Meanwhile, on r/planetside, people are complaining about the new overlay. Let's help them !

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Sep 3, 2014.

1. UberBonisseur

So, in light of the recent changes to the n°1 source for everything Planetside, users have been complaining about a recent change in the interface. Among the issues brought up, the two most common arguments are:

• A lack of "Planetside" in the general theme of the subreddit
    • A poorly intuitive user interface
    Even the SOE employees can confirm:

Malorn@xalorn 8h
    @XanderClauss inorite @RoyAwesome is fixing what isn't broken

Taylor Dowell@Tayradactyl 8h
    @XanderClauss It's like a microcosm of game criticism in general.

Malorn@xalorn 6h
    @FBINinja @XanderClauss @RoyAwesome def not getting any enjoyment out of this

Malorn@xalorn 3h
    @Westy543 @XanderClauss @RoyAwesome Sometimes folks just gotta move off of 1990's UI design and put pertinent information in the periphery.

BUT FEAR NOT, we, the forumside dwellers, are going to help our fellow Reddit companions. THERE IS A REMEDY TO THEIR ILLNESS. A BOARD THAT CAN BOAST STABILITY AND USABILITY. A BOARD THAT TRULY LOOKS AND FEELS PLANETSIDE. A BOARD THAT HAS MODERN, 21th century FUNCTIONALITIES, SUCH AS PARAGRAPHS, INSERTED PICTURES, FONT SIZE AND COLOR, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY CAN HANDLE OVER 140 CHARACTERS:

THE OFFICIAL PLANETSIDE 2 FORUMS

So, here is how we can help, in three, short simple steps:

-Go to http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/
    -Create an account. It's quick and free !
    -Encourage the reddit users to switch the the official forums

Voila !
    Not only you have improved their user experience, but you have strenghtened the community by uniting Forumside and Reddit ! Now fly, my angels, and spread the word !

PS: now, before this goes in the moderator's trash can for being "irrelevant" to planetside, I'm actually voicing my discontent about how neglected those forums are. SOE boasts the best community interaction the the market, but in reality Forumside has been treated for a long time like the undesired child of the community. Beyond the formatting and othe reasons I've mentionned, any sustained discussion on Reddit CANNOT HAPPEN. Everything dies within 24h on Reddit. It's even worse when Higby asks a question on Twitter, and expects a solid response of less than 140 characters.

Any time we're mentionning this issue of SOE using Reddit over their official forums, RadarX is sent as a mediator, as a sign of goodwill while there are a ridiculous disproportion of the SOE employees using Reddit. While forums can not be a pleasant place, and I plead guilty at times, the only thing you can get out of reddit is a self-sustaining majority rule that does nothing to help constructive critiscim
    • Up x 15
  2. UberBonisseur

Come on, we need to give the poor folks a hand
  3. Flag

Now all we need is to have Vehicle Sub Forum back...
    • Up x 7
  4. PurpleBeefer

i miss the magrider talks
  5. FireclawX

6. Flag

I miss the plethora of vehicle talk, not just the magrider stuff.

Here... Well it both drowns in the general chatter and I "fondly" recall saying I would avoid it in favour of the vehicle section because one was less ******** than the other.

Oh the times...
  7. UberBonisseur

Gotta decrease those server maintenance costs, know what I mean ?
  8. Revanmug

You know what isn't 21th century? The stupidity of some people to stick to 1 platform rather than as many as possible.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ronin Oni

You realize that entire thread is a JOKE, mostly aimed at THESE FORUMS and the way people post in angst at the devs.

:rolleyes:
  10. Ronin Oni

11. UberBonisseur

Actually, you can just put it in your signature !

Look below, how much reading I have bestowed upon you
  12. Ronin Oni

AAAAAAAAAND I'll read none of it.
  13. FireclawX

I'm not sure about you, but what I mean by "bumping" isn't just posting mindless drivel at the bottom of some post. Generally I'm talking about adding to the discussion in a constructive way.

Anyway, even if Reddit is > forums. That's fine. BUT when important **** happens, it should be posted to the forums as well as reddit. There's no reason not to. And that's the point I'm trying to make here.

When 32 bit client was broken, and controller support was removed. Forumside needed to know just as much as Reddit did. But for some reason, what was announced on Reddit, never made it's way officially to Forumside.
  14. DQCraze

I guess only serious players who post on reddit have anything of value to contribute, the rest of us don't know what the **** we are talking about....
  15. Shanther

Cross post it yourself then. Just like people cross post to reddit from here. Problem solved.
    • Up x 1
  16. Ragarnoy

"Am i out of touch ?.. No, it must be everyone else"
    Do you think that the average player who wants to get information will either 1. Go to the Official forums or 2. Go to a sub reddit?
  17. Shanther

It doesn't matter. If something is posted on reddit cross post it here and vice versa. It solves your problem entirely. Anything else is a personal problem.
  18. Kaska

Depends, is he a redditor (using reddit for some time) or a completely new user who hasn't really used reddit?

Truth be told, not many official forums have a good reputation.
    • Up x 1
  19. Ronin Oni

Make twitter account.

Sub to MHgiby, J_Smedley, Planetside2, and D_Carey

You will NEVER miss another piece of news EVER.

Twitter is the best "Headlines" medium. Doesn't matter where info gets posted, it's always linked on twitter immediately, and some updates never even get posted, they're more like quick and ongoing status updates

If you want to know what's going on "at the moment" then Twitter is the medium.

Get out of the dark ages of single medium communications.

That's so 2000's. We're in the next decade now ;)

Kepp up with the times gramps (tounge in cheek as I'm in the top 15-20% age range. I'm just also tech guy who has no problem evolving with the ever changing digital landscape)
  20. Ronin Oni

Official forums are only ever good in the communities infant stages.

As soon as a game becomes widespread and popular, the forums turn to a cesspit.

This is seen over and Over and OVER again.

Sure, dev's will get just as much hate mail on Twitter... the difference is if someone on Twitter says "**** you guys are morons" the dev can respond with "Well **** you too!" thanks to the "These opinions are mine and not representitive of SOE inc" in profile description.