[Suggestion] Battle Rifle Overhaul

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Joexer, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Joexer

These need burst fire mode, as a battle rifle should. Just give them all 2 or 3 round burst and they will be a whole different weapon, and very useful for a mid-long range support, Currently they feel like a secondary with a scope (TX2 Emperor in particular). Open to all thoughts. Questions. but I think this is self explanatory... It would also make long-er range support more viable but not enough to overlap entirely on the SASR infiltrator population and still be restricted from light assaults.
    • Up x 6
  2. Flamberge

Would be good, however at the range BRs are useful, it would be difficult to ensure both shots hit.
    • Up x 4
  3. Joexer

Exactly. Make it a ranged weapon that requires skill to use. For example, When i use the TRAP-M1 to snipe, I realize that you have to learn the recoil pattern and compensate, and I feel like that feature would make the BR's have a steeper learning curve, but greater reward for the skill required to use it properly. Thanks for the input btw.
  4. Neo3602

That change could work though IMO I would rather have ES Battle rifles because as it stands stat wise they are all the same, except for the VS one which has no bullet drop
  5. Flamberge

NP. Battle rifles are very near and dear to my heart, so I like ideas on improving them. Also, something else that might come up, is that people might complain of a one-shot kill. In the hands of very good players, they may be able to land every bullet in the burst (2 or 3) in the head, which isn't really one shot kill, but kind of is.
    Maybe release a second type of BR, with slightly lower damage, but burst fire and a larger mag?
    Also,
    Not quite:
    [IMG]
    The Warden has slightly faster reload time.
    However, I do support ES BRs. They do seem a bit cookie cutter at the moment.
  6. Neo3602

@Flamberg SOE could add 2 new BRs to each faction the first one would be Burst fire and could change from 2 and 3 shot bursts, lower recoil, and a larger mag at the cost of lower damage per-shot and the need to have good recoil control to land a full burst at range. Also the burst fire BRs would have mostly the same stats across each of the factions. The second ones would be the ES BRs.

The TR one would have low damage per shot(143), have a fairly large mag, and shoot in 2 shot bursts at a fast rate of fire(900RPM), would have little horizontal recoil with mostly vertical recoil with a low firs shot multiplier and would function like the AN-94 in Battlefield 3 as in it would have a high theoretical DPS but it would be hard to reach with out a macro and even if you did the recoil would be uncontrollable out side of short range.

The NC one would have high damage per shot(300) and have a higher than average head shot multiplier(2.5) which would reward accurate players with the ability to do a head shot body shot combo to get a kill, it would also have higher than average bullet velocity as well as recoil.

The VS one would be able to switch between a lower damage higher ROF burst fire mode for closer ranges and a higher damage slower firing mode for longer ranges.
    • Up x 2
  7. CornyWarfare

What if it was a 2-3 round burst, but you have to hold the mouse button down through the burst, so you can still shoot single shots without taking the extra time to change the firing mode?
  8. Flamberge

So much this. Kind of like the scout rifles, more variety. I have also been lobbying for a ~300 damage slower firing BR for some time now. Any of these ideas would be great, and would also make the infil crowd happy, as maybe we could have separate scout rifle and battle rifle directives.
  9. Erendil

The in-game stat screens contain a lot of inaccuracies. Don't believe them. ;)

A much better reference for infantry weapons is this, since its data is pulled directly from the game files (updated as of 08/06/14): https://docs.google.com/a/efsllc.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&type=view&gid=92&f=true&colid0=2&filterstr0=BATTLE RIFLE&sortcolid=1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

As you can see, all three Battle Rifles are identical (including reloads), except that the Eidolon has no bullet drop in exchange for 30m/s slower muzzle velocity.

OT, I like the concept of a BR sidegrade weapon that fires slightly slower in semi-auto but also has a burst fire mode. But I'd like to keep the current BRs semi-auto only. I love and use the hell outta the Eidolon specifically because it's a long range, high-damage, semi-auto weapon. You're right that giving it a burst fire would make it a whole different weapon. But it'd also be one that I'd be much less interested in using since it'd lose much of its semi-auto, DMR playstyle.

