changed it. Not a single target. It's not nerfed: it's freaking broken, it's next to useless. They refunded ZOE when it got nerfed, now I will send a ticket every day until they refund me my 1000SC I've spent for the Striker.
  16. TheKhopesh

I bought both the standard and AE versions of the ESRL's.

And actually, (though I haven't used the striker since last I tested it on PTS for the new changes), I actually kinda like them.
    The Phoenix is my favorite, simply because it's the most fun, but otherwise, I like them all (Especially how the lancer can do about 95% damage in one mag to a max suit if you know what you're doing).
  17. Zotamedu

I think there's only one small change they need to do and that is to buff damage. If you sacrifice alpha damage, you should be rewarded with sustained damage instead. So damage per reload should be high if damage per rocket is low. Or else there is not point in using it. The Decimator has a higher damage than the stock launcher because it's heavier and have slower fire rate thanks to the slower reload. So basically, you need an insentive not to use a high alpha damage launcher. Standing around means higher risk, where is the reward? So the easiest thing would be to just increase the damage per rocket. Give it a damage buff until it surpasses the Decimator per reload. That means it still has a lower total DPS than the Decimator but you get some kind of reward for standing around. The Lancer has the velocity and range. The Phoenix has the control. The Striker currently has nothing to reward the risk.

As for the air lock on thing. Right now it's utterly pointless. I've tried shooting at aircraft and I have yet to see it track anything. When I get a hit, it's on low and slow flying aircraft which I could have hit with my Decimator. At anything other than stationary or very low flying target, the rocket velocity is too low and the lock of range to narrow to be even remotely effective. So to compensate for the increase in damage I suggest, you can feel free to remove it. It's no loss in its current state and we really do have a lot of other alternatives when it comes to AA. I have both the Grounder and the Annihilator. If there's lots of air, I'll pull a burster MAX or a Skyguard. I don't really need another launcher. The buffed damage would actually be a more significant buff against air than just an increase in lock on range. Since you'll still not hit anything with the lock on unless you hit them straight on. Then I prefer to trust my aim and actually do damage when I hit rather than having an aim assist that still does no damage when I hit.
  18. Huishe

Striker needs to, like all other ESRL launchers:
    a) be nothing really good alone but a NIGHTMARE against the preferred target in group
    b) have a niche where it is better than anything else

Lancer is currently the god of long-range AV duty. It can shoot way out of render range and kill things due to very high velocity. OK
    Phoenix is currently the god of small to mid range AV duty. It can shoot from places enemy can't shoot into and destroy all vehicles around that place. OK

So, Striker needs to be good at AV and protect user from tanks under some specific circumstances. Long range thing could be achieved with drop nerf, velocity buff and coyote mechanic against vehicles. Alternatively, it could become the shoulder-mounted wire-guided missile launcher. Thing is, alone that would not kill much, just like lancer. When there are 6 users of that, things change, and that's still useful in the range where anni is not. Win.

As a compensation for actually useful ability, striker could use his anti-aircraft coyote lock. Because seriously, it's useless.
  19. Xasapis

ESRL = Empire specific rocket launcher or Striker (TR), Lancer (VS) and Phoenix (NC). None of those can one shot infantry (MAXes are something different).
  20. Zotamedu

So you are comparing theoretical damage output from the Striker when actual time is available with the actual time for a pistol? You are missing a couple of important aspects.
    1, Since the Striker is not full auto, you will never get the highest possible refire time since your clicking will not match up. You are just mashing the mouse button and hope it fires.
    2, ADS takes time and without ADS, it's useless.
    3, Are you seriously considering a roughly equal TTK for a pistol and a rocket launcher to be even remotely fine?
    • Up x 1