I'd much prefer they just give the current BRs the buffs that they need: 0 recoil angle (so recoil goes straight up instead of pulling to the right), .03 ADS CoF, and a slight increase in either Damage, RoF, or (my preference) ADS Movement Mulitplier.
  10. Neo3602

@Erendil I think that SOE will save the .75 ADS Movement speed multiplier for the inevitable release of a NS Battle rifle though hopefully SOE would expand the BR selection a bit first.
  11. Erendil

Yeah, you're probably right. One can dream tho. :p

I'd probably be just as happy w/ a RoF increase.
  12. UnDeaD_CyBorG

I'd prefer a Bolt Action BR.
    TR can have a 2 shot burst instead, harder to control, more damage. ;)
    That said, we have an entire weapon family with just one gun per faction, raising that a little would go a long way. Maybe towards having their own direction?
    • Up x 1
  13. OldMaster80

Honestly I think if you give them a 3 burst they will OHK the target.
    I'd say what BR need is attachements to make them more viable in close quarter combat. At the moment BRs work great as long range weapon, but once you are in cq fights you better switch to other weapons like carbines, Smgs or shotguns. This lack of versatility really hurts.
  14. Joexer

Battle rifles are supposed to perform poorly in cqc. They are mid-long range weapons. Use a pistol for cqc. they actually perform quite well in this scenario.

Also I realized that the warden has a faster reload speed than the other two, and the eidilon (i know its misspelled) has lower velocity but no drop.Tr... nuthin... i feel like at least the tr rifle should get a similar buff. like slightly larger magazine size (24) or slightly higher rof (360rpm). The warden should do more damage and have higher velocity by a a little but reload should be longer... its NC right? vs should get quicker reload.
  15. MAXArmar

Even at those ranges, a Pulsar C is often way more effective.
  16. Rich9115

i feel like the ranges for the battle rifles damage drop off is too short they should have better damage for longer range because thats what they are used for. or just up the base damage so that they can hold their own a bit better when in a close range situation caused by the weapon not doing enough long range damage
    • Up x 6
  17. Erendil

AFAIK BRs are the only non-sniper-rifle weapons that are so bad in CQC that you're better off switching to your pistol. Yet they don't have nearly as good performance at long/extreme range (150m+).

They don't need much of a boost at close range, but they do need something.

For long range improvement:
    • .03 ADS COD
    • Recoil pull to the right removed
    For short range improvement (choose one):
    • RoF increase from 333RPM to 375RPM
    • min damage distance increased from 8m to 25m
    • Max/Min damage increase from 250/220 to 300/240 (this would reduce the STK needed vs Nano5 by 1)
    [quote="]Also I realized that the warden has a faster reload speed than the other two, and the eidilon (i know its misspelled) has lower velocity but no drop.Tr... nuthin... i feel like at least the tr rifle should get a similar buff. like slightly larger magazine size (24) or slightly higher rof (360rpm). The warden should do more damage and have higher velocity by a a little but reload should be longer... its NC right? vs should get quicker reload.[/quote]

Reload speed of all 3 BRs is identical, despite what the in-game screenshots say. So Warden and AMR-66 are identical in every way but their model and sound.[/quote]
  18. Erendil

Blah I messed up the formatting on the second portion of my last post. I'd should've shown like:

Reload speed of all 3 BRs is identical, despite what the in-game screenshots say. So Warden and AMR-66 are identical in every way but their model and sound.
  19. Vosrash

So we want a TRAP for everyone? Honestly i think the trap should stay where it is because ES sniper rifles are already few and far between, now if we want to create some variance between the three and say, give the TR an ES battle rifle like their ES flavor of the sniper that would probably be fine, the VS would probably love something like the phaseshift as well. Problem would be then that the NC would end up with something like the railjack if they follow the precedent, and frankly I think we can all agree the railjack was by in large not in anyway noticeably different from other sniper rifles after they put that ungodly .2s delay as the extra alpha really doesn't amount to too much. Extra alpha would be nice on the BR since it requires more shots to kill something but they will most likely again not put enough on it for it to matter in 90% of the scenarios you will use it in. Hopefully they could use this an opportunity to think of a new way to flavor NC guns that are not full auto but i wouldn't put any money on it.
  20. Flamberge

I would actually be absolutely fine with
    • Decreasing ROF
    • Drastically increase damage, maybe even with an inversed damage dropoff (Does more damage the farther out you go, instead of less, so hitting something within 10 meters may only deal 100 damage, but hitting something 70 meters may give 300)